Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Seems like the 15% is not totally official yet, talking to KL customer services they indicated that it would be «somewhat higher» than ticket price. Decision is to be made asap, I was told.

Hence I will wait. 15% is also a bit on the low side compared to NAS and Wizz.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by KLBGO
Seems like the 15% is not totally official yet, talking to KL customer services they indicated that it would be «somewhat higher» than ticket price. Decision is to be made asap, I was told.

Hence I will wait. 15% is also a bit on the low side compared to NAS and Wizz.
Knowing AF/KL, I think that additional % will more likely be lower than the 15% currently communicated/offered. If you're expecting a higher number, you'd might be deeply disappointed.
johan rebel and KLBGO like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Why don't you send them a message on Twitter? That way you have the confirmation in writing.
Hi! Just wanted to quickly share AF's response on Twitter for others who might find it useful:
"Hello, thank you for contacting us again. Our apologies for the delayed response. We would like to clarify that the voucher is non-refundable within the one year validity. However, if unused, it will become refundable 12 months after its issue date. We hope this clarifies your concern."
Old May 19, 2020, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Thysk
Knowing AF/KL, I think that additional % will more likely be lower than the 15% currently communicated/offered. If you're expecting a higher number, you'd might be deeply disappointed.
As an Italian living in France for 7 years there is one thing that I have noticed that is quite humorous...
The French LOVE 15% discounts. Really, it seems like a magic number, a magical notion... I think it's because it's just élégant... something higher than 10% (nobody wants that) but something lower than 20% (we don't want to seem desperate).

Enter the Dutch. They will find a way to make the French be more pragmatic.

A group will gather on each side of the room and try to stretch a voucher as far as it can go.

Someone will measure it as it snaps (it's quite flimsy). 6% says one. 9% says another.

AFKL Corporate watches and decides on 2.5%.

PD- The Italian claims all above discounts.

:-)
Old May 22, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by lkar
It can't hurt to reach out by phone but I suspect it is not going to help either.

They are just giving everyone the run around. I had fully refundable tickets. I submitted the refund form online in March. I got the e-mail that said they were too busy. I heard nothing for a while and called around March 25 or so. It took about an hour but the agent finally agreed that the ticket conditions allowed me to refund. A week or so later, I got an e-mail responding to my online request telling me I could have a voucher. I responded that my tickets were fully refundable, this wasn't a cancellation related to COVID, and their own policies make clear I get a refund for refundable tickets. I also noted that a phone agent had already agreed to give me a refund but that they had not issued it yet.

About two weeks ago I got another e-mail responding to my early April email informing me that since AF had not yet cancelled the flight, I was only entitled to a refund of the taxes and I would have to wait to see if AF cancelled the flight. I responded that (a) I had already cancelled the ticket, (b) I had already been promised a refund by the phone agent in March, and (c) that this was not a COVID related situation but that my ticket was a fully flexible refundable ticket.

Nothing.

I am a very small sample size but my experience suggests that there's really no overriding plan here by AF other than to hold on to cash as best they can and to say whatever they need to say to do so and worry about it later.
Just a short update on my ongoing saga with AF. At this point it has almost become satire and this is mostly for entertainment value about how unbelievably dishonest this company is.

Short story -- I had fully refundable tickets. I cancelled in March and the phone agent said I would receive a refund to my credit card, after which they started jerking me around.

Anyway, I got fed up and initiated a chargeback with Amex (USA). Today -- which I believe is the 30th day that they have to respond to the chargeback -- they sent me an e-mail with a letter that said I would receive a refund in about "two weeks." The letter also said, however, that I would be charged a "handling fee" of about 12 percent of the overall fare. The letter is hilarious. It actually has two columns -- one is for "fees based on the ticketing conditions" and one is for "handling fees." Then there is a footnote -- "The Total Amount Refunded for each document includes the applicable fees linked to the fare rules as well as the handling fees." There is nothing in the "ticketing conditions" column -- because it was a fully refundable fare. But then in the "handling fees" column they have just decided to pay themselves part of the refund for refunding my refundable ticket.

