Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 12:01 pm

Not sure if this has been posted up thread but I see this on this Air France website:
https://www.airfrance.ca/CA/en/commo...234.1586313188

You have a ticket issued in the United States for an Air France flight: the above possibilities to postpone your flight apply.
In addition, if your flight was cancelled and you decide not to travel, you can obtain a refund at no cost for your ticket by contacting your point of sale directly.“
Old Apr 10, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by warakorn
Amex France has no email adress?
Nope. Not that I am aware of. Maybe others know?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:14 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
7 days after requesting a travel voucher from KLM via the online form, I finally get a confirmation email.
But the travel voucher will take a while longer...

"Recently, you’ve requested a refund in the form of a travel voucher.
We want to confirm that we received your request.
Because of the high volumes of requests, it can take multiple weeks for us to process your request."

Multiple weeks?! Are they hand processing every voucher request?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by mikem004
7 days after requesting a travel voucher from KLM via the online form, I finally get a confirmation email.
But the travel voucher will take a while longer...

"Recently, you’ve requested a refund in the form of a travel voucher.
We want to confirm that we received your request.
Because of the high volumes of requests, it can take multiple weeks for us to process your request."

Multiple weeks?! Are they hand processing every voucher request?
i think so... i called af yesterday the Nice lady replied i would have it on monday it is in the queue... i said monday is a holiday... she laughed really i forgot since we are creating vouchers every day.....
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
This is all fine and they will probably obey to it. However, they will claim that due to the extreme situation, they cannot stick to the 7 days imposed by the EU regulation - but rather repay in 3,4,5,6, months. In that case, it might be better to take a voucher if this was immediately available and rather flexible to use.
Going after your legal right as per above might take you even longer.

The difference between theory and application...
On top of my and my family's current trips cancellation requests, I was also taking care of some cancellations for a friend of my parents for whom I found 6 months ago a light to portugal on Transavia France (part of AF) and returning on Easyjet. The "no-thrills" fare was quite cheap (118 Euros on TO + 40 Euros on Easyjet for 2 pax). The Transavia flight got cancelled a month ago and I immediately claimed a refund per EC261/2004 rules. After 2 emails back and forth with TO, it was clear that they will not refund, but provide a voucher by the end of May... A month after the request, I still haven't received anything, and their customer service seems inexistant. I am however positively surprised by easyjet though. For their flight, supposed to be happening today, and which was cancelled a couple weeks ago, they replied to my email saying that could obtain a voucher, a rebooking or a refund and that I had to contact them by email to get the refund. For a low cost airline, I was exepcting that it will be a nightmare to contact them and get anything out of it. Now, I don't have anything yet on the account, but at least they seem to be respecting the rules, with a major "classical" airline group (AF/KLM) does not. I would have expected the complete opposite (I personally don't fly "low-cost" airlines, although the definition is blurry those days, hence my surprise)
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:32 am

So now KLM also allows for refunds for flights to China and South Korea, not only US. I wonder why they think they can get away with such a selective policy (no doubts forced on them by respective country authorities).
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by maxvor
So now KLM also allows for refunds for flights to China and South Korea, not only US. I wonder why they think they can get away with such a selective policy (no doubts forced on them by respective country authorities).
This has been the case since the beginning, before there was a global policy next to it.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:18 am

I have a flight out on May 30 with Air France and return on KLM on June 8th. KLM has cancel my flight but Air France has not. So what should I do. Personally I would like the money...Don't have much experience with either.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:57 am

This morning I received cancellation emails for 4 trips in June. I went directly to my CC company and started the chargeback process. They seemed to think it would be no issue getting a full refund. I will report back on the outcome.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
This morning I received cancellation emails for 4 trips in June. I went directly to my CC company and started the chargeback process. They seemed to think it would be no issue getting a full refund. I will report back on the outcome.
Which country was the point of sale and in which country is the credit card issued ?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr
Which country was the point of sale and in which country is the credit card issued ?

Flights were YUL - GLA Tickets purchased in Canada with a Canadian World Mastercard Elite card.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From Air France? Did you purchase direct from AF?
My flights are 6/6-16/6, purchased thru AMEX (US) IAP. Out of SFO. All flights/routes suspended.
Received no emails. AF app has notification of free changes, but the link fails.
On AF's flight status page they seem to only officially cancel fights at one week before departure.
Does anyone know if AMEX IAP is taking claims under these circumstances (route suspended and notification of change-ability, but no notification of flight cancellation)?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
From Air France? Did you purchase direct from AF?
My flights are 6/6-16/6, purchased thru AMEX (US) IAP. Out of SFO. All flights/routes suspended.
Received no emails. AF app has notification of free changes, but the link fails.
On AF's flight status page they seem to only officially cancel fights at one week before departure.
Does anyone know if AMEX IAP is taking claims under these circumstances (route suspended and notification of change-ability, but no notification of flight cancellation)?

KLM purchased directly through their website. Dates are June 8th and June 2th. If your flights are out of hte US you are entitled to a full refund based on the DOT ruling. You just need to wait for your cancellation. This is on the website.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
This has been the case since the beginning, before there was a global policy next to it.
I must have missed that then, when global policy was originally introduced I haven't noticed any country-based exceptions. But now we effectively have 3 countries with special provisions, and I suspect, based on what you say, only US is due to government authorities putting pressure. Talking about consistency...
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM purchased directly through their website. Dates are June 8th and June 2th. If your flights are out of hte US you are entitled to a full refund based on the DOT ruling. You just need to wait for your cancellation. This is on the website.
Ah... KL.
Yep, I'm planning to wait until the flight's are cancelled to contact AMEX. Though I'm still wondering whether AF is sending emails.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.