Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Maybe my expectations aren't high enough or something. Before I got into the premium card game, I didn't bother with lounges. Now that I have a card that provides PP and lounge access through Diners Club, I visit them on occasion where available--which considering where I've traveled to so far isn't as often as I'd like.

Considering that, would I pay for PP? Probably not. But I still think it's a nice perk whenever I get the chance to use an affiliated lounge (even if the US lounges aren't all that good relative to ones elsewhere).
Rare and kennycrudup like this.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
Considering that, would I pay for PP? Probably not. But I still think it's a nice perk whenever I get the chance to use an affiliated lounge (even if the US lounges aren't all that good relative to ones elsewhere).
I'm with you. I mostly only use PP outside the US where I wouldn't otherwise have lounge access. PP domestically, many of the lounges are such low quality that it's just a place to snack and drink for free and a bit more comfortable than the gate. Internationally I'd say they're on average better, but there are also some very crappy lounges and very good lounges. I wouldn't pay for PP directly, but I'm happy with it as an a bundled option at little to no direct cost.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
PP is a product for the masses. Seven billion increasingly mobile and middle class people with no actual limit on how many memberships can be sold or "given away".

Lounges, inherently, are products for the select few. Airports only have so many square meters to rent out and they can make far more money on retail and high traffic space use than a space designed to accommodate a hundred or so people who will dwell for an hour or so, enjoying freebies, not spending any more than their admission and hiding away from all those retail outlets.
PP (like airlines/ alliances) should do more the segment lounge eligibility. Those willing and able to pay a premium (e.g. Through direct membership or through high card fees) should have access to better lounges on a more consistent basis. Those who are not can expect a more basic and inconsistent product.
Otherwise this kind of product will just implode on itself as demand outstrips supply and lounges catering to airlines (already struggling with growing status member database and growing premium cabin Pax volumes) just close their doors to this kinda program.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Priority Pass exists only because lounge capacity exceeds demand. When particular lounges no longer have surplus capacity they stop accepting Priority Pass (see AA, DL, UA). Some lounges have predictable peak times, and only admit Priority Pass members during their off-peak hours. These tend to be lounges operated by foreign carriers who have only one or two flights per day from a specific airport (see AF, KE).

Alaska Airlines is doing exactly the same, but they are not doing it gracefully. Rather than publishing their peak hours, and closing their lounges to Priority Pass during those times, they are turning away visitors intermittently based on real time occupancy. Priority Pass rules permit this, but being unexpectedly turned away by a lounge feels personal, even when it isn't. At some point I expect Alaska Airlines will leave Priority Pass altogether.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Maybe my expectations aren't high enough or something. Before I got into the premium card game, I didn't bother with lounges. Now that I have a card that provides PP and lounge access through Diners Club, I visit them on occasion where available--which considering where I've traveled to so far isn't as often as I'd like.

Some PP lounges are very reasonable.
On a recent 5 week trip from SEA-TPE-BKK-SGN had some great experiences.

SEA - AS Lounge in Seattle before AS started denying had a nice pancake maker machine which was fabulous for a quick breakfast along with muffins, cereal, drinks, fruit.
The Club is a disappointing lounge in SEA with almost nothing to eat and one person checking ID also having serve alcohol which has limited selection. Don't like The Club at all.
TPE lounge had a chef cooking several nice noodle bowls the lounge was more of a dining restaurant style but fairly useful.

BKK - was sensational lounge with good food, very comfortable BKK lounge was sensational very roomy, great buffet food.
BBKK are Miracle lounges and it's important to pick the RIGHT Miracle as some are very small and one was great.
PP offers ZERO domestic lounge BKK which as very disappointing.

SGN - was great lounge at far end of gates but very nice buffet and roomy.

Multiple lounges I've gone to CLOSE at 2100-2130 pm when flights are as late as midnight.
Limited options in some cities in Germany and Vietnam. Add no domestic lounge support in BKK.

I've also used PP in Europe with intermittent results ---- PRG is good, MUC is average but has showers, TXL is poor and the list goes on.

Would I pay for PP? Never

Due you the inconsistency in rules, denial of entrance to existing lounges on web sites, incompetence of the PP and Card issuers like Citi and Chase to support issues it's not reliable program.

PP is next to worthless as it cannot even reference specific airport and explain rules so as a card holder you'll never know until you arrive and even then it can change at entrance like with AS. Yes--- excuses are made that only the individual lounge know their rules which are so confusing and Not guaranteed to not change when you arrive.

If your frequent user of the PP card you find complete disorganization within PP and the banks that issue the card.

I had to go to FT to find out about restaurants in cities where lounges are limited or experiences problems.--- no PP alert message for workarounds.