I suspect it is just a gambit to try to convince Amex that they should not suffer a charge back, and it just may work -- they probably know there are limits to everyone's will to keep fighting. I'd love to be able to say, "but they will never get another dime from me," but I can't even say that because I have a bunch of miles that I have to use up in my AF account.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
I just called the PSL to request a refund on a series of cancelled flights mid-june on AF. This trip was initally on KLM and paid using a voucher received following the cancellation of the original flights at the end of march. The KL cancelled the flights, so I got rebooked the same day on AF. Then AF cancelled the flights on May 13th (so just before the policy change concerning refunds).
I called the Dutch PSL who wanted to give me a voucher. When I enquired about getting cash back (I paid with a voucher which I received following the cancellation of a booking I paid cash), he did put me on hold for a good 5 minutes and when he took back the call, the line got bad and eventually dropped.
I then decided to call the French PSL, and spoke to a very friendly agent who told me that since the original mean of payment of this booking was a voucher, he could only offer me a refund in the form of a voucher, but with 15% on top, and refundable after 1 year if not used. I accepted the offer (well- I had no choice) and received the voucher on the spot. However, the additional 15% don't show up on the voucher value. The agent told me that their IT was still working on it, but eventually, the AF and KLM websites would automatically add the 15% at the time of payment of a new booking. I asked if this would be retroactive also and he claimed yes, unused vouchers following cancellations would be topped up of 15%, so do the residual vouchers issued in case of partial use of vouchers.
So my question is easy : Was the agent correct and is it normal that the issued voucher has not been topped of 15% ? When I try to make a new booking with it, the nominal value shows up, not the bonified one.
The entire voucher story is quite a sh*t show really...
Old May 22, 2020, 12:35 pm

Yes, the agent is correct. They have only announced the 15% extra voucher value, but they haven't implemented it yet.

See also the last sentence of this part of the KLM website:
Old May 23, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I would like an official statement about vouchers that we have already received for flights that were cancelled *before* 15 May.
palmanfr #411 seems to indicate that 15% will added automatically by the booking system. When they fix the software. We will see...
Old May 23, 2020, 6:03 am

That can also be found on the KLM page (and on the AF page I imagine):

Under section 2 it is mentioned that you get the 15% bonus. It is not very difficult to find this information on their webpage...
mikem004 likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
This whole craziness of pre-vs-post May 15 cancellations is ridiculous. Has anyone seen any complaints presented/online reporting/company communication on this?

It really is incredible that even AFTER AFKLM and other airlines were asked to refund that they would have the audacity to institute this policy. Especially since the vast majority of tickets cancelled are already in a voucher form. Then again, it doesn't surprise me...
johan rebel, SkyteamEP and Thysk like this.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
That's pretty unbelievable that they would invent a refund handling fee out of no where.

I looked at the AF sites again and there are administrative fees based on point of sale and point of cancellation.
For example the poor people of Canada have to pay a $30 free for the privilege of using the webform to request a ticket cancellation even though they disabled the cancel button on My Bookings awhile ago.

That being said for Air France US point of sale/ issued tickets there is no fee charged for changes made by calling their 1800 number.
https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local..._airfrance.htm
Comparing the AF websites of Canada vs US, you can see a huge difference in "admin fees" charged. Thankfully again the in US case, there are no fees to cancel by phone and no explicit declaration of fees (as they are done on the Canada site) for webform cancellations.

Additionally for fully changeable and refundable tickets there is no assessment of additional fees.: "They apply to requests to change or refund a ticket (except tickets that allow changes and refunds at no extra charge, and tickets issued for infants under 2 years of age).

That being said an airline that must follow US DOT regulations are prohibited from inventing fees post purchase that were not disclosed at the point of sale. While understandably an "administrative fee" isn't part of listed ticket fare conditions - it is something that is properly posted and publicly available for viewing and must be clear to the consumer. Currently I see absolutely no indication on the website of any universal refund "handling fee" - much less for an outrageous 12% - how did they come up with that number?

This is similar to restocking fees - if there is a restocking fee it must be either disclosed upfront or displayed on a receipt or at least on the policy page of a company's website for it to be valid. A merchant cannot arbitrarily pick a fee and charge it - imagine if it was a 50% admin/handling/restocking fee. I mean if they disclosed it as a 50% penalty in the beginning the consumer has no recourse - but a merchant is responsible to say 1. if there is a fee assessed and 2. what that fee is suppose to be. The charging of a non disclosed arbitrary fee is invalid. It is essentially a "cancellation fee"(included in fare conditions) disguised as a "handling fee(not included in fare conditions)." But in this case the handling fee is listed absolutely no where - so it is completely arbitrary.

