Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:29 pm

No reply from Air France

I flew from Los Angeles to Morocco, and the airline cancelled the return flight. I made it home by other means. On March 22, I requested a refund on the airline website, but have gotten no reply other than an automatic email that my request had been received. I just called customer service and she told me my request is in process, but there is a long backlog. She said it could take 4-8 weeks. On the AirFrance website, when I type in my booking number, they are actually listing me as a No-Show! I initiated a refund request from my credit card company; we'll see if that works. If the airline offers a voucher in lieu of a refund, can it only be used for the same flight that was originally booked? It doesn't do me much good to get return flight only. Any advice?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Had a flight IAD-DTW-AMS-JFK-DCA (purchased in the US). KLM coded, DL operated. When it canceled, both Delta and KLM said that I would only receive a voucher. But, I cannot use that to re-book with AMEX IAP. I called back and insisted on a refund based on the DOT guidance, and KLM agreed they would provide one. I'm waiting on further action at this point, hopefully it will be positive.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mirky
I flew from Los Angeles to Morocco, and the airline cancelled the return flight. I made it home by other means. On March 22, I requested a refund on the airline website, but have gotten no reply other than an automatic email that my request had been received. I just called customer service and she told me my request is in process, but there is a long backlog. She said it could take 4-8 weeks. On the AirFrance website, when I type in my booking number, they are actually listing me as a No-Show! I initiated a refund request from my credit card company; we'll see if that works. If the airline offers a voucher in lieu of a refund, can it only be used for the same flight that was originally booked? It doesn't do me much good to get return flight only. Any advice?
You should have contacted AF to rebook you instead of making your own arrangements. But that doesn't matter anymore now and I suppose you are happy to be back home safely. Regarding the question in bold in your post, you can use the voucher for any AF, KL, DL, VS flight.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Does the voucher amount include the booking fee, if paid previously?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
This is all fine and they will probably obey to it. However, they will claim that due to the extreme situation, they cannot stick to the 7 days imposed by the EU regulation - but rather repay in 3,4,5,6, months. In that case, it might be better to take a voucher if this was immediately available and rather flexible to use.
Going after your legal right as per above might take you even longer.

The difference between theory and application...
I highly doubt they will honor this... this is precisely what they have been doing for the past several weeks-- denying the refunds.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Does the voucher amount include the booking fee, if paid previously?
No, it doesn't. The booking fee is not refundable.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
This is my experience, i have 3 business class tickets (Asia- UK) flight had been cancelled and flights not due to start until Late July, KLM offered me either change the flight until 30th November or Voucher, I called KLM and said i would be happy with flights mid December returning Late December but was told this wouldnt be possible unless a paid a change fee and extra fare, i couldn't travel earlier due to School Holidays. KLM also told me on the phone that the Dutch Gov had instructed no refunds and the EU has no power (which is complete rubbish) I refused the refund on the basis i had to apply for it and it would be issued on different terms and conditions than the original ticket.

Spoke to the credit card company and they agreed with my view on the above and they would carry out a charge back on the original terms and conditions , charge back was confirmed within 12 hours and we shall now see what happens with KLM response to the credit card company,

Honestly i wouldn't have an issue changing the flight to late 2020/early 2021 but KL,M are not flexible so i had no other choice.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:31 am

On the KLM site, it says "If you want to cancel your flight or if it has been cancelled by the airline, you can request a refund in the form of a travel voucher. You can do so until 30 September 2020, even if your original travel date has already passed."

Does that mean that even if we do a no-show, we'll be able to request a voucher?

Our flight was supposed to be on April 27th, but it was canceled. A few days later, they re-booked it automatically to April 29th, but we don't want to fly due to immigration restrictions at destination and health concerns. Since they re-booked, we can't get the voucher that get's refunded after 1 year, if I understand correctly. Would be surprised if the flight on 29th doesn't also get canceled, but in case it doesn't, can we just not show up and get a voucher after the fact?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
You can - according to EU regulations, when a flight is cancelled by the airline, YOU can decide whether you want to be rebooked or refunded (under conditions, e.g. if the airline is in the EU, or the flight starts in the EU).
So based on the fact that your April 27 flight is cancelled, you can ask for a refund (which normally should be in cash, but in this case probably only a refundable voucher)
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I highly doubt they will honor this... this is precisely what they have been doing for the past several weeks-- denying the refunds.
KLM has started to backtrack a little bit, grudgingly and unwillingly, most likely under pressure from the USDOT. They now say that tickets booked in the US and for travel from the US are eligble for a refund. Aparently they are still trying to fudge the issue, as USDOT rules apply to all flights departing from the US, regardless of where they have been booked.

Source (in Dutch).

Johan
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This experience should give everyone a good idea where to spend their money post Wuhan Coronavirus.
mfkne and palmanfr like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
No, it doesn't. The booking fee is not refundable.
Of course; the law is clear; with an airline-imposed cancellation these fees need to be refunded in cash, as well.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
3.5 weeks later Air France has now responded to my refund request. To my surprise they said they would refund, but of course Amex has already completed the chargeback.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
You can - according to EU regulations, when a flight is cancelled by the airline, YOU can decide whether you want to be rebooked or refunded (under conditions, e.g. if the airline is in the EU, or the flight starts in the EU).
So based on the fact that your April 27 flight is cancelled, you can ask for a refund (which normally should be in cash, but in this case probably only a refundable voucher)
We can get a voucher of course, but it will be non-refundable after 1 year because they re-booked us, I guess. I don't think that's fair, given that they should actually be refunding us now, in normal times. We're thinking about waiting and seeing if the new flight gets canceled again. Then, we'd be able to get the refundable voucher.
But if they cancel 1 day before and we ask for the voucher, it might still be deemed a non-show because of the lag in everything.
I wonder if we still be able to get the voucher in that case.
They do say "You can request a travel voucher until 30 September 2020, even if your original travel date has already passed.", but does that really mean that you can not show up and on Sept 29 decide that you want a voucher?
I wished they were more clear about the conditions applying...
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by TomPete
We can get a voucher of course, but it will be non-refundable after 1 year because they re-booked us, I guess. I don't think that's fair, given that they should actually be refunding us now, in normal times. We're thinking about waiting and seeing if the new flight gets canceled again. Then, we'd be able to get the refundable voucher.
But if they cancel 1 day before and we ask for the voucher, it might still be deemed a non-show because of the lag in everything.
I wonder if we still be able to get the voucher in that case.
They do say "You can request a travel voucher until 30 September 2020, even if your original travel date has already passed.", but does that really mean that you can not show up and on Sept 29 decide that you want a voucher?
I wished they were more clear about the conditions applying...
i changed a flight to a new one to be clear a flight to manilla in june...klm cancelled the new flight and sent me a voucher non refundable... so i guess you will have the same

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.