Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Benjh
Considering the situation, do you think AF will loosen the rules regarding use of the vouchers?
As an exemple, now you can't use a voucher to pay for taxes on a reward flight. Seeing how this should be cash and it's not, it would be fair of them to allow it.
Same thing regarding number of vouchers usable on the same reservation (2 max on the website right now).
I think the rule is maximum 3 vouchers per booking and max 2 vouchers per person (so you can use 2 vouchers for one booking for one person, or 3 vouchers in other situations).
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by ranskis
I think the rule is maximum 3 vouchers per booking and max 2 vouchers per person (so you can use 2 vouchers for one booking for one person, or 3 vouchers in other situations).
Yeah so that's exactly what I'm talking about. AF should remove such and all restrictions for "refunds" that are parts of the covid situation. Wouldn't you agree?
Wil973 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your flight is to or from the US, remember that US DOT rules require a prompt refund when the carrier cancels or significantly delays a flight. DOT issued a Warning Letter to carriers earlier today noting that in light of the Covid-19 crisis, it will forgo enforcement action if a carrier which wrongfully denied a refund and issued a voucher in its stead, promptly issues a refund.

Don't hesitate to file a DOT Complaint along with a chargeback.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: FB Plat
I ran across this article yesterday on the issue. Basically the European Commissioner is saying that forcing vouchers isn't legit. That said, there's no mention of any enforcement or action...
Franky16 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NumbThumb
I ran across this article yesterday on the issue. Basically the European Commissioner is saying that forcing vouchers isn't legit. That said, there's no mention of any enforcement or action...
Already posted to this thread yesterday (#167).
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by palmanfr
I guess the only remaining course of action is the Civil aviation authority of any of the countries my booking was part of (Germany, Netherlands and France). But I guess they will also be overwhelmed by the requests..
The Dutch authority was instructed by their minister not to enforce the regulation in terms of refunds and accept vouchers as a suitable form of refund. Save yourself time and go the legal route right away.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The Dutch enforcement body never took action on individual disputes any way.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Had the same experience: I asked for a refund via the online request, stating that the Airline cancelled the flight.
The response came back via email saying that they can only offer a non-refundable voucher (which is incorrect, as in that case they would offer at least a refundable voucher).

I wrote back stating that I have the right for full refund if the airline cancels. Let's see what they come back with.
They wrote back: sorry, but we can offer only a voucher that will be refundable after 1 year (at least that).
If you want a refund, the ticket will be refunded according to the ticket conditions.
Which option do you prefer ?

This is worse than any second hand car dealer !!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:29 pm

HELP! KLM only offering Vouchers instead of Refund - any advise?

Has anyone had any success getting a refund from KLM. My flights were booked directly with KLM in August 2019.
KLM flights were: outbound Amsterdam to Cape Town (KL 597) on May 14 then homebound on May 24th Cape Town to Amsterdam to LAX (KL 598 CPT to AMS) and (KL 603 from AMS to LAX).

I live in the US and US airlines are giving refunds for cancelled flights. However, KLM is only offering vouchers not refunds. But I read this on a EU sight: COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION Commission Notice Interpretative Guidelines on EU passenger rights regulations in the context of the developing situation with Covid-19:

3.2. Right to reimbursement or re-routing

In the case of a flight cancellation by the airlines (no matter what the cause is), Article 5 obliges the operating air carrier to offer the passengers the choice among:

a) reimbursement (refund);

b) re-routing at the earliest opportunity, or

c) re-routing at a later date at the passenger's convenience.

Regarding reimbursement, in cases where the passenger books the outbound flight and the return flight separately and the outbound flight is cancelled, the passenger is only entitled to reimbursement of the cancelled flight, i.e. here the outbound flight.

However, if the outbound flight and the return flight are part of the same booking, even if operated by different air carriers, passengers should be offered two options if the outbound flight is cancelled: to be reimbursed for the whole ticket (i.e. both flights) or to be re-routed on another flight for the outbound flight (Interpretative Guidelines, Point 4.2).

SEE: COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION Commission Notice Interpretative Guidelines on EU passenger rights regulations in the context of the developing situation with Covid-19
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
There is a lot of information in this thread. is been made a little more confusing because others have been folded in as well. That said its not too much.. Id encourage you to read through the posts for a full picture.

There are a few clubby type posts but as you read it will be evident to you as it is to others.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by DesperateTraveller
Has anyone had any success getting a refund from KLM. My flights were booked directly with KLM in August 2019.
KLM flights were: outbound Amsterdam to Cape Town (KL 597) on May 14 then homebound on May 24th Cape Town to Amsterdam to LAX (KL 598 CPT to AMS) and (KL 603 from AMS to LAX).

I live in the US and US airlines are giving refunds for cancelled flights. However, KLM is only offering vouchers not refunds. But I read this on a EU sight: COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION Commission Notice Interpretative Guidelines on EU passenger rights regulations in the context of the developing situation with Covid-19:

3.2. Right to reimbursement or re-routing

In the case of a flight cancellation by the airlines (no matter what the cause is), Article 5 obliges the operating air carrier to offer the passengers the choice among:

a) reimbursement (refund);

b) re-routing at the earliest opportunity, or

c) re-routing at a later date at the passenger's convenience.

Regarding reimbursement, in cases where the passenger books the outbound flight and the return flight separately and the outbound flight is cancelled, the passenger is only entitled to reimbursement of the cancelled flight, i.e. here the outbound flight.

However, if the outbound flight and the return flight are part of the same booking, even if operated by different air carriers, passengers should be offered two options if the outbound flight is cancelled: to be reimbursed for the whole ticket (i.e. both flights) or to be re-routed on another flight for the outbound flight (Interpretative Guidelines, Point 4.2).

SEE: COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION Commission Notice Interpretative Guidelines on EU passenger rights regulations in the context of the developing situation with Covid-19
Apparently, your flights have not been cancelled yet, so it might be too early to ask for refund.

I might be shot down by some posters here, but my summary reading is that in case of cancellation:
1) The legal situation is crystal clear and you are owed a refund within 7 days according to EC261.
2) Some EU airlines do not abide with that rule, sometimes with the implicit support of their national government.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:39 pm

THANK YOU - I will keep checking back on KLM's website. My understanding was no flights were flying in or out of Cape Town. Perhaps KLM is hoping that restriction is lifted. BTW - can you explain
1) The legal situation is crystal clear and you are owed a refund within 7 days according to EC261
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by DesperateTraveller
THANK YOU - I will keep checking back on KLM's website. My understanding was no flights were flying in or out of Cape Town. Perhaps KLM is hoping that restriction is lifted. BTW - can you explain
1) The legal situation is crystal clear and you are owed a refund within 7 days according to EC261
As mentioned in another post. Why don't you invest some time in reading this thread and related threads.

Until your flight is officially cancelled, it is not cancelled, whatever we can reasonably expect in six weeks time.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
As a datapoint, KLM said this:

"You are only able to request for a voucher is your first flight departs before 31 May. You'll be refunded in cash because your original flight on 1 July with Flybe is cancelled."

This is pertaining to a refund for a cancelled flight where the return segment was scheduled on the now defunct Flybe, having been ticketed on KLM.

Incidentally? Does anyone know if you can spend KLM EMD's on Transavia, or AirFrance?

Last edited by ahopkins767; Apr 5, 2020 at 4:05 am
Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ahopkins767
Does anyone know if you can spend KLM EMD's on Transavia, or AirFrance?
AF, KL, DL and VS. I do not find any mention of Transavia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.