Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
If your PRG-AMS flight was 150 EUR, your voucher will be 150 EUR. If you buy a new ticket at 200 EUR, you will use the 150 EUR voucher and will pay the 50 EUR difference by credit card. If you buy a new ticket at 100 EUR, you will use 100 EUR from your voucher and you will receive a new voucher for the remaining credit of 50 EUR.
that is what I assumed. Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Following up on this: has anyone received such voucher already (or the refundable one in case the flight was cancelled) ?
Just asking since I agreed to a voucher for an inexpensive flight that was cancelled, but haven't heard from them since (and I would like to have the voucher available in case I want to do some booking in the next weeks).
Originally Posted by NumbThumb
I had a flight canceled exactly one week ago, applied for the voucher right after I received the cancelation notice. No voucher yet. I'm giving them 2 weeks before I start to inquire.
Had the same situation here on several KL or AF bookings. Filed refund requests between March 20th and April 2nd and the only voucher I received without asking again was yesterday for my girlfriend's ticket for a flight supposed to take off today.
All the vouchers I received (including today) were following calls I made to AF/KL PSL (I suppose any AF/KL phone number would work here, the agents can issue vouchers "on the spot" it seems, but it might be easier to convince them if your flight is within the next 72 hours, or if you need to use the voucher very soon for a new booking)
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr
Had the same situation here on several KL or AF bookings. Filed refund requests between March 20th and April 2nd and the only voucher I received without asking again was yesterday for my girlfriend's ticket for a flight supposed to take off today.
All the vouchers I received (including today) were following calls I made to AF/KL PSL (I suppose any AF/KL phone number would work here, the agents can issue vouchers "on the spot" it seems, but it might be easier to convince them if your flight is within the next 72 hours, or if you need to use the voucher very soon for a new booking)
so maybe i will try to same something good....
If your flight is bought on klm
af will not issue vouchers
I had flights for 8 april all cancelled still no vouchers...af flights... 2 vouchers
Klm issued one voucher one week ago for a flight cancelled 28 march
i waited 8 days for that voucher thanks to klm amsterdam..since klm france told me to wait 6 weeks

I m still waiting for 3 vouchers for flights in may but i guess klm will take their time.....
but if you are waiting for a non refundable voucher...and you are not in a rush... i think better to wait so it will be valide longer
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by rtwer
in france laws are more of less guidelines
Um, no. Untrue.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I requested a travel voucher online from KLM on 3rd April. The system message said it could take "more than a week".

1 to 2 weeks wait would be fine by me. I'm not going anywhere. But some posters have said that they needed to follow up with a phone call to AF/KL to get the voucher.
I'll wait for 10 day working days and then call them.
The phrase "more than a week" could actually mean three months!
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
One would think that it cannot be too hard to automatically create a voucher with the data available in the system. "More than a week" is a joke.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mikem004
I requested a travel voucher online from KLM on 3rd April. The system message said it could take "more than a week".

1 to 2 weeks wait would be fine by me. I'm not going anywhere. But some posters have said that they needed to follow up with a phone call to AF/KL to get the voucher.
I'll wait for 10 day working days and then call them.
The phrase "more than a week" could actually mean three months!
Originally Posted by HeartFist
One would think that it cannot be too hard to automatically create a voucher with the data available in the system. "More than a week" is a joke.
I had a trip to TXL booked for early may. I received the cancellation notification by email and sms with a link to claim for a voucher. Two clicks and a few fields to fill in a form and I received the voucher by email. No need to call. Whole process took less than 2 min .
Wil973 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I had a trip to TXL booked for early may. I received the cancellation notification by email and sms with a link to claim for a voucher. Two clicks and a few fields to fill in a form and I received the voucher by email. No need to call. Whole process took less than 2 min .
Looks like you were one of the lucky ones Goldorak. Maybe the fact you are Club2000 helped ? For me, poor Platinum member, I did not receive anything after 20 days waiting. But a few calls to the PSL made the vouchers appear within a day in my inbox, so it is possible, but one need to take extra steps. (Cannot complain too much though, at least i can call the PSL...)
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by warakorn
Has Amex France gave you that statement in writing?
Or is it just some hearsay being told by call center agents?

I am asking, because they are many people who believe everything other people are telling them on the phone.
How can one get something in writing from American Express? A serious question...

No Twitter, no social media whatsoever, no communication via email. The only way would be to send them a certified letter, return receipt requested. Most post offices are closed and mail is taking a long time to be delivered.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by palmanfr
Looks like you were one of the lucky ones Goldorak. Maybe the fact you are Club2000 helped ? For me, poor Platinum member, I did not receive anything after 20 days waiting. But a few calls to the PSL made the vouchers appear within a day in my inbox, so it is possible, but one need to take extra steps. (Cannot complain too much though, at least i can call the PSL...)
Same here. Requested 3 weeks ago and still nothing.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siw
So KLM are putting the governments on the side of the airline and not the customer.
Airlines Must Issue CoronaVirus Cancellation Refunds, Says EU

"The airlines have to offer passengers a choice between a reimbursement or a rerouting,” said a Commission spokesperson. “Passenger rights are protected by law in the European Union."

Johan
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Airlines Must Issue CoronaVirus Cancellation Refunds, Says EU

"The airlines have to offer passengers a choice between a reimbursement or a rerouting,” said a Commission spokesperson. “Passenger rights are protected by law in the European Union."

Johan
This is all fine and they will probably obey to it. However, they will claim that due to the extreme situation, they cannot stick to the 7 days imposed by the EU regulation - but rather repay in 3,4,5,6, months. In that case, it might be better to take a voucher if this was immediately available and rather flexible to use.
Going after your legal right as per above might take you even longer.

The difference between theory and application...
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Amex France has no email adress?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:25 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I had some KLM flights on 057 ticket stock; applied for the voucher through the AF website but did not even get so much as a confirmation email. No reference of my request to be found in the booking either. I'm a little doubtful that this is going to work at all..

Another flight for May that was canceled should be changeable for free:

Booked a flight before or on 16 April 2020 and with a scheduled departure before or on 30 June 2020? If you want to cancel your flight or if it has been cancelled by the airline, please see below rebooking and voucher options we can offer you.

1. Rebook your flight

Change your travel dates

• You may change your travel dates without having to pay the change fee.
  • Is your new travel date before or on 30 November 2020? You can change your travel dates if the same travel class as mentioned on your original ticket is available.
However the online rebooking process for these cancelled flights is charging a 70 euro change fee, plus a fare difference. This is not the time to mess up your IT KLM!

Last edited by Xandrios; Apr 10, 2020 at 11:37 am
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Same here. Requested 3 weeks ago and still nothing.
Requested almost 4 weeks ago, still nothing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.