Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 12:03 pm

full refund on our CC

File a DOT complaint, and dispute the charge with your credit card company. It worked for us! CC company just sent us a notice informing us of a full refund on our CC.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
File a DOT complaint, and dispute the charge with your credit card company if you're still able to.
Thanks. I sent a letter in to Amex to dispute. The ticket was purchased a while ago so it was too late to dispute online.

The flights don't touch the USA so I think a DOT complaint is not going to work at this point.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:24 pm

KLM (and TAP!) Cancelled Bookings Paid With US Credit Card

Hi Everyone,

Have been looking through the forum but can't find any posts for my exact situation so hope someone can help! Living in London; I have upcoming flights on TAP and KLM that have been cancelled. Booked with a US credit card but both roundtrips don't touch US soil. Both airlines are pulling the usual voucher offer and I know with EU261 I am due a refund, but they're refusing to budge like with so many. Have filed formal complaints with both airlines via email, and filed a chargeback with Chase who have my CC in the US. Chase has just come back saying the charges are too old (June and December 2019) so can't do a chargeback...I have asked them to reconsider but doubt that will go anywhere. Do I have any other recourse other than to wait the 8 week period before filing a complaint with the Alternate Disputes guys here in the UK? I can't get the DOT involved, right?

I am slightly concerned as the TAP flights were due to depart on Thursday (7 May) and I don't want to risk losing all the money if I don't choose the voucher before departure...but I also don't want to lose my right to a refund if I do choose the voucher.

Thanks so much in advance.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
If you're based in the UK you might start a small claims procedure.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by LH757
Received EMD voucher, but was erroneously issued as non refundable for a cancelled flight:

NON REFUNDABLE NON TRANSFERABLE VALID FOR 1 YEAR ON AF KL DL VS KQ ONLY

Informed KL on the discrepancy and EMD reissued with comment:

THIS IS YOUR TRAVEL VOUCHER. VALID 12 MONTHS FOR AF/KL/DL/VS/KQ FARES*
COVID-19

Does not mention anywhere refundable after 12 months.

Any one had a similar experience?
exactly how mine read.

The other thing about these vouchers which I just learned today is that you cannot buys DL ticket, for example. You can buy an AF-coded ticket but Delta-coded operates one.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
If you're based in the UK you might start a small claims procedure.
thanks, may try that eventually. I’m more annoyed with Chase at the moment since there are ways to code the chargeback for cancelled services that do not have the typical 120 day limit as far as I am aware.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
exactly how mine read.

The other thing about these vouchers which I just learned today is that you cannot buys DL ticket, for example. You can buy an AF-coded ticket but Delta-coded operates one.
Thanks
Old May 7, 2020, 2:52 pm

A UK law firm is about to start class action against AF-KLM and Ryanair for not providing refunds according to EU law. Open to UK residents only for now.
https://www.theairlineclaim.com
Old May 7, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
exactly how mine read.

That would make sense, because AF/KLM sold you the ticket in the first place, so when they give you a voucher, it's on their books. Not Delta's- they don't owe you anything
Old May 8, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Just got off the phone with PSL and received two voucher (one for each ticket). It took a mere three minutes.
This was after waiting for a response for eight weeks and multiple contact requests through phone, Twitter and Facebook. All giving very conflicting information or no information at all.

The very helpful lady on the phone explained some things to me: it seems that if you have an outstanding refund (not voucher) request it will go on a big pile and get rejected automatically in 90% of the cases. Then it will go on another (huge) pile of refund requests a special team has to go through manually. That's why some requests take longer than others, which can - indeed - take up to one year to proces. Another thing that has changed is the validity of the voucher(s): she explained that the vouchers are now valid through December 31st, 2021.

I understand that is again just one PSL phone operator and that everyone's mileage (pun intended) may vary and that sometimes not the most correct information is given. I'm just glad I finally got my vouchers after waiting so long and getting all kinds of conflicting information.
Old May 8, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Didymis
That's why some requests take longer than others, which can - indeed - take up to one year to proces.
That's a homemade problem. This is largely automatable, but of course it's convenient to have this delay.
Didymis likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 5:47 am

it seems that if you have an outstanding refund (not voucher) request it will go on a big pile and get rejected automatically in 90% of the cases.
Just went through this. Four bookings, and on the phone discussed that I can accept vouchers for three, and want a refund for the fourth. Request for refund submitted, and a few days later I get a message that they're not going to process the refund request. Instead I would get a voucher in a couple of weeks. Objected on WhatsApp (mentioning EC 261 and US DOT, since it was a flight to the US) and got a canned response about (paraphrasing) the rules not applying at the moment and I should be understanding. Replied with the question if doing a chargeback would be my only recourse now, or if they're going to take my refund request seriously. Within minutes got a snide reply, saying that US DOT doesn't apply since I made the booking on the NL site, and that my voucher had been issued. No mention or acknowledgments of my rights under EC 261. And indeed, two minutes later I got the voucher in my mail, obviously triggered by my question about CC chargeback. Not sure how to proceed now, I still want my money back for this booking .
Old May 8, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
it seems that if you have an outstanding refund (not voucher) request it will go on a big pile and get rejected automatically in 90% of the cases.
And why is this ? Because they ignore the EU regulation - i.e. they willfully do something illegal.
bostontraveler and angra like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Another thing that has changed is the validity of the voucher(s): she explained that the vouchers are now valid through December 31st, 2021.
I have been issued a couple of vouchers that expire in twelve months: March 2021 (AF) and April 2021 (KLM).
Maybe I should have waited a few weeks longer before I phoned up to ask about the progress of my voucher.
The best strategy may be to leave your voucher request "in the system" until you are ready to fly again!
Old May 8, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by LH757
Received EMD voucher, but was erroneously issued as non refundable for a cancelled flight:

NON REFUNDABLE NON TRANSFERABLE VALID FOR 1 YEAR ON AF KL DL VS KQ ONLY

Informed KL on the discrepancy and EMD reissued with comment:

THIS IS YOUR TRAVEL VOUCHER. VALID 12 MONTHS FOR AF/KL/DL/VS/KQ FARES*
COVID-19

Does not mention anywhere refundable after 12 months.

Any one had a similar experience?
Despite my flight being canceled by Air France, my voucher also has the NON REF restriction on the voucher. I called Air France to have it removed and they checked with POS Italy, responding to me that indeed the voucher is refundable after one year *despite* the restriction listed.
He mentioned that the voucher numbers are attached to old reservations so the details are available in their system whenever I should make the refund request 12 months later.

Given that I've already spent 1 hour on the phone with Air France (called the US number x2), is it worth HUCA to try and get another agent to remove that restriction for peace of mind while memory is fresh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.