Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada - Europe OW 13,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Status plays no role when they cancel mistake fare bookings. I mean status pax are not more protected than non-status ones.
I was actually thinking more of honoring then protection,
and that some of us could get lucky if FB goes two tier for elites and non elites.
I came to think about cancelled accounts with no activity before transferring miles.

I do of course not know if it is very time consuming to cancel all bookings if deemed mistake fare, but it still strikes me a little bit weird that they are not all gone at this stage?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Yes, platinum
Was it a 13.500 ticket or one of the 5000-1.500miles ones?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 4:46 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Very unlikely IMHO.
These aren't exactly free either. Roughly 500 euro round-trip isn't cheap and basically covers costs.

I could see AF honour Jan/Feb bookings that are during a quiet period and cancel other bookings after that. Some revenue is better than none if you believe you won't fill the seats.

Another possibility would be for AF to do last-minute downgrades on some of these if the flights are overbooked. The EC261 compensation would be trivial.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by GVA
These aren't exactly free either. Roughly 500 euro round-trip isn't cheap and basically covers costs.

I could see AF honour Jan/Feb bookings that are during a quiet period and cancel other bookings after that. Some revenue is better than none if you believe you won't fill the seats.

Another possibility would be for AF to do last-minute downgrades on some of these if the flights are overbooked. The EC261 compensation would be trivial.
From yesterday until i checked today, the seat maps on my flights has had around 25-35% fever occupied seats.
My bookings are in Jan and Feb and still active.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:23 pm

Just for another data point. I booked YOW -> QXB for 5,000 points January 25-February 1st. Mine were cancelled. No status.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:05 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Stil
Was it a 13.500 ticket or one of the 5000-1.500miles ones?
1500 one. my 13.5k+ and others are still active.

No communication from airline so far.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by GVA
On those 500 Euros, about 2/3 are taxes. It doesn't cover costs at all.

Originally Posted by GVA
Certainly not. If they do that, it means that the ticket is somewhat valid and you have to handle EC261 for all affected pax (as you pointed out). A recipe for disaster.

Originally Posted by Stil
From yesterday until i checked today, the seat maps on my flights has had around 25-35% fever occupied seats.
My bookings are in Jan and Feb and still active.
As we said multiple times on this forum, the seat map is not an indicator of the bookings. Most pax do not pre-select a seat, because they have to pay or for whatever reason (3rd party booking, etc).
brunos and rcch0 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:44 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
On those 500 Euros, about 2/3 are taxes. It doesn't cover costs at all.
That's simply not true. I'm looking at my receipt, $154.80 is airport or other taxes. $389 is carrier imposed surcharges. That makes it less than a third of the total collection being taxes.

Certainly not. If they do that, it means that the ticket is somewhat valid and you have to handle EC261 for all affected pax (as you pointed out). A recipe for disaster.
It really isn't and a couple of unscrupulous airlines have done it in the past. Downgrade a passenger is 75% of the fare/miles component. On a fare like this, AF would be giving back peanuts. It would certainly be poor PR but it's not out of the possibility and not that complicated.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:54 am

As we said multiple times on this forum, the seat map is not an indicator of the bookings. Most pax do not pre-select a seat, because they have to pay or for whatever reason (3rd party booking, etc).
You are right and dummy bookings also factor in.
But I have never seen such a substantiel increase in available seats on four separate TATL flights, with in less then 24hours of me looking, when the flights are that long out.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:48 am

Programs: FB Gold, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Diamond; BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by GVA
Hope so. I’m booked in Jan.
Stil likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:24 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
My reservation appears cancelled in my account but miles haven't been refunded. Nor have the taxes.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:30 am

AF/KL are notorious for not honoring error fares, and this was clearly an error fare so I am afraid it's unlikely these fares will be honored.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by BobTL
AF/KL are notorious for not honoring error fares, and this was clearly an error fare so I am afraid it's unlikely these fares will be honored.
We’ll let you know in a few days.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:50 am
Flying Blue Director

Hi all,

Unfortunately this deal was too good to be true. Due to a technical glitch affecting some city pairs (primarily French train stations), some of you were able to book fares for as low as 1,500 miles in J. This was an error fare; the true price should have been 37.5k miles which matches what is published for this month's promo rewards and can be found on FB.com.

All the 1,500 mile bookings have already been cancelled, and the 13.5k mile bookings will also soon be cancelled. Your miles and taxes will be refunded, and we will be sending out an email to those affected this week.

However, we are making an exception for FB Gold, Platinum, and Ultimate members who booked the 13.5k mile fares - in recognition of their loyalty, we will honour the mistake fares for these members.

Thanks for your understanding, and of course apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Hi all,

Unfortunately this deal was too good to be true. Due to a technical glitch affecting some city pairs (primarily French train stations), some of you were able to book fares for as low as 1,500 miles in J. This was an error fare; the true price should have been 37.5k miles which matches what is published for this month's promo rewards and can be found on FB.com.

All the 1,500 mile bookings have already been cancelled, and the 13.5k mile bookings will also soon be cancelled. Your miles and taxes will be refunded, and we will be sending out an email to those affected this week.

However, we are making an exception for FB Gold, Platinum, and Ultimate members who booked the 13.5k mile fares - in recognition of their loyalty, we will honour the mistake fares for these members.

Thanks for your understanding, and of course apologies for any inconvenience caused.
And why are silver, soon to be gold, loyalty not enough? Flying with Delta Medallion previously, on AF/KL also and mostly, and being Gold medallion for years switching now to FB gold. As a lawyer with long litigation experience, I bet this would not stand in court and would be compensated to book replacement flights. I will definitely pursue this legally because is an unlawful practice since the deal was already concluded based on your invitation citing the price and the other party cannot unilaterally cancel it. The EU law gives me also the benefit to sue in my home country.
somody and BinbinChen like this.

Last edited by MitjaPod; Dec 18, 2023 at 9:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.