Canada - Europe OW 13,500 miles

Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
It was not "cancelled quite fast." Bookings were made Friday afternoon. The announcement of cancellation was made on FlyerTalk on Monday, 3 days later. Many people who booked are not on FlyerTalk or dont follow this thread, and are unaware of the cancellation notice posted here. Many people who booked have received no formal notification and it's Tuesday morning Canada time, Tuesday afternoon France/Netherlands time.
They must be fairly travel savvy or at least subscribe to US travel blogs, in orden to know about the deal. 1500-5000-13500 miles for TATL J is a gamble no matter what! They should know it, if they know about the deal in the first place.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Hagwar Swanson
Ben Lipsey When rules are heavily favored towards an industry, it's hard to give them any sympathy. I'm sure if anyone of us made a error on our booking, customer service would kindly tell us to fluff off.

The amount of people on here praising AF for their generosity is just sad.
I'm just going to respond to this one.

AFKL have been generous with me when I made mistakes, and I'm a human, so I have:

Accidentally wrote my forum nickname instead of my Surname (Thank you google autocomplete!). Last minute refused me, so went straight to AF and no problem.
Accidentally booked the wrong flight dates, one month off. KL rebooked me without a fee as I called immediately.

Both of these were ages ago and I think I was not even silver. This does really tend to buy loyalty. I wouldn't expect FR to do the same.
Solevita, sehgalanuj, Stil and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Maestro Ramen; Dec 19, 2023 at 6:48 am Reason: Splitting post in two to avoid looking like I'm targeting someone in particular
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I'm not going to bother responding to any other posters, but it's amazing (and quite popcorn worthy) the amount of hurt buttocks.

You are on FT so you know the rules. You are not an innocent victim of bad consumer practice. You tried to exploit what you very well knew was an error fare. You played the game. You lost.
Accept the loss gracefully and move on, sheesh. You'll win another day.

Save the court's time for actual victims of bad consumer practice who are suffering considerable financial and emotional damage. Plenty of these around. You are not one of them.
NickB, gernabae, Goldorak and 14 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I'm not going to bother responding to any other posters, but it's amazing (and quite popcorn worthy) the amount of hurt buttocks.

You are on FT so you know the rules. You are not an innocent victim of bad consumer practice. You tried to exploit what you very well knew was an error fare. You played the game. You lost.

Save the court's time for actual victims of bad consumer practice who are suffering considerable financial and emotional damage. Plenty of these around. You are not one of them.
Hear hear nicely put!
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: FB Gold, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Diamond; BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen

Not gonna respond, responds to all arguments. You donít even know how to call what happened. And you donít even know how many cases AF/KL normally looses in courts. All legal what I wrote above stands.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Always fun to watch the righteous anger and indignation at the "damages" after a mistake fare is cancelled. So many cries of "I'll sue the lot! I'll win for sure I tell you!"

funny how they never seem to come back to show their winnings.
SteveCanary, lynxy, rushjc and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Always fun to watch the righteous anger and indignation at the "damages" after a mistake fare is cancelled. So many cries of "I'll sue the lot! I'll win for sure I tell you!"

funny how they never seem to come back to show their winnings.
You are pretty naÔve, thinking that there couldnít be a settlement, giving them what they wanted, but AF/KL requiring them not to disclose it.
Deckter likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Originally Posted by Stil
They must be fairly travel savvy or at least subscribe to US travel blogs, in orden to know about the deal. 1500-5000-13500 miles for TATL J is a gamble no matter what! They should know it, if they know about the deal in the first place.
Yes they probably monitor blogs. but there are also people who aren't really into the space who might have seen it on Twitter or Reddit or other places people may have posted it, or had a friend who is just tell them about it. Either way, a post on a FlyerTalk 3 days after booking does not constitute good or quick communication to those who held reservations. We are now 3.5 days past the booking with many people receiving no notification.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:55 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Yes they probably monitor blogs. but there are also people who aren't really into the space who might have seen it on Twitter or Reddit or other places people may have posted it, or had a friend who is just tell them about it. Either way, a post on a FlyerTalk 3 days after booking does not constitute good or quick communication to those who held reservations. We are now 3.5 days past the booking with many people receiving no notification.
While I'm somewhat active on FT (but only over on the AA forum), I heard about it from a friend who told me, and who also told me about the cancellations - no notice from the airline, and the charges on my CC did post today (despite the tickets being cancelled yesterday). While I'm bummed, I understood the risk (and didn't request leave time or cancel another trip I had booked for the same timeframe). And for AF/KL/FB, they'll be getting another transfer of points soon so I don't have them all sitting around in my account with the timer ticking, and can actually use them for a flight, so I guess they win.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:09 am

I booked 4 OW at 13.500miles a tickets.

Up until now from when AF/KL/FB announced that they would cancel all bookings not made by G/P ULTI the seat maps has changed dramatically.

Up to 70% less occupied seats 🤯
(I know that seat maps are not factual but this is to much to be a coincidence).

What it tels me is that most of these bookings were made by CC holders transferring points for the bonanza.
If there are one group of people I really don't feel sorry for its US CC holders!

Talking about legislation, there should be a law against CC points for premium cabins on non US carriers.
irishguy28 and SteveCanary like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I booked my reservation with points sitting in my FB account. They had previously been transferred months ago from a credit card in anticipation of a trip I didnt take. But there are also many people who had balances in their FB account from actual flying.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
While I understand and accept that AF would cancel those tickets based on an error fare, I am shocked by the discrimination for FB Gold and above.
I did not buy those awards. For many years I was Gold, until I moved to Asia.
But I find that discrimination unacceptable.
It also opens a pandora box for any litigation.
Either it is an error fare or it is not. Cancelling tickets selectively based on some factor that is irrelevant to the error seems a weird discrimination.
I sympathize with your sentiment here, but it is possible for a company to create targeted promotions, discount coupons, special fares, etc. without it being discrimination. It would be relatively simple to wrap this up as a special one-time promotion redemption fare for Gold and above FB elites. The only error that occurred in that situation would then be that non-elites were able to see and book fares, but the error was fixed.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:25 am

For all those attacking people who use credit card points, the contract with the carrier makes no distinction between how the points were accrued, nor should it. And FB sells points to the card issuers as a very profitable business, precisely so they can be used for redemptions on Air France.
36902BRF and jugaadkabaap like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Stil
I booked 4 OW at 13.500miles a tickets.

Up until now from when AF/KL/FB announced that they would cancel all bookings not made by G/P ULTI the seat maps has changed dramatically.

Up to 70% less occupied seats 🤯
(I know that seat maps are not factual but this is to much to be a coincidence).

What it tels me is that most of these bookings were made by CC holders transferring points for the bonanza.
If there are one group of people I really don't feel sorry for its US CC holders!

Talking about legislation, there should be a law against CC points for premium cabins on non US carriers.
Iím not a CC holder, and not Us. My FB miles were earned hard (and not reinstated either, not the money refunded - signs of they still hold on to the contract, just took back the deliverables). I do not intend to request refund myself. Will rather treat it involuntarily denied boarding as my backup. I will also appear at the airport and will buy a replacement ticket at that time.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
And also it will be an F ticket because J just wasn't available I'm sure I'm sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.