Now the restaurants are in a state of confusion as Chase advises I'm eligible for 5 guests, didn't know costs but FT members are claiming upto 8 guests but can be changes at check-in...which is a joke as it's another AS Lounge denial of service on guest at a lounge.

PP provides minimal support to help guide with lounges nor does keep their web site accurate.

Last edited by euromannn; May 2, 2018 at 8:58 am
Old May 2, 2018, 7:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by kiwitakingflight
...PP (like airlines/ alliances) should do more the segment lounge eligibility. ...
Priority Pass tried this. For a few years American Express was the exclusive sponsor of Priority Pass Select memberships in the USA, while MasterCard and VISA issuers were only able to offer Lounge Club memberships. Lounge Club allowed access to a subset of the Priority Club network. This had the effect of limiting access to some Priority Pass lounges.

I do not know why they abandoned this strategy, but the structure is in place to have multiple tiers.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by euromannn
Some PP lounges are very reasonable.
The ones you've listed are mostly outside the US, though. I haven't been to any AS lounges yet but the quality of other US lounges in my experience is spottier. (Exceptions: SJC's is decent albeit with poor food selection. Same with the KAL one at LAX when I was there last year, but I hear it's gone downhill.)

PP is next to worthless as it cannot even reference specific airport and explain rules so as a card holder you'll never know until you arrive and even then it can change at entrance like with AS. Yes--- excuses are made that only the individual lounge know their rules which are so confusing and Not guaranteed to not change when you arrive.
PP does mention access restrictions for individual lounges on their website. If the individual lounge changes their rules and doesn't let PP know, that's on the lounge.

If your frequent user of the PP card you find complete disorganization within PP and the banks that issue the card.
Weirdly I don't get that impression from them. Maybe that's because Chase has a generous guest policy and/or I don't usually guest people, though.

I had to go to FT to find out about restaurants in cities where lounges are limited or experiences problems.--- no PP alert message for workarounds.
PP sends me emails around once a month with lounge updates. Clicking through from the email, from what I remember, brings up the exact list of what changed on the network--including the addition of restaurants.

Of course, you'll need to sign up for a PP online account to get those emails. One improvement that would be nice is auto-enrollment on their website when you get a credit card that provides PP access.

Now the restaurants are in a state of confusion as Chase advises I'm eligible for 5 guests, didn't know costs but FT members are claiming upto 8 guests but can be changes at check-in...which is a joke as it's another AS Lounge denial of service on guest at a lounge.
CSRs not being well trained is not a new phenomenon. I'm not sure what card you have from Chase, but I'm fairly sure that the Reserve has free unlimited guests unless that's changed recently. (I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't already changed due to stuff like what you've mentioned.)
Old May 2, 2018, 12:15 pm

The ones you've listed are mostly outside the US, though. I haven't been to any AS lounges yet but the quality of other US lounges in my experience is spottier. (Exceptions: SJC's is decent albeit with poor food selection. Same with the KAL one at LAX when I was there last year, but I hear it's gone downhill.)

PP does mention access restrictions for individual lounges on their website. If the individual lounge changes their rules and doesn't let PP know, that's on the lounge.

Weirdly I don't get that impression from them. Maybe that's because Chase has a generous guest policy and/or I don't usually guest people, though.

PP sends me emails around once a month with lounge updates. Clicking through from the email, from what I remember, brings up the exact list of what changed on the network--including the addition of restaurants.

Of course, you'll need to sign up for a PP online account to get those emails. One improvement that would be nice is auto-enrollment on their website when you get a credit card that provides PP access.

CSRs not being well trained is not a new phenomenon. I'm not sure what card you have from Chase, but I'm fairly sure that the Reserve has free unlimited guests unless that's changed recently. (I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't already changed due to stuff like what you've mentioned.)

Disagree. PP should be accountable to update web site when advised by customers. i told PP of my AS lounge experience over 6 months ago they DID NOT make any effort investigate or effort to update web. I even wrote to PP comical executive team --- all I get is a CSR from India repeatings are robotic comments.
Patheticly trained staff that you seem to accept even when their aware of lounge problems and don't try to make any effort to update web site.

Yes, have Chase Saphire Reserve Card---and YES again --- Chase claims ONLY 5 guests. Not the unlimited you suggest.
When Chase was asked for detailed documentation on guests all they could promise to send was a "brochure" where CSR stated it was not clearly identified.

Since I travel primarily international I just noted a few airports and lounges that I think re good and a few that are bad. DomesticallyAS has ruined my lounge access opportunity as The Club is a boring and limited service lounge also in Seattle.

PP will not update their web site and has no plans to expand to restaurants in Seattle at this time making PP card a poor decision if based in Seattle for out going trips. Internationally I'm encountering closing times at 9pm....ridiculous.......while my flights are schedule for 10pm or later in Asia.

