Flying Blue FAQ

Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:09 pm
  #1516  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Posts: 2,484
Originally Posted by RJ5929
I booked 4 tickets (on same reservation) on Air France using FB points. My understanding is that if I request refund online, both points and taxes will be refunded fully and will be charged a $50 fee for all 4 tickets or is the $50 fee per ticket? anyone clarify please?
50 euro (so something like $55) per ticket
RJ5929 likes this.
hhdl is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:34 pm
  #1517  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 321
thank you, i requested refund online. how long does it take for the miles to be posted back to accnt?
RJ5929 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:03 pm
  #1518  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Kiel
Programs: Fying Blue Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Silver Elite, Hilton Silver
Posts: 102
I just saw today for my KLM flight on 1 Apr 23 does not have any seat discount for Front Standard Economy and Economy Comfort.

I have Gold status and I am pretty sure I should be able to select Front Standard Economy (purple seats) for free, instead now I have to pay full price.

Did something changed?
IhsanRaharjo is online now  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:15 pm
  #1519  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Posts: 2,484
Originally Posted by IhsanRaharjo
I just saw today for my KLM flight on 1 Apr 23 does not have any seat discount for Front Standard Economy and Economy Comfort.

I have Gold status and I am pretty sure I should be able to select Front Standard Economy (purple seats) for free, instead now I have to pay full price.

Did something changed?
As a Gold, as of today, premium (incl. Economy Comfort) and preferred seats will not be discounted to select until 3 days before the flight, at which point they will become free.

See https://www.flyingblue.us/en/news/new-benefit-models
IhsanRaharjo likes this.
hhdl is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:48 pm
  #1520  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Somewhere between BHX and HUY
Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Posts: 1,740
Not sure if that's an upgrade or a downgrade of benefits

Sure, you can now get extra legroom for free (it's any paid seat, right?) , but only 36h ahead means you risk not having any left. Thus some silver/golds may be tempted to block the seats anyway, especially on long hauls... without a discount this time.

Sure can see the business advantage for it, since it will leave plenty of juicy seats available on the seatmap for customers to purchase at full price until 36h before departure.

Also looks like an indirect downgrade to platinum benefits on short haul, since instead of having our nice row of Y Comfort to ourselves, we'll now have to share the row with silver and gold peasants
Maestro Ramen is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:14 am
  #1521  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FRA/SXB
Programs: FB Gold
Posts: 2,059
For my upcoming short KLM flight the 31/03, I was able to select the Eco Confort seats on the E190 at no charge yesterday evening, 72h before dpart.
mlin32 is online now  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:06 am
  #1522  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: AMS
Posts: 2,075
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Not sure if that's an upgrade or a downgrade of benefits
It's honestly both at the same time because of exactly the reasons you mention. You can get a seat for free but if you want to be sure you have to pay more.

Tbh I think this is mostly an issue on long-haul where the eco comfort seats are static and people (non-status) are more likely in general to get them. On short-haul the 72h window roughly coincides with the moment where KL decides how many EBC seats they need and and adjusts the size of the EC section to match, so there should generally always be many seats available at that moment.
CyBeR is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:56 am
  #1523  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Posts: 2,484
Part of the motivation for this is that a lot of companies are making extra-legroom Y (Y+, though a lot use Y+ to means W) expensable in their policies, so giving an elite something for free when they could get OPM to pay full price is something to be avoided (see also: choice of bonus points or free breakfast in hotel programs... the points are never worth the free breakfast unless OPM).
hhdl is offline  
Old Mar 30, 2023, 2:59 am
  #1524  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BRU
Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Posts: 245
I need 15 XP by the end of April to renew platinum. Had a trip that I sadly had to cancel. Flying is of course an option but is there any other cost-effective way?
NLNO is offline  
Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:05 am
  #1525  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: VLC
Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Posts: 654
Originally Posted by NLNO
I need 15 XP by the end of April to renew platinum. Had a trip that I sadly had to cancel. Flying is of course an option but is there any other cost-effective way?
Depends what you call cost effective. If you're not going to fly, donating miles to a good cause can get you 1XP per 2k miles, so that's 30.000 miles for 15 XP.

Besides that all other options actually involve flying, unless you can get the Amex offer, depending on your location, as that also gives you free XP.

And if you haven't already, linking your All Accor account (if you don't have one, create one) to your FB account also grants 5XP, but only after flying or staying in an All Accor hotel. So that would also not help.
wuzziduzziman likes this.
b12e is offline  
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:38 pm
  #1526  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by RJ5929
thank you, i requested refund online. how long does it take for the miles to be posted back to accnt?
Canceled award tickets and requested refund on Sunday, miles not posted back to accnt or taxes refunded on card yet. Anyone know how long does it take? I called CS, was told it can take anywhere between few hrs to 7 weeks.
RJ5929 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:49 pm
  #1527  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Programs: none
Posts: 31
Im about to use the miles and cash option, If i end up cancelling this flight, does anyone know if I get all miles and cash back ? or do i only get the miles and taxes ?
den221 is offline  
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:11 pm
  #1528  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 22,183
Originally Posted by NLNO
I need 15 XP by the end of April to renew platinum. Had a trip that I sadly had to cancel. Flying is of course an option but is there any other cost-effective way?
You have only 30 days left, so flying is your only safe option IMO.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2023, 1:32 pm
  #1529  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 94
Originally Posted by RJ5929
Canceled award tickets and requested refund on Sunday, miles not posted back to accnt or taxes refunded on card yet. Anyone know how long does it take? I called CS, was told it can take anywhere between few hrs to 7 weeks.
I'm trying to find an answer on this, too. Most of what I found online said it would be quick, I cancelled my award flight yesterday and nothing so far. I didn't even get an email stating I had cancelled the flight, nor is there now any record of the flight other than my emails.

I tried to call AF - was on hold for an hour and then the auto voice woman just said, "all of our agents are busy, try calling again some other time" and freaking hung up! Not impressed at all. Why wouldn't they let me continue waiting? I'm assuming they are going to hang up every hour now. How does anyone ever get a hold of them??
mera is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2023, 6:51 pm
  #1530  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Programs: none
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by mera
I'm trying to find an answer on this, too. Most of what I found online said it would be quick, I cancelled my award flight yesterday and nothing so far. I didn't even get an email stating I had cancelled the flight, nor is there now any record of the flight other than my emails.

I tried to call AF - was on hold for an hour and then the auto voice woman just said, "all of our agents are busy, try calling again some other time" and freaking hung up! Not impressed at all. Why wouldn't they let me continue waiting? I'm assuming they are going to hang up every hour now. How does anyone ever get a hold of them??
same thing happened to me right now, was already waiting for 1hr and 10 min when i was hung up on by the automated system

if the wait is 2hrs. let me wait another 50min.... so frustrating

are your miles back in your account by now ?

edit: So I called and miles went back right away, it appears if you cancel online someone still has to manually process it, so if you call and cancel, miles will be back in your account instantly
RJ5929 likes this.

Last edited by den221; Apr 2, 2023 at 8:58 pm
den221 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.