Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 7:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by euromannn
....Chase nor PP have documentation on lounge access for guests and your force to find out at last minute when you arrive.
Since there is ZERO documentation you cannot hold any lounge accountable for number of guests.
Correct. The lounge establishes its own guest policy. Not Priority Pass, and not Chase. What type of accountability would you propose?

If a Priority Pass member goes to a lounge with has a no guest policy, as Alaska airlines did at one point, and the lounge sells a day pass to admit the guest, that expense could be any amount the lounge chooses, and it would be collected by the lounge. That is not a Priority Pass guest fee. If it were a Priority Pass fee it would have been collected by Priority Pass, not by the lounge.

Originally Posted by tmiw
In fairness, we don't know for sure when the page I previously linked updated.,,,,
Mentioned on Flyertalk as early as February of 2017

Last edited by mia; May 2, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Old May 2, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Not defending either (see below).

In fairness, we don't know for sure when the page I previously linked updated. It could have updated last week or a few days after your contact with them for all we know. Maybe someone else here has a better idea of when the previously mentioned language was added.

Additionally, we don't know for sure when AS sent updated information to PP or how often they're supposed to send such per their agreement with them. If AS notified PP quickly but PP sat on that for months, for instance, then you may have a point.

(BTW, maybe there should be a way to accept customer input if there isn't already, especially if PP only requires updates from participating lounges every few months or longer.)

I was under the impression that the particular venue has no idea what issuer is paying for your PP access. I suppose it's possible that there could be something that shows up that tells them to only allow X number of guests at most, but that would be at odds with what other issuers that limit the number of free guests do (which is to allow additional ones for a fee, subject to the individual lounge's acceptance of said guests).

Also, it's well known that Chase allows unlimited guests for no additional fees to regular lounges. Since restaurants are considered lounges too (unless I'm mistaken), I would expect that same policy to apply--and if not, Chase really should have let their customers know.

Zero documentation that Chase has a maximum number of (free or otherwise) guests, so Chase shouldn't be charging for guests or otherwise limiting them unless they want to change that policy (with sufficient notice, of course). There's a difference.

Unless AS leaves PP (which they very well might considering their space issues), they're still part of the program. I'm not sure how PP could kick them out since we don't know the specific terms both entered into.

Are you sure it's because your membership is through Chase or would they have blocked guest access with memberships through other issuers as well? I suspect if I tried to enter with a PP membership from, say, AmEx, that same issue would have arisen--even though those guests likely wouldn't have been free.

Funny post ---- your clearly unsure what I wrote and unsure what Chase communicates.
So your confusing point is?

Difference between my and your comment si quoting what PP & Chase have stated which is the opposite of many posters.

Since 'others' think they know all the answers without any written guarantees ---- makes for redundant conversation.
And yes, I'm sure MY PP card is issued through Chase ----- strange question as I have a Chase Saphire Reserve Card and if you had that card you would know Chase is the merchant(bank) of the PP card issuance.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by euromannn
Funny post ---- your clearly unsure what I wrote and unsure what Chase communicates.
So your confusing point is?

Difference between my and your comment si quoting what PP & Chase have stated which is the opposite of many posters.

Since 'others' think they know all the answers without any written guarantees ---- makes for redundant conversation.
And yes, I'm sure MY PP card is issued through Chase ----- strange question as I have a Chase Saphire Reserve Card and if you had that card you would know Chase is the merchant(bank) of the PP card issuance.
Huh? I have the CSR as well and nothing in my UR portal's Benefits page implies that guests are limited. In fact, a quick Google search brings up this, where Chase confirms unlimited free guests. As already mentioned, if this has actually changed (and is not simply an issue of the individual lounge denying access due to capacity or some other reason) and/or doesn't apply to restaurants, then Chase is in the wrong for not letting its cardmembers know of the updated terms.

In any event, PP sounds like it doesn't meet your needs. I'm not sure it's possible for any product to ever satisfy everyone, really.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:40 am

Huh? I have the CSR as well and nothing in my UR portal's Benefits page implies that guests are limited. In fact, a quick Google search brings up this, where Chase confirms unlimited free guests. As already mentioned, if this has actually changed (and is not simply an issue of the individual lounge denying access due to capacity or some other reason) and/or doesn't apply to restaurants, then Chase is in the wrong for not letting its cardmembers know of the updated terms.

In any event, PP sounds like it doesn't meet your needs. I'm not sure it's possible for any product to ever satisfy everyone, really.
Try Again----

General statement is allowed with Lounges between PP ------ based on discretion of each lounge.

You an claim unlimited ------- but if along has ONE person in the lounge it has the right to refuse all PP card holders.

Study contract law ----- might help understand why the limits and costs fluctuate between lounges.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:56 pm
mia

The lounge's policy determines entry. Chase's policy only determines payment. Chase has no knowledge of the number of guests that may enter a lounge, but they will pay for any number that a lounge permits.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
I feel the same way. There needs to be a better system for lounge access with PP.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:53 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
May be time to buy a lotto ticket,

because I'm feeling lucky.

In the last six weeks having been shut out of PP lounges in PDX, PDX, PHX, ATL, PHX, PHL, (In fairness I don't get minute suites, so didn't bother), and LAX, here I am sucking down a complementary Liberty Ale with reasonable nosh in SFO. Sure, I'll soon have to go back to mucking out the stables with the rest of unwashed masses, but today my 13 DDDDs fit right into Cinderella's glass slipper. No free lunch? Not on my watch.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Well, DoC is reporting that the CSR's PP benefit will now be limited to "2 guests" (I'm reading that as 3 people). So, come August, perhaps much of the overcrowding concerns will be muted.

