Reload this Page >

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Thanks, mia. my flight was at 14:23 and was there for a call at 13:00, so wouldn't have worked in April. Good to know the schedule going forward.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You can believe what you like, but PP is clearly designed and marketed as a pre-departure experience Stocking your frig with takeout on every arrival is no different than the CSR idiot who brought 25 guests into the lounge. Yes, it is technically permitted but it simply is not factored into the current pricing by the banks or PP. and now families >3 have to suffer (ie pay to bring in children who consume little) because of a few abusers.

So not to worry - if you keep it up PP will simply start requiring customers to show a departing boarding pass or implement even more onerous rules like Amex did.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
In my role as a lawyer I often say to my clients "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". While you are correct, there is no written rule that you can't hit up a restaurant after arriving and get food to take home with you, it is definitely against the spirit of the rules and something that could likely lead to this benefit disappearing.
I personally don't agree and usually I am one of those that frowns at people who "abuse the system." Not only is there nothing that explicitly states that lounge privileges are only for those departing for the particular venue but PP has specifically required "outgoing boarding passes" for certain venues. IOW, as a lawyer, you would give great weight to the fact a rule has shown specific restrictions to prohibit behavior in other areas, yet not do it in other instances to show the behaviorbin question in those instances is actually acceptable.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:47 am

I regularly use PP in SE Asia and have found it generally very passable.

DPS was a bit busy but I can't complain too much
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
.... Priority Pass is testing a new benefit with Grab, which allows food to be ordered through an app, and picked up at an airport restaurant for consumption elsewhere. ....
Further research reveals that this feature will not include using a Visit to pay for the meal, it's just a marketing tie -in, and therefore less relevant to this discussion.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Boraxo
You can believe what you like, but PP is clearly designed and marketed as a pre-departure experience Stocking your frig with takeout on every arrival is no different than the CSR idiot who brought 25 guests into the lounge. Yes, it is technically permitted but it simply is not factored into the current pricing by the banks or PP. and now families >3 have to suffer (ie pay to bring in children who consume little) because of a few abusers.

So not to worry - if you keep it up PP will simply start requiring customers to show a departing boarding pass or implement even more onerous rules like Amex did.

See? This is the part I hate to say that people always jumped to the conclusion. Specifically, who said I did not have a departing BP?

For the record, the flight I took for that day was LAS-SFO-LAX-SFO.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:34 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

To those who feel PP should only be for departing passengers...

Some airports have arrivals lounges. That's a fact.

In my case, I recently flew UA from ORD to SFO. UA's terminal at ORD lacks PP, so I compensated for this by grabbing lunch at SFO at the Giants Clubhouse. (You may be glad to learn that the service sucked.)

OTOH, even if ORD did have a lounge, I'd go to it, get disappointed (as is the PP case in the states), and then still grab a mediocre bite at an SFO restaurant. Why? What other purpose does the card serve, to jimmy open doors?

Another scenario: at MEX, there are a few PP lounges near each other at T1. I invited one friend to have breakfast at one, then after we got crowded out, escaped to a slightly quieter one. Would you have done the same?
percysmith likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Hey Gary, don't feel bad- I'm in airports with PP lounges and restaurants all the time (esp. PDX), but since I time my arrival to the airport such that I like to get to the gate a few mins before boarding, people like me average it out for those who double-dip
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:25 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Hey Gary, don't feel bad- I'm in airports with PP lounges and restaurants all the time (esp. PDX), but since I time my arrival to the airport such that I like to get to the gate a few mins before boarding, people like me average it out for those who double-dip
If PP isn’t formally limiting “double-dipping,” then the disparaging remark has no weight. However, after having visited a number of PP lounges in the US in the past few months, they generally...suck. They’re basically microcosms for the airports in which they’re based (see PHX/ORD/LGA as examples).

PP already limited the # of guests per entry per lounge - which I 100% support - though I guess that same person could guest two more at another lounge in the same terminal.

Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:38 am
mia

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
PP already limited the # of guests per entry per lounge....
No they have not. Each lounge establishes its own guest policy.

In the USA bank-sponsored Priority Pass memberships typically absorb the fee for admitting a specified number of guests, but that does not create an entitlement to bring guests, nor does it create a limit on the number of guests, it only determines who pays.

Yes, you can invite friends and family to join you in a lounge. Most lounges will allow any number of guests – where a guest limit does apply you can find this within the lounge information pages on our app and website. If you are obtained membership directly from Priority Pass, your guest visits will be charged to your account at a fixed rate. If you have joined the program via a card issuer or another of our partners, then guest fees can vary – please contact your card issuer if you are unsure about these fees. Before you are allowed to enter the lounge you'll be asked to sign to confirm the number of guests, either on a digital screen or using a paper voucher system. Please ensure that the details are clear and correct before signing, as these details are used to process any applicable fees and it can be difficult to rectify errors at a later date. The applicable lounge visit fee for your guests will be charged directly to the nominated payment card linked to your membership. Please note that lounge staff will be unable to provide details about the fee that you will be charged, regardless of whether you joined Priority Pass directly or via a card issuer or other Priority Pass partner.
https://www.prioritypass.com/en/member-support/faq
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I did not feel bad. You seriously think because someone said someone and then I would stop doing something?

I just feel how amazed that how people apply their own value to an issue. I am actually more surprised on how law school teaches students.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by garykung
You seriously think because someone said someone and then I would stop doing something?
Not at all, but the ganging up was just too much. Half the time I eat at PP restaurants I don't even make it to the $28(? $32? it's been that long)
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
I did not feel bad. You seriously think because someone said someone and then I would stop doing something?

I just feel how amazed that how people apply their own value to an issue. I am actually more surprised on how law school teaches students.
ok I’ll take the bait. Law school (and most state bars) have an ethics requirement. So do many business schools post Enron. That doesn’t make lawyers experts but perhaps makes us better educated on the subject.

I dont care care what you do - that’s your business. But that doesn’t make right or ethical and I guarantee that abuse of the PP program will have consequences for everyone.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Tragedy of the commons. Bound to happen
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:42 am
mia

Originally Posted by percysmith
Tragedy of the commons.
I think not. Priority Pass is owned by an insurance company. Their core competence is modelling utilization rates and pricing to reflect it. If they are not charging enough to cover arrival redemptions they will adjust their rates or alter their rules.

We do not see the prices that they charge credit card issuers for sponsored memberships, but we do see their retail prices and guest fees, which increased slightly this year.

It's still early days for the restaurant options, and I would be more concerned about the restaurants that dropped out. I do not think it would have been because Priority Pass sent them too much business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.