I certainly do not think that AF is refunding cancelled US DOT regulated Covid tickets with a less 12%. US DOT is clear - if airlines cancel, you get a full refund. If you have a fully refundable ticket - you get a full refund.
https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds

In your specific case:
- I have a feeling that their e-mail to you has nothing to do with your dispute. You've been waiting for 2+ months, it was time that they get back to you) While the timing is curious this would assume that AF refund operations is saavy enough to have put all the pieces together and come up with an ingenious way for you to close your dispute with AMEX and accept their generous offer of a refund less 12%. I think they assume you are desperate an exhausted at this point - and will take what you can get. I mean you are not going to say "no" and it is pointless for you to call AF reservations and argue your case - most folks would just give up.
- Of course you are entitled to your full refund - but it doesn't mean you won't have to go thru more red tape to get it back. Do not close your dispute with AMEX. What will happen is that AF will issue a refund less 12% back to your card. At that point they will respond to the dispute and say: "look money refunded - happy?" And AMEX will come back to you and say, okay looks resolved - confirm that you're happy - or continue dispute.
- At that point, continue your dispute - I think that if it was Visa/MC this would be the end of the road but AMEX has a lot of pull and not only that they are known to be consumer centric when the consumer is obviously right. You'll just have to wait longer for a full resolution.

I think that they are doing to you is quite outrageous and fundamentally unnecessary - creating a mess out of a mess which delays the whole queue, makes you and other people unhappy, more work and admin costs globally and bogs down their operations and ability to help others. It just doesn't make sense unless they are truly desperate for that 12%. But I guess if the majority of consumers choose not to fight and are just thankful to get 88% of their money back - I'm the fool for thinking it doesn't make business sense.

Oh and I would file a DOT complaint as well - everything is taking tons of time to process and you want everything on paper - AF is obligated to respond to all DOT requests in writing - so they would have to prove to the DOT in some way that the less 12% was justified - I'd love to see them argue that one.

Just a short update on my ongoing saga with AF. At this point it has almost become satire and this is mostly for entertainment value about how unbelievably dishonest this company is.

Short story -- I had fully refundable tickets. I cancelled in March and the phone agent said I would receive a refund to my credit card, after which they started jerking me around.

Anyway, I got fed up and initiated a chargeback with Amex (USA). Today -- which I believe is the 30th day that they have to respond to the chargeback -- they sent me an e-mail with a letter that said I would receive a refund in about "two weeks." The letter also said, however, that I would be charged a "handling fee" of about 12 percent of the overall fare. The letter is hilarious. It actually has two columns -- one is for "fees based on the ticketing conditions" and one is for "handling fees." Then there is a footnote -- "The Total Amount Refunded for each document includes the applicable fees linked to the fare rules as well as the handling fees." There is nothing in the "ticketing conditions" column -- because it was a fully refundable fare. But then in the "handling fees" column they have just decided to pay themselves part of the refund for refunding my refundable ticket.

I suspect it is just a gambit to try to convince Amex that they should not suffer a charge back, and it just may work -- they probably know there are limits to everyone's will to keep fighting. I'd love to be able to say, "but they will never get another dime from me," but I can't even say that because I have a bunch of miles that I have to use up in my AF account.
lkar likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
It really is incredible that even AFTER AFKLM and other airlines were asked to refund that they would have the audacity to institute this policy. Especially since the vast majority of tickets cancelled are already in a voucher form. Then again, it doesn't surprise me...
This is just because the minister would protect them as she has done. Once again, if anyone is or knows a Dutch lawyer that would be interested in filing criminal charges against the minister, contact me.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:14 am

Thanks for taking the time to post. I am going to do as you suggest and keep disputing and hope Amex is able to stand firm.

Originally Posted by mrkymark
That's pretty unbelievable that they would invent a refund handling fee out of no where.

I looked at the AF sites again and there are administrative fees based on point of sale and point of cancellation.
For example the poor people of Canada have to pay a $30 free for the privilege of using the webform to request a ticket cancellation even though they disabled the cancel button on My Bookings awhile ago.

That being said for Air France US point of sale/ issued tickets there is no fee charged for changes made by calling their 1800 number.
https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local..._airfrance.htm
Comparing the AF websites of Canada vs US, you can see a huge difference in "admin fees" charged. Thankfully again the in US case, there are no fees to cancel by phone and no explicit declaration of fees (as they are done on the Canada site) for webform cancellations.

