Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Business Insider: Priority Pass is being slammed as a 'waste of money'.

A popular service that offers access to luxury airport lounges around the world is being slammed as a 'waste of money'.
  • Priority Pass is a program that allows members to access a worldwide network of independently operated airport lounges.
  • But some on Twitter have complained that the service is unreliable.
  • People have described getting blocked from lounges because of occupancy issues and arbitrary access times.

https://www.businessinsider.com/prio...plaints-2018-8
jspira likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
PP slammed as a 'waste of money' - BI

Good thing I get it for "free" with my AX (but alas, that's the problem)
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup

On that note I'm kinda surprised that a Club location is denying Priority Pass considering they're owned/run by the same organization (one of the photos in the article).
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup

"Waste of money" not really a waste of money if it is a bundled perk from the CC which does not guarantee all perks are available at all times. The people should be complaining to the CC not PP for more lounges.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
It's like being a low-level elite at Delta or United-- in theory, you get "unlimited complimentary upgrades". Of course you would rarely ever get any upgrade at all because there isn't much room at the pointy end of the plane and you are less important than all the 100k flyers.

PP is the same way-- in theory, you get unlimited lounge visits at all these places, but in practice you're less important than the customers of the airline that owns the lounge (or the airline(s) that contract the lounge for their business class passengers). Moreover, PP used to be relatively uncommon in the US, so a couple of PP members here or there wouldn't cause capacity issues. But then cards like the CSR started getting really popular and now it seems like almost everyone has a PP, even infrequent travelers. There just isn't enough capacity for all those people in the contract lounges and the only way for them to avoid being standing room only is to turn away the mobs of PP holders.

I was recently at the Turkish lounge at IAD and the line of PP people entering the lounge was out the door and down the concourse. It's a phenomenal lounge but there's no way they can physically handle that many people.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by TGarza
"Waste of money" not really a waste of money if it is a bundled perk from the CC which does not guarantee all perks are available at all times. The people should be complaining to the CC not PP for more lounges.
For folks who treat every annual fee like double entry accounting, then it is a "waste of money" when they can't get into the lounge they "prepaid" by means of an AF. Hopefully they'll drop their CSR card and leave more space for the rest of us.

I have used PP once this year and the Centurion lounge once. When I fly international I buy business class so I already have access to a lounge. But I still keep my Platinum card.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I thought that PP, now gave you dining credit, instead of club access, when busy?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
I thought that PP, now gave you dining credit, instead of club access, when busy?
It has nothing to do with if the clubs are busy, it's a question of do they have a restaurant partner in that airport.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Korean Air Lounge

Originally Posted by dannieboiz
You're onto something here... makes sense to complain to the CC company. Priority pass don't care about YOU but they care if these big CC issuers walk and find alternatives to keep their customer happy.

On the same note, Once again I'm denied at LAX. I lucked out last time but this time, I'm on U class AS and it doesn't matter.

Lost count but I'm at something like a 10% entry rate which isn't very good. With Sea-Tac taken away here, that leaves me to no other available lounge to access on my routes but that once or twice a year that I do go through other airports.

Time to explore altneratives or cancel my CSR since it's no longer going to pay for itself.
In LAX forget Alaska and try Korean Air Lounge with PP card about 15 minute walk. Superior in food, drink and free showers!

Last edited by euromannn; Aug 14, 2018 at 11:33 pm Reason: spell
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jaymar01
A popular service that offers access to luxury airport lounges around the world is being slammed as a 'waste of money'.
Today, the same publication tells us that Priority Pass is the best tool for business travelers to make productive, fun use of their time...ignore the warnings from the Wall Street Journal that lounges have become overrun by normies. They're just trying to keep you from enjoying the best open secret in travel.

I've spent 6 months traveling the world on business, and I've found the perfect way to make airports less miserable
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:53 pm

My experience

I was recently at Chennai airport and was very pleasantly surprised by the amenities offered at the Lounges there. I tried both the Domestic airport lounge (3rd floor) and the International lounge.
The Domestic lounge was accessed around 7AM and it was almost empty. There was a very nice buffet of south indian food (idli, sambar, chutney) and some north indian dishes as well. It was also well located, and one could find seats from where to "watch" your gate entrance which may be relaxing to some. My 2 kids were very impressed by the whole experience. My younger one really appreciated the wifi access - which is especially useful because the airport "free" wifi requires you to possess an Indian phone number as it relies on being able to receive OTP access codes.

The international lounge was accessed around 1AM and it was not as crowded. However, over the next hour it became very crowded. There were folks seemingly bringing in >4 guests each... food options were good here too. Rice, chicken curry, gulab jamun, etc. Felt 4 star. Service was good, AC was pleasant. And of course, wifi for the kids. Seats were not as comfortable for those who wanted to sleep, but that is understandable.

Overall, it was my first time using the PP card (accessed via CSR) and we all came away very impressed. Usually we end up waiting in the "common areas" and feel fighting for space (esp. for our carry-ons) and end up very tired even before boarding the plane. No more with PP, and I wish I had used it more often (I expect to in the future).
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
Today, the same publication tells us that Priority Pass is the best tool for business travelers to make productive, fun use of their time...ignore the warnings from the Wall Street Journal that lounges have become overrun by normies. They're just trying to keep you from enjoying the best open secret in travel.
The first one trashing PP is more convincing.

FWIW - the writer trashing PP seems to be a consumer-oriented journalist. And indeed, regardless how problematic accessing PP lounges is, it is a waste of money for those who paid PP for the membership. On the other hand, for those who travel for business, they usually have separate lounge access regardless if they hold PP or not. So the second article seems to be an advertisement rather than something solid.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:29 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
What I liked about the PGA Lounge in MSP is that after taking the (as I recall) $15 credit downstairs and being able to use it at any of three different eateries, you could go back upstairs and hang in the lounge. I liked the hybrid approach, particularly as I don't generally want to spend $28 for lunch, but somehow feel compelled to maximize the benefit to the detriment of my gut. Five Priority Pass uses down; five to go.

Although I didn't partake, my sense was that the putting green was free in the PGA lounge.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Price for chargeable visits going up to $32 on October 1st:
Originally Posted by Priority Pass
On the 1st October 2018 we will be increasing the fee for chargeable lounge visits to US$32 per visit per person. Any complimentary visits included as a part of your membership will not be affected by this fee increase. It has been over 10 years since we have increased our visit fees and during this time we have done all we can to absorb the rising costs of providing airport lounge access to our Members. We have unfortunately reached the point where we need to make an adjustment to our prices to maintain the quality offering of Priority Pass.
Good thing I get this benefit for "free"! ... and I'll bet there'll still be the very same restrictions we're talking about here, so what exactly are the "rising costs" if access can be so limited?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My understanding is that Amex PP members are going to $32 but Chase PP members remain at $27. At this point I have not yet received a notice from Chase or PP.

I don't believe the price hike has anything to do with overcrowding but rather PP (like every other business) seeking to maximize profits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.