Canada - Europe OW 13,500 miles

Old Dec 22, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I don't have skin in this game, but I've participated in my fair share of mistake fares. I have to give credit to [MENTION=107928]Ben Lipsey[/MENTION] for coming up with a fair solution in a timely fashion.

Kudos Ben!

BTW, can FB please allow modifications to award tickets without having to completely lose the original award seat/reprice to higher rate? Not sure if it's policy or technical limitation, but it sucks to have to give up an award seat at lower redemption in order to add or change a connecting flight.
Goldorak, Solevita and Stil like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Hi all,

Unfortunately this deal was too good to be true. Due to a technical glitch affecting some city pairs (primarily French train stations), some of you were able to book fares for as low as 1,500 miles in J. This was an error fare; the true price should have been 37.5k miles which matches what is published for this month's promo rewards and can be found on FB.com.

All the 1,500 mile bookings have already been cancelled, and the 13.5k mile bookings will also soon be cancelled. Your miles and taxes will be refunded, and we will be sending out an email to those affected this week.

However, we are making an exception for FB Gold, Platinum, and Ultimate members who booked the 13.5k mile fares - in recognition of their loyalty, we will honour the mistake fares for these members.

Thanks for your understanding, and of course apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Ben Lipsey I understand that the 13.5k prices turned out to be not promos but mistakes. However I booked 3 tickets and 1 economy (2 outgoing and 2 returning) and now they are trying to charge me $56 to refund the 4th when you guys cancelled the 3 other tickets. I understand if you guys made a mistake and can't honor the prices but then to also charge customers for it is ridiculous. There should be some sort of memo to customer service to waive the fees for anybody effected. Not to mention there was no email or any sort of communication. Just cancelled. I had go go digging for this post.
FlyerJT and David7 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 4:11 am
Flying Blue Director

I'm surprised to hear that many of you didn't receive any communication on this. We sent out an email on Tuesday, and it was even posted earlier in this thread by someone. Sounds like perhaps there was a technical glitch somewhere; we will investigate.
sehgalanuj likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Stil
I don't wanna come over as to harsh, but you want compensation for a 1500miles award ticket in J that didn't materialise?
How long has it been since the first bookings were made, one and a half week and you are annoyed that there hasnt been sufficient communication for a 1500miles J ticket, that you knew was a mistake fare?
Really?
(I hope you never have to deal with ME3 or TK)

As somebody else wrote in this thread, we all know the game and this time you lost, next time you might get lucky?
But one things is for sure, you did this with open eyes and knew the risks, your expectations should be accordingly.

It's alright brother, you're not too harsh. I have experienced very subpar customer service from AF/KL since the COVID recovery, they denied claims for bizarre reasons, got claims mixed up with someone else's or simply didn't respond. Them cancelling this ticket without any notification fits right into this abysmal standard of service. I even wrote in my post that I don't care that the ticket was cancelled and I am just annoyed that it was done silently. Doesn't matter that I knew it was a mistake, I still want to hear it from them.

I am very happy for you that you get along with your Danish call center so well and hold AF/KL in such high esteem. I am almost a bit envious. But maybe you can understand that people who regularly get screwed over by AF/KL feel a different way.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Talking about legislation, there should be a law against CC points for premium cabins on non US carriers.
This was actually very funny
vovando likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by David7
It's alright brother, you're not too harsh. I have experienced very subpar customer service from AF/KL since the COVID recovery, they denied claims for bizarre reasons, got claims mixed up with someone else's or simply didn't respond. Them cancelling this ticket without any notification fits right into this abysmal standard of service. I even wrote in my post that I don't care that the ticket was cancelled and I am just annoyed that it was done silently. Doesn't matter that I knew it was a mistake, I still want to hear it from them.

I am very happy for you that you get along with your Danish call center so well and hold AF/KL in such high esteem. I am almost a bit envious. But maybe you can understand that people who regularly get screwed over by AF/KL feel a different way.
Some times there are perks with coming from a very small country and the call center in DK is one of them, I guess.