DoC report on the CSR downgrades
Old May 5, 2018, 7:02 pm
mia

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
...perhaps much of the overcrowding concerns will be muted.....
This will bring Chase's Priority Pass guest payment policy in line with American Express and nearly in line with Citi Prestige. I doubt it will make a noticeable difference in 2018. Most people likely do not bring more than two guests, and many of those who do will not notice the policy change until the first time they are billed for guests.

Last edited by mia; May 5, 2018 at 7:23 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by mia
This will bring Chase's Priority Pass guest payment policy in line with American Express and nearly in line with Citi Prestige. I doubt it will make a noticeable difference in 2018. Most people likely do not bring more than two guests, and many of those who do will not notice the policy change until the first time they are billed for guests.
Agree.
Suspect the the AS Long goal is to reserve space period for their own members and NOT base on full occupancy when rejecting PP members. Thus the number of the lounge access programs(first/business class + airline direct card holders) is all AS seem to worry about and does intermittently add PP card holders which contribute to the over crowding. Extra guests is an unknown how much it's adding directly contributing to the over crowding. Thus Alaska Lounges decide to restrict any PP holder and their guests. I have encountered AS LOUNGES not even 1/2 full and still PP entry is rejected.

PP sent me this statement
"For example on May 2nd, they (Alaska Lounge at Seattle) accepted 222 Priority Pass guests (card swipes/scans) and only had a few brief periods of times where there are gaps in usage there. If you are denied access and not being given any information or assistance while at the lounge, please feel free to call us 24/7 and we will speak to the lounge attendant on your behalf to try and get some information for you."

PP also confirm two guest maximum at all lounges but failed to addressed maximum limit at restaurants. Twice I've been denied AS Lounge access in Seattle and never offered to wait. Once I was the 5th customer to enter at 5am in the morning and was told reserved for AS first/business. Absolutely almost empty AS Lounge and still denied access to reserved for first/business which PP won't accept. AS Lounges are just following corporate policy to be a bully.

So PP is FINALLY is "claiming" to try to help per Ms Cyndi Young, Sr PP Executive, who claims to contact Alaska Air. However, who has the TIME to FIGHT Alaska while waiting for a flight? PP cannot renegotiate with AS Lounges nor is is capable of ensuring access.

I've also had problems in Philadelphia with Minute Suites which are terrible. Zero free water, must use main airport restrooms, and limited availability. Now I avoid Minute Suites as there basically a big closet.

I've contacted PP three time with zero results on AS Lounges.

Disorganized ---- contractual agreement between PP, airline Lounges/restaurants and the merchants(banks, etc) who issue PP cards.

Last edited by euromannn; May 7, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 2:34 pm

Question for the long-term lounge people here: are there any domestic lounges that the PP accesses that are better than the AS lounges?*

I ask because, in general and not just here on FT, much of the complaining about PP is about the overcrowding as well as how crappy the lounges are. Which is like the old joke about the restaurant where "the food is terrible and the portions are so small". Even the AS lounges, which I find perfectly acceptable in my limited experience, though not exactly "upscale", get a bad rap as bland spaces with a pancake machine. But if they are that bad, who cares if you can get in?

So aside from the well-documented issues with access to AS Board Rooms, what other domestic US lounges were so worth having PP access that are now limited/gone?

*(Full disclosure: I am a CSR PP noob, and aside from once talking my way in past an AS lounge attendant who had the sign out, have never been denied PP lounge access anywhere in the world. But we often fly odd days/times, so it's probable that we are just lucky.)
Old May 7, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Question for the long-term lounge people here: are there any domestic lounges that the PP accesses that are better than the AS lounges?*
TK lounge @ IAD.

FWIW - there is no distinction between domestic and international. What matters is whether you can access to that part of the terminal. For example, ORD will be an exception (as all PP lounges are in T5).
Old May 7, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
TK lounge @ IAD.

FWIW - there is no distinction between domestic and international. What matters is whether you can access to that part of the terminal. For example, ORD will be an exception (as all PP lounges are in T5).
I should have been more clear: many PP-accessible lounges outside of the US are much nicer than PP lounges in the US. So the question is whether I can find lounges in the continental US that are nicer than AS level.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So the question is whether I can find lounges in the continental US that are nicer than AS level.
Again - TK lounge @ IAD.
IndyHoosier and SightseeMC like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:21 am

I ask because, in general and not just here on FT, much of the complaining about PP is about the overcrowding as well as how crappy the lounges are. Which is like the old joke about the restaurant where "the food is terrible and the portions are so small". Even the AS lounges, which I find perfectly acceptable in my limited experience, though not exactly "upscale", get a bad rap as bland spaces with a pancake machine. But if they are that bad, who cares if you can get in?

So aside from the well-documented issues with access to AS Board Rooms, what other domestic US lounges were so worth having PP access that are now limited/gone?

*(Full disclosure: I am a CSR PP noob, and aside from once talking my way in past an AS lounge attendant who had the sign out, have never been denied PP lounge access anywhere in the world. But we often fly odd days/times, so it's probable that we are just lucky.)
Ho Chi Minh -

Ho Chi Minh TSN International

LE SAIGONNAIS BUSINESS LOUNGE

Ho Chi Minh TSN International (Domestic Terminal)

Lounges - Both very good

• Le Saigonnais Business Lounge
    Domestic Terminal
  • Orchid Lounge
    International Terminal

BKK - Miracle lounge --- only two good out of 9 good( All named Miracle Lounge)
Unfortunately I can't remember which Concourse or Miracle I went too and PP can't identify differences in these 11 lounges.
ex: Miracle First Class Lounge
Miracle Lounge
Miracle Business Class Lounge

PP has no rating system or clarifies the differences of lounges with different names in BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.