Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Qualification period

My deadline to requalify and renew status is 31 October 2022, however I will requalify later this month. Am I correct in thinking that I will then have until 31 July 2023 to qualify again (and not 31 Oct 2023)? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: KL Plat
If as you say you're simply expecting to achieve the number of XPs needed to maintain your current status this month, then nothing happens. 1 Nov your XP balance will be deducted for maintaining your status. It's only when you achieve enough XPs to move up a status level does your qualifying date reset, although it looks like you're platinum so the only higher status you could aim for is Ultimate but that won't reset your qualifying period either.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by gncohen
My deadline to requalify and renew status is 31 October 2022, however I will requalify later this month. Am I correct in thinking that I will then have until 31 July 2023 to qualify again (and not 31 Oct 2023)? Thanks in advance!
For requalifying for your current level, the date does not change. However if you move up a level, then it changes.

If you requalify before the deadline, any extra XP earned after will carry over to the next period.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Have to say that the FlyingBlue customer service is top notch ! We wereable to solve a missing XPs-issue in less than 30s, quite surprising but reassuring
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Coder33
Have to say that the FlyingBlue customer service is top notch ! We wereable to solve a missing XPs-issue in less than 30s, quite surprising but reassuring
How did you contact them? I've had the opposite experience. I'm missing the 50% XP bonus from a flight 3 weeks ago. I originally booked with AF-marketed flight number, but then DL changed the flight time and changed it to a DL flight number. I've contacted Flying Blue via Facebook messenger, email and their website contact form, but still haven't been credited the missing XPs.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by gncohen
How did you contact them? I've had the opposite experience. I'm missing the 50% XP bonus from a flight 3 weeks ago. I originally booked with AF-marketed flight number, but then DL changed the flight time and changed it to a DL flight number. I've contacted Flying Blue via Facebook messenger, email and their website contact form, but still haven't been credited the missing XPs.
Sometimes people in the FB chat do such things on the fly (via web page client). Problem is - from my experience, they tend to be fairly inconsistent. One agent does it in less then 5 seconds, the other agent asks you to submit a webform with original routing documentation etc.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:14 am

I've always called them for that and they either do it while I wait or they put me on hold for 30 seconds and then it's done.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:44 am

I have some spare miles but not enough for a J reward ticket. Any idea on how to upgrade a KLM Y fare with miles ?
It never works on the website...
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Master_Dn
I have some spare miles but not enough for a J reward ticket. Any idea on how to upgrade a KLM Y fare with miles ?
It never works on the website...
Most of the time, day-of-departure upgrades are the only option (miles or cash)
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
Most of the time, day-of-departure upgrades are the only option (miles or cash)
Indeed, I remember butting heads with a KLM facebook agent when I was trying to enquire about buying a long haul ticket in Y and using miles to upgrade. I was told they can only tell me after I buy the ticket and not before, if there is availability or not.

When I pointed out that wasn't much helpful, I was told in the most patronizing manner "Sir, may I advise you that we sell business class tickets directly?"

I ended up taking up that advice and bought J tickets
....on Lufthansa!

Seems the only way to make use of miles is to buy award tickets, or hope you are lucky and get a good OLCI offer om a ticket you were going to fly anyway. Using it for planified upgrades is nigh impossible.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I ended up taking up that advice and bought J tickets
....on Lufthansa!

I see you're a cutting off the nose to spite the face kinda guy.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Status extension 2022

I understood that last year FB extended statuses due to expire 12/2022-11/2022 until the end of 12/2022 (i believed that included me).
Consequently, now business travel is permitted (from work) again, i'm now schedueld on trips enough to mean i should squeeze back into FB Gold just before Christmas.
However, i just saw on the AF app that my status will expire end of August 2022
And if i look at the FB physical card they sent me earlier this year, it shows expiry end of November 2022. (August is my "traditional" expiry date based on my typical travel and when i first acheived Gold a few years ago).

