Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's five listed on the Android app. Can't access Zurich lounges on the laptop right now.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Has anyone used MSP since the AMEX devaluation? That PGA lounge was always a weird one, with some food credit at the associated restaurants, but not a "restaurant" according to the program.

Since there's no SLC PP (my main hub), I often book through MSP to grab a PGA snack midtrip. If this disappears... sadness.

Just started looking into Chase Visa yesterday to shore up this PP loss.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Has anyone used MSP since the AMEX devaluation? That PGA lounge was always a weird one, with some food credit at the associated restaurants, but not a "restaurant" according to the program..
https://global.americanexpress.com/l...-platinum-card

It's no longer listed in the Amex lounge finder search, so I presume it's gone.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
https://global.americanexpress.com/l...-platinum-card

It's no longer listed in the Amex lounge finder search, so I presume it's gone.

As of right now, the PGA lounge MSP is on the Priority Pass app, whereas all the other restaurants (PF Chang's in LAX, the DEN steak place, etc.) are gone. That's not an AMEX lounge, it's a PP lounge, if that's the difference...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
As of right now, the PGA lounge MSP is on the Priority Pass app, whereas all the other restaurants (PF Chang's in LAX, the DEN steak place, etc.) are gone. That's not an AMEX lounge, it's a PP lounge, if that's the difference...
I'm operating under the view that if it isn't showing on the Amex Lounge finder, their PP won't cover it. I note that the Amex lounge finder still includes Minute Suites if you search PHL.

Though as far as I'm concerned this is just a matter of switching out an Amex issued PP card for a Chase one, at least until the Chase PP contract is up for renewal and we lose that one too (I hypothesize).
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:59 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Has anyone used MSP since the AMEX devaluation? That PGA lounge was always a weird one, with some food credit at the associated restaurants, but not a "restaurant" according to the program.

Since there's no SLC PP (my main hub), I often book through MSP to grab a PGA snack midtrip. If this disappears... sadness.
Amex Platinum will still get you into the Escape Lounge right next to the PGA lounge, and IME their food is pretty good. My main complaint about that lounge is having to go outside of it to find a restroom.
dhuey and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
AS lounge in PDX had the "Keep OUT, PP Select Scum!" sign out at 8:45a today
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
AS lounge in PDX had the "Keep OUT, PP Select Scum!" sign out at 8:45a today
Seems like Alaska terminated its PP affiliation a long time ago, as a practical matter.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Amex Platinum will still get you into the Escape Lounge right next to the PGA lounge, and IME their food is pretty good. My main complaint about that lounge is having to go outside of it to find a restroom.
Priority Pass gets you a $15 discount at Escape Lounges (US). As mentioned, the food is pretty good. And you might kill $30 anyway on meal, beer, tip and taxes in the terminal.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Priority Pass gets you a $15 discount at Escape Lounges (US). As mentioned, the food is pretty good. And you might kill $30 anyway on meal, beer, tip and taxes in the terminal.
I’d definitely recommend that if the Escape Lounge isn’t crowded and you’ve got >45 minutes, thirst and an appetite.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Yeah, but I've got the Aspire, not the Plat. If I get another high-annual card, I'd just go Chase and get the PP restaurants back anyway!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
When was this announced??? I have never heard of this before. Also note for those who can plan in advance that there was a recurring Groupon offer for several PP lounges for approx. $23-27 per person.

As for quality of Escape lounges, that is extensively debated in another thread, but let's just agree it is a matter of opinion. If I spent $30 in the terminal (per person) I will definitely get a lot higher quality product...YMMV
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
When was this announced??? I have never heard of this before. Also note for those who can plan in advance that there was a recurring Groupon offer for several PP lounges for approx. $23-27 per person.

As for quality of Escape lounges, that is extensively debated in another thread, but let's just agree it is a matter of opinion. If I spent $30 in the terminal (per person) I will definitely get a lot higher quality product...YMMV
In actual fact, my mileage does vary. Escape Lounges, having sampled two, have superior food. Refueling upstairs is exorbitantly priced. Check the menu at the Federal Tavern @ PVD. No top-shelf anything.

The $30 PP entry fee gets you tranquility, open bar and you can judge the menu for yourself.

https://www.escapelounges.com/images...d-menu-rno.pdf
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Priority Pass gets you a $15 discount at Escape Lounges (US).
Originally Posted by Boraxo
When was this announced??? I have never heard of this before. ....
Admirable marketing gambit. If Escape (USA) formally joins Priority Pass, and they turn someone away, there is ill will. This way, if someone comes in asking about Priority Pass the attendant has an opportunity to make a sale, but there is no expectation of entry.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Admirable marketing gambit. If Escape (USA) formally joins Priority Pass, and they turn someone away, there is ill will. This way, if someone comes in asking about Priority Pass the attendant has an opportunity to make a sale, but there is no expectation of entry.
It can't be that "informal." 3 others in the lounge knew of and received the discount Sunday-before-last.

My understanding is Escape's corporate bosses offered PP an identical US/EU contract and PP rejected it. Amex commands their full allegiance in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.