Reload this Page >

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Just noticed PP lounge details listing indicating that beginning 01 September entrance is limited to 3 hours prior to scheduled flight departure. Has anyone seen a formal notification of this?

Looks like Ike they are following Centurion policy precedent.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Segments
Just noticed PP lounge details listing indicating that beginning 01 September entrance is limited to 3 hours prior to scheduled flight departure.

If it means PP is turned away less often, I'm all for it.

But I seriously doubt anything will improve the diminishing odds. There is no fix coming. "Excess capacity" is an anachronism.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Is that for all lounges in the system now? If so, it'll really put a dent in something like the TK Lounge @ IAD where if one has the time, but a later flight it's been worthwhile to arrive just before the 3 p.m. official cutoff.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just noticed PP lounge details listing indicating that beginning 01 September entrance is limited to 3 hours prior to scheduled flight departure. Has anyone seen a formal notification of this?
Where did you see this?
Some lounges like the first lounge (A Coruna - LCG) listed in https://d2llguf9uoxb71.cloudfront.ne..._Directory.pdf (updated 17 August 2019) have the "before departure" rule
But others (HKG, ICN) are still "Maximum X hours stay".

Are you referring to The Club lounges in US only https://thepointsguy.com/news/club-l...-pass-members/ ?

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 18, 2019 at 6:30 am
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Had not seen TPG post but yes this seems to be it. Saw the restriction when looked at The Club CHS advertised in monthly newsletter and then also looking at SJC lounge that I frequent. Now see the time restrictions show up when not logged in but disappear when logged in under my AMEX membership.

Over the last year my primary go to has been domestic restaurant selections as there are few lounges at the airports I frequent.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Over the last year my primary go to has been domestic restaurant selections as there are few lounges at the airports I frequent.
I'm assuming (hoping!) you get PP via a non-AmEx-issued card?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I'm assuming (hoping!) you get PP via a non-AmEx-issued card?
Not yet. 😉
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Anyone noticed the 2 new lounges in Australia require a co-pay? I guess more co-pays are on the way....after all, PP is an insurance company and health insurance companies get you to take less care by charging co-pays, so perhaps this is PPs way of getting people to stop at Starbuck's and pay for their morning coffee instead of popping in the lounge for 5 minutes with PP, if that lounge visit would now be subject to a co-pay?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:02 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Anyone noticed the 2 new lounges in Australia require a co-pay? I guess more co-pays are on the way....after all, PP is an insurance company and health insurance companies get you to take less care by charging co-pays, so perhaps this is PPs way of getting people to stop at Starbuck's and pay for their morning coffee instead of popping in the lounge for 5 minutes with PP, if that lounge visit would now be subject to a co-pay?
Yes.
But the same operator has been doing this is the No. 1 in London https://www.executivetraveller.com/t...-priority-pass

https://thepointsguy.com/news/priori...lounge-access/
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I have my PP through Amex Plat. In DEN it’s allowed me to stop at a restaurant in C terminal. When I tried to double check if that was still an option using the app it showed a click for C terminal. I clicked it, but no restaurants is showing. Is there anywhere in DEN that still has PP?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The Priority Pass website only shows the one restaurant which I gather is no longer available to you due to the AMEX changes.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:37 pm

Between being turned away and a PP co-pay, I'm guessing most would pay for lounge access. Problem is, sign-ups and renewals for PP could flatline once this goes viral.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is much more disturbing than the Amex restaurant exclusion, which is not relevant to anyone who has a PP membership through another issuer.

A co-pay to enter a lounge is 100% non-starter for me. I would rather pay $20 at an airport bar or restaurant that offers much better food selection and quality than pay $20 to enter some of these marginal lounges. 4x so when traveling with family. Now there are some third world airports where the value of the lounge provides is a safe, comfortable waiting space with refreshments. But most US airports that I personally frequent have several decent restaurants or food-to-go options.

Hopefully this will be limited to Australia though apparently there is some testing of a similar concept at Escape lounges where non-Amex PP holders are being offered discounted admission (similar to the Groupon deal)
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
A co-pay to enter a lounge is 100% non-starter for me. I would rather pay $20 at an airport bar or restaurant that offers much better food selection and quality than pay $20 to enter some of these marginal lounges.
House Lounges are anything but marginal. They have full waiter service, premium wines and showers.

$20AUD = $13.71USD.

The number of lounges routinely rejecting PP altogether is infuriating, This is a rational offset.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender
House Lounges are anything but marginal. They have full waiter service, premium wines and showers.

$20AUD = $13.71USD.

The number of lounges routinely rejecting PP altogether is infuriating, This is a rational offset.
Fair enough on the value for these specific lounges. But does not bode well... like resort fees and cockroaches these will expand and multiply and not in a good way...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.