PP can do what it wants ----- but what it promotes in the each lounge feature has limited accuracy because the lounges DO Not have to admit the card holder. Chase can do nothing about this issue which PP says call Chase. PP disrespects teh web site for accuracy when informed by card holders. Overall just a state of confusion world wide because PP doesn't care while it has updates from customer feedback.

Last edited by euromannn; May 2, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Old May 2, 2018, 12:27 pm
mia

... lounges DO Not have to admit the card holder. ...
Correct. This is explicitly stated in the published terms:

The cardholder accepts that the Priority Pass Group of companies has no control over the lounge operator’s decision whether to admit any cardholder, the number of people allowed in any lounge at any time, facilities offered, the opening/closing times, the length of time which cardholders may spend in the lounge and any charges payable for extended lounge visits or the personnel employed by the lounges.
When you complain you receive an unhelpful reply because there is nothing to discuss. They already know that some lounges turn away Priority Pass members. The only thing you can do is decline to use their service, ask Chase to cancel your Priority Pass membership.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Disagree. PP should be accountable to update web site when advised by customers. i told PP of my AS lounge experience over 6 months ago they DID NOT make any effort investigate or effort to update web. I even wrote to PP comical executive team --- all I get is a CSR from India repeatings are robotic comments.
Patheticly trained staff that you seem to accept even when their aware of lounge problems and don't try to make any effort to update web site.
The listings for AS lounges at SEA do mention the following:

Access may be restricted due to space constraints
Maybe they could have updated it more quickly, but one definitely can't say that they never update the listings.

Yes, have Chase Saphire Reserve Card---and YES again --- Chase claims ONLY 5 guests. Not the unlimited you suggest.
When Chase was asked for detailed documentation on guests all they could promise to send was a "brochure" where CSR stated it was not clearly identified.
The maximum number of free guests allowed by Chase is not mentioned anywhere on Chase's website/Benefits Guide that I could find. I would think someone would have posted on FT or elsewhere by now if they recently imposed such a limit (and again, is not an issue with PP itself).

PP can do what it wants ----- but what it promotes in teh each feature has limited accuracy because teh lounges DO Not have to admit the card holder. Chase can do nothing about this issue which PP says call Chase.
As mentioned by mia, individual lounge control over admittance is part of PP's T&C and you're perfectly allowed to not partake in the service if you disagree.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Since I travel primarily international I just noted a few airports and lounges that I think re good and a few that are bad. DomesticallyAS has ruined my lounge access opportunity as The Club is a boring and limited service lounge also in Seattle.

PP will not update their web site and has no plans to expand to restaurants in Seattle at this time making PP card a poor decision if based in Seattle for out going trips. Internationally I'm encountering closing times at 9pm....ridiculous.......while my flights are schedule for 10pm or later in Asia.

PP can do what it wants ----- but what it promotes in the each lounge feature has limited accuracy because the lounges DO Not have to admit the card holder. Chase can do nothing about this issue which PP says call Chase. PP disrespects teh web site for accuracy when informed by card holders. Overall just a state of confusion world wide because PP doesn't care while it has updates from customer feedback.
Not to defend PP but the problems with AS lounge overcrowding has been discussed here for months so everyone on FT should be aware of it. PP does not guarantee access and in fact I find PP is doing a much better job now of noting restrictions (e.g. limited hours at LAX lounge for Virgin, etc.)

BTW I have used Chase (actually JPM) PP card for years and nobody ever told me there was a limit on guests. I have taken as many as 6 at one time (all family members) and the lounge (SJD) was quite happy to take them all as they get paid by PP for every person. So if there is a limit that is something new and I would expect Chase or PP to send a notice.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:32 pm

Delete

Last edited by euromannn; May 2, 2018 at 4:38 pm Reason: Delete - Double post
Old May 2, 2018, 4:36 pm

The listings for AS lounges at SEA do mention the following:

Maybe they could have updated it more quickly, but one definitely can't say that they never update the listings.

The maximum number of free guests allowed by Chase is not mentioned anywhere on Chase's website/Benefits Guide that I could find. I would think someone would have posted on FT or elsewhere by now if they recently imposed such a limit (and again, is not an issue with PP itself).

As mentioned by mia, individual lounge control over admittance is part of PP's T&C and you're perfectly allowed to not partake in the service if you disagree.
Ridiculous you keep defending PP or Chase.

PP program is a mess ---because PP doesn't communicate with the merchants(PP card issuers or lounges) to update the web site.
PP was given information about AS lounges 6 months ago(problems in Seattle) and WOULD NOT investigate nor update web site.
That is a professional mismanagement issue and is it strange you can't accept that fact.

