Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:22 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Wil973
Took me 12 hours called saturday afternoon received sunday... saw someone received in 10 min yesterday.... soooo depends
It seems that it would have been quicker for me to cancel via phone, and ignore the online form!
irishguy28 and Wil973 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Yes - best to call them.I had 2 vouchers pending for 3 weeks (after online refund demand on AF website), and when I called yesterday they arrived in my email after 5 mins.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Yes - best to call them.I had 2 vouchers pending for 3 weeks (after online refund demand on AF website), and when I called yesterday they arrived in my email after 5 mins.
It is particularly annoying, because KLM's advice is to use the self-service option. Rather than contact their call centres.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikem004
It is particularly annoying, because KLM's advice is to use the self-service option. Rather than contact their call centres.
Have you tried their Twitter team? Worth a shot.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Yes, definitely better to call. When calling, I've obtained the voucher immediately (whilst still on the line with the agent). By contrast, the one request that I submitted online (on 1 April) led to me receiving nothing further until 20 April - when I got an email that simply said my voucher request had been submitted. Still waiting for the actual voucher!

I've found that any 'change' left over from a voucher also needs chasing up. Never heard anything about the residual amount on the first voucher I used, until I called up.

Frustrating really, as I'd rather not clog the phone lines up asking for vouchers!
Wil973 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
for me it took 30 sec every time (to claim for the voucher, a link was included in the sms and email received about flight cancellation. Those were all direct AF bookings, no 3rd parties).
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
for me it took 30 sec every time (to claim for the voucher, a link was included in the sms and email received about flight cancellation. Those were all direct AF bookings, no 3rd parties).
Same for me.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:42 am

I received an email from Air France on April 16 that my MAN to CDG flight on May 18 was cancelled. Logged into the Air France website that same day (April 16) and requested a refund back to my credit card as the flight was cancelled by the airline. I received an email (also same day after requesting refund) that the sales and service center is experiencing longer than usual wait times.

Since then I have not received any additional information regarding my refund or even an initial email confirming that a refund is in process. Should I reach out via phone?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:41 am

It is nearly 4 weeks since I applied for my voucher from KLM and I still have not received the voucher by email.
The KLM web site claims that you can look up the status of your voucher request, but no details at all were shown for my request!
So I called the number on my FB Gold card. They sent me to AF/KLM, where I held on the phone for 20 mins while an agent created an EMD receipt and emailed it to me.
As others had noted, you may need to chase AF/KLM up for. Even if like me you opted for a voucher, thinking that this would be the most straightforward option.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Euronews
A dozen EU states will today call on Brussels to temporarily suspend a European law granting refunds for cancelled flights, Euronews understands.

France and the Netherlands will spearhead the push, which is expected to come during a meeting of European transport ministers.
The 12 countries are: Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czechia, Greece, France, Ireland, Latvia, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland and Portugal.

https://www.permanentrepresentations...onverteerd.pdf
Attached Images   
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Interesting order of priorities at the end: First allow vouchers, then let's discuss how we can protect them against bankruptcy.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Funny how in all my communications with AF they have basically lied- saying that they were in full compliance with current regulations-- citing the "ordonnance" as proof that they could issue vouchers.

What a textbook case of a lack of ethics.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
Received EMD voucher, but was erroneously issued as non refundable for a cancelled flight:

NON REFUNDABLE NON TRANSFERABLE VALID FOR 1 YEAR ON AF KL DL VS KQ ONLY

Informed KL on the discrepancy and EMD reissued with comment:

THIS IS YOUR TRAVEL VOUCHER. VALID 12 MONTHS FOR AF/KL/DL/VS/KQ FARES*
COVID-19

Does not mention anywhere refundable after 12 months.

Any one had a similar experience?

Last edited by LH757; May 5, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Old May 5, 2020, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by eventualpilot
I received an email from Air France on April 16 that my MAN to CDG flight on May 18 was cancelled. Logged into the Air France website that same day (April 16) and requested a refund back to my credit card as the flight was cancelled by the airline. I received an email (also same day after requesting refund) that the sales and service center is experiencing longer than usual wait times.

Since then I have not received any additional information regarding my refund or even an initial email confirming that a refund is in process. Should I reach out via phone?
It can't hurt to reach out by phone but I suspect it is not going to help either.

They are just giving everyone the run around. I had fully refundable tickets. I submitted the refund form online in March. I got the e-mail that said they were too busy. I heard nothing for a while and called around March 25 or so. It took about an hour but the agent finally agreed that the ticket conditions allowed me to refund. A week or so later, I got an e-mail responding to my online request telling me I could have a voucher. I responded that my tickets were fully refundable, this wasn't a cancellation related to COVID, and their own policies make clear I get a refund for refundable tickets. I also noted that a phone agent had already agreed to give me a refund but that they had not issued it yet.

About two weeks ago I got another e-mail responding to my early April email informing me that since AF had not yet cancelled the flight, I was only entitled to a refund of the taxes and I would have to wait to see if AF cancelled the flight. I responded that (a) I had already cancelled the ticket, (b) I had already been promised a refund by the phone agent in March, and (c) that this was not a COVID related situation but that my ticket was a fully flexible refundable ticket.

Nothing.

I am a very small sample size but my experience suggests that there's really no overriding plan here by AF other than to hold on to cash as best they can and to say whatever they need to say to do so and worry about it later.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by lkar
It can't hurt to reach out by phone but I suspect it is not going to help either.

They are just giving everyone the run around. I had fully refundable tickets. I submitted the refund form online in March. I got the e-mail that said they were too busy. I heard nothing for a while and called around March 25 or so. It took about an hour but the agent finally agreed that the ticket conditions allowed me to refund. A week or so later, I got an e-mail responding to my online request telling me I could have a voucher. I responded that my tickets were fully refundable, this wasn't a cancellation related to COVID, and their own policies make clear I get a refund for refundable tickets. I also noted that a phone agent had already agreed to give me a refund but that they had not issued it yet.

About two weeks ago I got another e-mail responding to my early April email informing me that since AF had not yet cancelled the flight, I was only entitled to a refund of the taxes and I would have to wait to see if AF cancelled the flight. I responded that (a) I had already cancelled the ticket, (b) I had already been promised a refund by the phone agent in March, and (c) that this was not a COVID related situation but that my ticket was a fully flexible refundable ticket.

Nothing.

I am a very small sample size but my experience suggests that there's really no overriding plan here by AF other than to hold on to cash as best they can and to say whatever they need to say to do so and worry about it later.
File a DOT complaint, and dispute the charge with your credit card company if you're still able to.
DesperateTraveller likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.