I would of course be very unhappy if AF/KL had treated me like you descripe and I'm very sympathetic!
Trust me I know bad customer service, I'm *G with TK and their agents should be on the cover of the incompetence book! but their miles redemption prices for North America is second to none by a mile, so I stick around.

I my experience dealing with airlines is a constant cost/benefit and loyalty doesn't pay off in the long run, but for the moment I'm very happy with the product of AF/KL.
​​​
Old Dec 23, 2023, 8:01 am

I'm surprised to hear that many of you didn't receive any communication on this.
Once again just for clarification. I did receive a email but it seemed highly similar if not identical to the email AF sends out when they cancel a flight due to a schedule change.

From a legal perspective alone, this is fairly questionable. From the email, I am getting the impression you are still willing to accommodate me, but not as originally booked. Hence my reference to EC261 above.

I think it would be more appropriate if you declared you didn't wish to enter into this contract/that the contract is void as is was just a mistake offer with no intent on part of AFKL/FB. Not all of your competitors go all legal-ese but they usually explain there's been a mistakez, that they are unable to honor the booking, and that they're sorry.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium
I'm surprised to hear that many of you didn't receive any communication on this. We sent out an email on Tuesday, and it was even posted earlier in this thread by someone. Sounds like perhaps there was a technical glitch somewhere; we will investigate.
I think there's more than a technical glitch going on. There's no communication within FB. My flights were first canceled in the app with no communication. I called on Wednesday and was put back on the flights with a new confirmation. Only to have them disappear from my trips yesterday and only received 1 of my trips miles back.

I can't express how disappointed I am in FB. 13,500 was not a unreasonable promo price, especially when compared to last years 50% promos. This was a classic bait and switch move. FB is acting like a used car salesman here.

To think I have to come to a forum to get communication on this...
vovando, Billyfergus and somody like this.

Last edited by RJAdventurer; Dec 23, 2023 at 10:34 am Reason: Communication
Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:22 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by ffgap
Once again just for clarification. I did receive a email but it seemed highly similar if not identical to the email AF sends out when they cancel a flight due to a schedule change.

From a legal perspective alone, this is fairly questionable. From the email, I am getting the impression you are still willing to accommodate me, but not as originally booked. Hence my reference to EC261 above.

I think it would be more appropriate if you declared you didn't wish to enter into this contract/that the contract is void as is was just a mistake offer with no intent on part of AFKL/FB. Not all of your competitors go all legal-ese but they usually explain there's been a mistakez, that they are unable to honor the booking, and that they're sorry.

The email we sent out, which you should have received like some other members here, said the following (and I'm quoting the message [MENTION=14894]GVA[/MENTION] posted) :

We’re sorry, your booking will be refunded

Due to a technical error, an unexpected issue occurred during your last booking. Unfortunately, you booked a mistake fare which should not have been available. As published on the Flying Blue website, you should have been quoted a minimum price of 37,500 Miles (representing a 25% discount). Therefore, we are unable to honour your reservation.

As a result, your reward ticket(s) will be cancelled and your Miles along with any taxes and fees will be refunded. Upon providing proof (i.e. receipts or proof of cancellations), you will also be compensated for any reasonable and actual out-of-pocket expenses that you might have incurred in relation to your ticket purchase.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. For additional assistance, please contact Flying Blue customer service.

Your Flying Blue team
Very distinct from a typical cancellation or schedule change email, and I believe indeed quite clear that this was a mistake fare that should not have been made available.

Again, I'm surprised the email wasn't received by more people (since a few posters here did receive it, it seems like there's a glitch somewhere) since we have confirmation it was sent, but we will indeed investigate. Clearly you shouldn't rely on FT for official communication, I'll be the first to admit that.