So, when will my current Gold status (requalification period) actually expire?
Rescheduling enough of them before 11/2022 to get enough XP for Gold again is going to be quite.... tricky :|
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Your status will expire end of August 2022. There used to be a “grace” period of 3 months. That period has been discontinued.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MalFr
I understood that last year FB extended statuses due to expire 12/2022-11/2022 until the end of 12/2022 (i believed that included me).
That is incorrect; it's partly true, but phrased in a way that makes it clearly inaccurate.

As long as you are not registered with Flying Blue in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Macao, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Taipei, Thailand, Ukraine or Vietnam, the exceptional measures introduce in early 2020 that suspended the normal requalification process ended in June 2022. That means that, for the first time since Covid hit, Flying Blue would have downgraded some status members in the past few weeks (those whose membership year ended on 31 July 2022, and who failed to obtain enough XPs in the period from 1 August 2021 to 31 July 2022 to maintain their level).

The scheme that operated for those registered in countries other than those mentioned was not, as you incorrectly suggest, that their "status was due to expire at the end of 12/2022". It was rather that, for the past ~two years, up until the end of June 2022, anyone who reached the end of their membership year but had failed to reach the necessary number of XPs to retain that status, had their status extended by an additional 12 months.

Consequently, now business travel is permitted (from work) again, i'm now schedueld on trips enough to mean i should squeeze back into FB Gold just before Christmas.
However, i just saw on the AF app that my status will expire end of August 2022
And if i look at the FB physical card they sent me earlier this year, it shows expiry end of November 2022. (August is my "traditional" expiry date based on my typical travel and when i first acheived Gold a few years ago).
These "Covid measures" will not have changed your membership year. You say that August is your "traditional" expiry date; this has not changed. Unless you have a running balance of at least 180XP in your Flying Blue account on the last day of the current month, you will be downgraded to Silver and your balance of XPs will be cleared to 0.

The date shown on your physical card applies only to the perks that can be granted upon presentation of the card; it is not at all indicative of when your membership year ends. Any XPs earned in the period between the end of your membership year and the expiry date of your physical card will count not towards the maintenance of your current Gold status; by then, you have already lost Gold. Those XPs will instead count for your new year at a lower (Silver) level, that year commencing on 1 September 2022.

Physical cards have since been discontinued; given that they no longer need to arrange to have cards printed up and posted out, they no longer need to issue a card with a date different to the actual date of your membership year (because, in the app, your "new" status card can be issued instantly, you just have to update the card within the app at the start of the next membership year). You need never worry about the "difference" between your actual membership year, and the different expiry date shown on physical cards; you will never again receive a physical card or be shown any such indication of a different "expiry date".

So, when will my current Gold status (requalification period) actually expire?
Based on what you have stated, your current Gold status expires in exactly 3 weeks from now, on 31 August 2022 (again assuming you are not registered in one of the countries listed above).

This means that you are among only the second cohort of Flying Blue members who face imminent loss of status now that the Covid measures are at an end; the first batch were those with an expiry of 31 July 2022; your expiry is 31 August 2022.

As of 1 September, you are Silver with a balance of 0XP. Your Gold card, with an expiry date of November 2022, can still, however, get you into the lounge until its expiry date is reached, even though by then you will be several months into your new "Silver" year.

Rescheduling enough of them before 11/2022 to get enough XP for Gold again is going to be quite.... tricky :|
You have from 1 September 2022 until 31 August 2023 to try to amass the 180XP needed to go back up to Gold; just remember that, if you dip to Silver at the end of this month, on 1 September you start with a balance of 0XP.

Any flights you take in August 2022 will not help you get to gold (unless you can reach 180XP this month alone, before the imminent end of your current membership year).

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 10, 2022 at 8:27 am
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Thanks for the detailed explanation IrishGuy, it's clear. I was a little worried that something like that would be happening.
At least with the trips coming up i'll have a head start to reach 180XP again before next August.

Will The Card (in either physical or App forms) likely be accepted in some of the outlier destinations for fast track security, etc - will the skypriority mark be shown on boarding passes until November?
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.