Canada - Europe OW 13,500 miles

Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Hi all,

Unfortunately this deal was too good to be true. Due to a technical glitch affecting some city pairs (primarily French train stations), some of you were able to book fares for as low as 1,500 miles in J. This was an error fare; the true price should have been 37.5k miles which matches what is published for this month's promo rewards and can be found on FB.com.

All the 1,500 mile bookings have already been cancelled, and the 13.5k mile bookings will also soon be cancelled. Your miles and taxes will be refunded, and we will be sending out an email to those affected this week.

However, we are making an exception for FB Gold, Platinum, and Ultimate members who booked the 13.5k mile fares - in recognition of their loyalty, we will honour the mistake fares for these members.

Thanks for your understanding, and of course apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Thanks for coming here and engaging. When should I see the refunded miles post to my Flying Blue account and the cash refunded to my Amex?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:20 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Thanks for coming here and engaging. When should I see the refunded miles post to my Flying Blue account and the cash refunded to my Amex?
The teams are working on it, should be done this week hopefully.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I purchased some train tickets associated with a 13.5K booking. Will Flying Blue be on the hook for that as it is non-refundable?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:51 am

Hi all,

Unfortunately this deal was too good to be true. Due to a technical glitch affecting some city pairs (primarily French train stations), some of you were able to book fares for as low as 1,500 miles in J. This was an error fare; the true price should have been 37.5k miles which matches what is published for this month's promo rewards and can be found on FB.com.

All the 1,500 mile bookings have already been cancelled, and the 13.5k mile bookings will also soon be cancelled. Your miles and taxes will be refunded, and we will be sending out an email to those affected this week.

However, we are making an exception for FB Gold, Platinum, and Ultimate members who booked the 13.5k mile fares - in recognition of their loyalty, we will honour the mistake fares for these members.

Thanks for your understanding, and of course apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Hi Ben - Appreciate you coming on here and communicating directly with us. Is there anything that will be done for those who transferred over points from a credit card issuer (Amex, Chase, etc.)? Those points cannot be refunded to the issuer and there are surely quite a few who transferred over points solely to book these flights. Now, those people are stuck with points in an account they wouldn't have transferred over otherwise. Again, appreciate any response or insights you can give on this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: DL/HH/IHG/BW/Caesar's Diamond (Select), UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott/MGM Gold, Hertz/Avis PC
Hi all,

Hi Ben, frequent AFKL flyer here. In fact I fly longhaul with you more than my frequent flyer program, Delta. I'm a Diamond with Delta but transferred AMEX points to book this deal. Will you be extending this offer of keeping the flights for all STE+ members? If not, will there be any compensation for those of us who transferred points into your program? I transferred 108k myself for a family trip.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Hi all,

Thanks for the official response. But with above position isn’t AF / KLM acknowledging discrimination on honoring fare rules & contract ?

By allowing certain elite status holders to maintain the PNR based on “mistake fare” - isn’t FB admitting one of the following

1) Fare was valid OR

2)discrimination within the class (everyone who booked the fare) as I don’t think contract law doesn’t allow an entity to apply separate rules for same contract.

not a lawyer but lawyer FT’ers can chime in
GVA, olouie, CodeAdam10 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: FB Gold, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Diamond; BW Diamond Select
Ben, the solution is a bad one for the reputation of AF/KLM and FB as it does not consider that having FB Gold, Platinum or Ultimate does not necessarily mean flying on AF/KLM, like posts have pointed this out above. If the decision to cancel tickets is final, this would call for a legal action to address such practices. And since some of us have the resources and knowledge to do it, we see it as a duty to the general public. Referring here to the Directive 2005/29/EC among other laws.

Last edited by MitjaPod; Dec 18, 2023 at 10:07 am
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Hi all,

Thanks for the public response, Ben, offering clarity, and honoring it for those that are lucky enough.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:12 am

i surprised my girl for our anniversary with a trip to antwerp which we spend our whole weekend planning
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi all,
Thank you so much for engaging here!! It's rare and special to see folks from the loyalty programs meeting customers where they are for a lot of reasons these days and I really appreciate it.

​​
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MitjaPod
As a lawyer with long litigation experience, I bet this would not stand in court and would be compensated to book replacement flights.
It seems pretty obvious that this is a commercial gesture - and quite a generous one at that - and a case of sour grapes (you led with the "I'm Silver" declaration).

And no, I have no skin in the game, but it's a very nice gesture for those who benefit from it.

👍
m.y, toastedcafe, lynxy and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:43 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Whilst I appreciate Ben's message and presence in the forum here (and in the past on Aeroplan), this leaves a very bad taste.

I'm a FB member since 20+ years and was in the past a FB Platinum member. It seems that recognition is only for the current members not longstanding.

I was seriously considering moving business to AF/KL next year after testing the product on this run, as a thank you for the fare (which wasn't free either).

I do wonder why FB believes that they are free to cancel tickets 3 days after issuance with no penalties when they would have made me pay. Surely at least we should obtain 50 euros as compensation for the cancellation, if you want to be totally fair. Otherwise it seems the conditions aren't equitable.

The end result is that I'll be cancelling my FB credit cards and avoiding SkyTeam like the plague.

In the meantime, as many were booked ex-YUL, Québec has very strong consumer protection laws, I suggest people consider taking legal action there.
David7 and Poku like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by irishguy28
It seems pretty obvious that this is a commercial gesture - and quite a generous one at that - and a case of sour grapes (you led with the "I'm Silver" declaration).

And no, I have no skin in the game, but it's a very nice gesture for those who benefit from it.

👍
agreeing to the intent but the proposed implementation seems to be discriminatory.

Discriminating within class of pax who engaged in same contract by canceling some claiming the fare is mistake fare but honoring select PNR booked under same “mistake fare” isn’t very convincing.

imho (again not a lawyer) - it’s more kosher if FB cancel all the tickets and then give subsection of elites X amount of FB miles to make them happy & for the trouble (which they can use to book a new ticket).

In short, FB have liberty to decide how they make their elite members happy ; that’s within the program’s discretion
But FB (in essence AFKLM) have obligation to follow contract law in participating jurisdictions regarding the ticketed itineraries.

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Dec 18, 2023 at 12:07 pm
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:44 am

It would be nice if AF would give the option to honor the 37.5k miles promo price that it was supposed to be for the tickets that are getting cancelled. I would gladly take that since I have an expensive AF return trip booked that will be useless if the outbound is cancelled. Or at the minimum allow cancellations of related bookings without the EUR 50 fee.
Six Travelers likes this.

Last edited by olouie; Dec 18, 2023 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:58 am

I haven't been in this hobby of award travel nearly as long as most others, but I have to say the amount of entitlement I am seeing from some posters here is absolutely insane. I too was caught up in the euphoria for the first twenty minutes or so of catching wind of these fares, but after spending a little bit of time to cool my head it became very obvious these were a result of a glitch and that AF has a history of not honoring these bookings when they are discovered, even in much smaller isolated cases. Considering that this incident effected dozens if not hundreds of tickets, the fact that they were willing to honor any of them at all for their elite members is already incredible enough to me as is. Congrats to the lucky few!

But for anyone else who is sticking around with the audacity to complain or even threatening legal action? Don't be ridiculous. The only real loss most of you suffered is some Chase/Amex points that are now stuck in your FB account, and while I certainly think it would be a nice gesture if FB could arrange a way to at least return your points to you (it's actually not impossible despite what others might say), expecting them to just give you a business class ticket is just nuts and reflects very poorly on this hobby if you ask me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.