And we are following up with our contact centres regarding sending converted miles back to the original currency, since it's clear from the two dozen PMs I received many people are receiving incorrect information For anyone who deals with call centres, I hope you can appreciate it's not always easy to quickly communicate a significant change in policy, and only for a particular situation (since generally miles cannot be converted back to their original currency). But I have asked the teams there to reinforce this message. For those who did PM me regarding this, given it's 2 days beofre Christmas and many people are off next week, please be patient with us as sending miles back is a manual process. I promise we will get it done, but it might take a bit longer.
brunos, Verboten, 36902BRF and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Again, I'm surprised the email wasn't received by more people (since a few posters here did receive it, it seems like there's a glitch somewhere) since we have confirmation it was sent, but we will indeed investigate.
There are a plethora of reasons why a sent email may not be received by the intended recipient. This is not necessary a fault or a glitch. None of the email standards are built to guarantee delivery. It could have been lost in transit due to timeouts, an email server might have rejected delivery, intermediate server down, getting flagged as spam/junk, someone unsubscribed, etc. There's far too many reasons an email may not arrive. Just because usually it arrives within moments doesn't mean it is guaranteed. Given that people have reported receiving it, it probably was sent out and just didn't get delivered.

I am not sure how easy it is to setup booking notifications, but I have seen the AF/KL websites and apps being able to put out a customized notice in each booking. If this isn't too difficult to do, perhaps this would be helpful. Alternatively, maybe just a post on the FB website regarding this.

All said and done, I can see why people are upset to have lost what they considered a terrific deal, but it's also ridiculous that they make such noise about what was obviously an error fare. FB has been decent in this scenario. Ben Lipsey is even working with his teams to get miles refunded back to credit cards. They even offered to pay back extra expenses in a case by case basis. Acknowledge that it was a mistake fare, work to get your miles and expenses back, and move on. It'll be better for your own self to not dwell on it.
NickB, Maestro Ramen and Stil like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just waited on hold for 30 minutes for a Flying Blue agent. As soon as I requested miles be transfer back to my bank, the agent claimed my connection was bad and hung up on me.

Seems agents are desperate to avoid dealing with this topic.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Just waited on hold for 30 minutes for a Flying Blue agent. As soon as I requested miles be transfer back to my bank, the agent claimed my connection was bad and hung up on me.

Seems agents are desperate to avoid dealing with this topic.
Perhaps try to use the website's contact form. This way you also have a written trail to follow up with. Otherwise, maybe wait it out a few days since it is now Xmas holidays, and likely a lot of communication/training will be slowed down given that most people are going to be off until Wed.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 1:23 pm

Talking about legislation, there should be a law against CC points for premium cabins on non US carriers.
Why?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Hagwar Swanson
Why?
In short people should be rewarded for flying not spending in countries that doesn't have US CC schemes, with huge bonuses like in Europe.

Non US airlines like AF/KL are basically selling of their cheap premium cabin miles inventory to American CC holders, at the expense of their own elites and I don't like that.

Money makes the world go round I know, but to have a loyalty scheme that's more loyal to people that has never sat fot on one of the companies planes, just because they have a Chase CC and can transfer points is questionable.

So to be a bit constructive, I suggest that there should be a grace period where only FB elites can buy premium cabins, when new promo rewards are launched.

Last edited by Stil; Dec 24, 2023 at 4:52 am
Old Dec 24, 2023, 7:47 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
In short people should be rewarded for flying not spending in countries that doesn't have US CC schemes, with huge bonuses like in Europe.

Non US airlines like AF/KL are basically selling of their cheap premium cabin miles inventory to American CC holders, at the expense of their own elites and I don't like that.

Money makes the world go round I know, but to have a loyalty scheme that's more loyal to people that has never sat fot on one of the companies planes, just because they have a Chase CC and can transfer points is questionable.

So to be a bit constructive, I suggest that there should be a grace period where only FB elites can buy premium cabins, when new promo rewards are launched.
I don't disagree with you, and I would love for it to be based on flying as well. However, since the CC fees in the US aren't limited/regulated, for every purchase in the US, I'm paying an extra 5-10% that's baked in to the price of every item for every purchase, and not getting the full value back in miles. If I could just have that 5-10% back in reduced prices on everything, and use that savings to buy cash tickets, instead of hunting for miles deals, I would.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.