As for Chase once again I'll repeat the issue"
Chase has ZERO written documentation on restaurant guest limits. Chase verbally tells me 5 guests while a poster claims unlimited when he has zero written documentation to back it up. Chase nor PP have documentation on lounge access for guests and your force to find out at last minute when you arrive.

Clearly a mess of mental midgets making money on lounge access program.

Since there is ZERO documentation you cannot hold any lounge accountable for number of guests.

PP program is a mess and not run by a professional business organization. PP has professional responsibility to keep the web site accurate if it has been given information of problems. PP fails to update web site in a timely manner. Simple fact!

If AS Lounges in different cities refuse access then PP should contact AS confirm NO ACCES and update the web site. BUT PP refuses to do anything!
I know Seattle a AS hub is NOT allowing me twice in past 6 months. Others claim other AS cities.
One friend was able to use Anchorage but was forced to pay an extra fee which he claims was $49.00 for entry for his guest. Of course Mia will counter $49.00 but then she is not talking o my friend who has assured me he paid $49.00

Last edited by euromannn; May 2, 2018 at 4:45 pm
Old May 2, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not to defend PP but the problems with AS lounge overcrowding has been discussed here for months so everyone on FT should be aware of it. PP does not guarantee access and in fact I find PP is doing a much better job now of noting restrictions (e.g. limited hours at LAX lounge for Virgin, etc.)

BTW I have used Chase (actually JPM) PP card for years and nobody ever told me there was a limit on guests. I have taken as many as 6 at one time (all family members) and the lounge (SJD) was quite happy to take them all as they get paid by PP for every person. So if there is a limit that is something new and I would expect Chase or PP to send a notice.
BTW ---- your comment is EXACTLY what I'm addressing.
Chase has been notified by me about discrepancy on number of guests for RESTAURANTS and amount and requested to address it with PP.
Chase has done NOTHING --- called today and checked.
There is NO documentation from Chas eon allowable number of guests and all fo these posters claiming limits don't seem to comprehend that fact.

I know for fact CHASE is not allowing guests in lounges in BKK, ANC, SGN, and TPE for lounges.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ridiculous you keep defending PP or Chase.
Not defending either (see below).

PP program is a mess ---because PP doesn't communicate with the merchants(PP card issuers or lounges) to update the web site.
PP was given information about AS lounges 6 months ago(problems in Seattle) and WOULD NOT investigate nor update web site.
That is a professional mismanagement issue and is it strange you can't accept that fact.
In fairness, we don't know for sure when the page I previously linked updated. It could have updated last week or a few days after your contact with them for all we know. Maybe someone else here has a better idea of when the previously mentioned language was added.

Additionally, we don't know for sure when AS sent updated information to PP or how often they're supposed to send such per their agreement with them. If AS notified PP quickly but PP sat on that for months, for instance, then you may have a point.

(BTW, maybe there should be a way to accept customer input if there isn't already, especially if PP only requires updates from participating lounges every few months or longer.)

As for Chase once again I'll repeat the issue"
Chase has ZERO written documentation on restaurant guest limits. Chase verbally tells me 5 guests while a poster claims unlimited when he has zero written documentation to back it up. Chase nor PP have documentation on lounge access for guests and your force to find out at last minute when you arrive.
I was under the impression that the particular venue has no idea what issuer is paying for your PP access. I suppose it's possible that there could be something that shows up that tells them to only allow X number of guests at most, but that would be at odds with what other issuers that limit the number of free guests do (which is to allow additional ones for a fee, subject to the individual lounge's acceptance of said guests).

Also, it's well known that Chase allows unlimited guests for no additional fees to regular lounges. Since restaurants are considered lounges too (unless I'm mistaken), I would expect that same policy to apply--and if not, Chase really should have let their customers know.

Since there is ZERO documentation you cannot hold any lounge accountable for number of guests.
Zero documentation that Chase has a maximum number of (free or otherwise) guests, so Chase shouldn't be charging for guests or otherwise limiting them unless they want to change that policy (with sufficient notice, of course). There's a difference.

If AS Lounges in different cities refuse access then PP should contact AS confirm NO ACCES and update the web site. BUT PP refuses to do anything!
Unless AS leaves PP (which they very well might considering their space issues), they're still part of the program. I'm not sure how PP could kick them out since we don't know the specific terms both entered into.

I know for fact CHASE is not allowing guests in lounges in BKK, ANC, SGN, and TPE for lounges.
Are you sure it's because your membership is through Chase or would they have blocked guest access with memberships through other issuers as well? I suspect if I tried to enter with a PP membership from, say, AmEx, that same issue would have arisen--even though those guests likely wouldn't have been free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.