Additionally for fully changeable and refundable tickets there is no assessment of additional fees.: "They apply to requests to change or refund a ticket (except tickets that allow changes and refunds at no extra charge, and tickets issued for infants under 2 years of age).

That being said an airline that must follow US DOT regulations are prohibited from inventing fees post purchase that were not disclosed at the point of sale. While understandably an "administrative fee" isn't part of listed ticket fare conditions - it is something that is properly posted and publicly available for viewing and must be clear to the consumer. Currently I see absolutely no indication on the website of any universal refund "handling fee" - much less for an outrageous 12% - how did they come up with that number?

This is similar to restocking fees - if there is a restocking fee it must be either disclosed upfront or displayed on a receipt or at least on the policy page of a company's website for it to be valid. A merchant cannot arbitrarily pick a fee and charge it - imagine if it was a 50% admin/handling/restocking fee. I mean if they disclosed it as a 50% penalty in the beginning the consumer has no recourse - but a merchant is responsible to say 1. if there is a fee assessed and 2. what that fee is suppose to be. The charging of a non disclosed arbitrary fee is invalid. It is essentially a "cancellation fee"(included in fare conditions) disguised as a "handling fee(not included in fare conditions)." But in this case the handling fee is listed absolutely no where - so it is completely arbitrary.

I certainly do not think that AF is refunding cancelled US DOT regulated Covid tickets with a less 12%. US DOT is clear - if airlines cancel, you get a full refund. If you have a fully refundable ticket - you get a full refund.
https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds

In your specific case:
- I have a feeling that their e-mail to you has nothing to do with your dispute. You've been waiting for 2+ months, it was time that they get back to you) While the timing is curious this would assume that AF refund operations is saavy enough to have put all the pieces together and come up with an ingenious way for you to close your dispute with AMEX and accept their generous offer of a refund less 12%. I think they assume you are desperate an exhausted at this point - and will take what you can get. I mean you are not going to say "no" and it is pointless for you to call AF reservations and argue your case - most folks would just give up.
- Of course you are entitled to your full refund - but it doesn't mean you won't have to go thru more red tape to get it back. Do not close your dispute with AMEX. What will happen is that AF will issue a refund less 12% back to your card. At that point they will respond to the dispute and say: "look money refunded - happy?" And AMEX will come back to you and say, okay looks resolved - confirm that you're happy - or continue dispute.
- At that point, continue your dispute - I think that if it was Visa/MC this would be the end of the road but AMEX has a lot of pull and not only that they are known to be consumer centric when the consumer is obviously right. You'll just have to wait longer for a full resolution.

I think that they are doing to you is quite outrageous and fundamentally unnecessary - creating a mess out of a mess which delays the whole queue, makes you and other people unhappy, more work and admin costs globally and bogs down their operations and ability to help others. It just doesn't make sense unless they are truly desperate for that 12%. But I guess if the majority of consumers choose not to fight and are just thankful to get 88% of their money back - I'm the fool for thinking it doesn't make business sense.

Oh and I would file a DOT complaint as well - everything is taking tons of time to process and you want everything on paper - AF is obligated to respond to all DOT requests in writing - so they would have to prove to the DOT in some way that the less 12% was justified - I'd love to see them argue that one.
Old May 23, 2020, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rambol
That can also be found on the KLM page (and on the AF page I imagine):

Under section 2 it is mentioned that you get the 15% bonus. It is not very difficult to find this information on their webpage...
Right. I think the problem is that we haven't seen how this is going to work in practice... as the days pass....

Of course, the longer they wait, the fewer people will benefit from the 15% as vouchers are redeemed and people forget...

Sorry for the pessimistic calculus but every single action they have taken has been consistent with conserving cash at the expense of the consumer.

As an occasional lecturer at business schools, I would absolutely love to bring this case to a business ethics class...
Thysk likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thanks for taking the time to post. I am going to do as you suggest and keep disputing and hope Amex is able to stand firm.
Earlier you stated that you had a "fully flexible refundable fare".
It might be useful to know your exact fare code and itinerary.

Full refund without fee is getting rare those days unless you pay an atrocious price. Many tickets are flexible in terms of change, and refundable but with a penalty.
Without examination of the exact fare rules of your ticket, it is hard to know whether the 12% is not the normal penalty that applies for refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.