Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC MM
I have sent a message via Messenger to cancel flights in 10 days and get vouchers 3 days ago but no response.
Also tried to call their number but call drops after one ring.

Now I am considering to just cancel online and take the $ 350 cancellation fee hit.
Has anyone had any success yesterday or today to get their tickets cancelled and vouchers issued?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I have sent a message via Messenger to cancel flights in 10 days and get vouchers 3 days ago but no response.

Now I am considering to just cancel online and take the $ 350 cancellation fee hit.
Has anyone had any success yesterday or today to get their tickets cancelled and vouchers issued?
Yes, I called platinum line today and got an answer quite quickly. Flights cancelled as requested (to Budapest) and voucher is to be provided. Don’t have the email yet but I expect to receive soon (perhaps).
yvrcnx likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Billyfergus
Yes, I called platinum line today and got an answer quite quickly. Flights cancelled as requested (to Budapest) and voucher is to be provided. Don’t have the email yet but I expect to receive soon (perhaps).
Thank you Billyfergus. The Platinum line is probably much better. I don't have access to them and will keep trying the regular line we have access to hear in North America.

Thanks agian.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:32 pm

We ended up cancelling my in laws flight from BOM to AMS then onward to the states due to the new US immigration directive. I am hoping they don't actually charge us the cancellation fee but I will let you know what the result is.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx

I imagine they’re swamped at the moment.
When I changed my ticket last week (using the Corona waiver), they replied in about a day.

Did you try WhatsApp?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
I imagine they’re swamped at the moment.
When I changed my ticket last week (using the Corona waiver), they replied in about a day.

Did you try WhatsApp?
That what I am assuming as well, especially now with most US flights being cancelled for the next 30 days.
I don't mind if it takes a few days as long as it is resolved before our planned departure date which is March 23rd.
I have not tried WhatsApp yet, only Messenger. Do you think WhatsApp would be responded to faster? If so I'll definitely give it a try as well.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:42 am

If I choose to get a voucher with 1 year validity what it exatly means? I should to redeem it in 1 year time frame , or I have to travel whitin 1 year after issued date .For instance if the voucher expires at 01.04. 2021 can I redeem it for a flight scheduled after 01.04.2021?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:45 am

Programs: FB Gold, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Paul74
If I choose to get a voucher with 1 year validity what it exatly means? I should to redeem it in 1 year time frame , or I have to travel whitin 1 year after issued date .For instance if the voucher expires at 01.04. 2021 can I redeem it in this 1 year for flight scheduled after 01.04.2021?
When I cancelled a short haul flight for a voucher I was told it is valid for one calender year, as in for a flight within that time limit. I don't think it can be used for a flight after it has expired, even if booked before that date.
Happy to be corrected if anyone knows differently
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:53 am

Thanks, and return flight also have to be within one year time limit after voucher issued date ?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Paul74
Thanks, and return fligth also have to be whitin one year time limit ?
Good question, that I don't know so wouldn't want to mis-advise. Your best bet is to speak direct to the airline to clarify and maybe post on here afterwards so others may benefit?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:58 am

I will try in next days , they are extremely busy right now.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Reload
When I cancelled a short haul flight for a voucher I was told it is valid for one calender year, as in for a flight within that time limit. I don't think it can be used for a flight after it has expired, even if booked before that date.
Happy to be corrected if anyone knows differently
my friend used a voucher 28feb expiried 3rd march2020 ..we booked a flight in november 2020
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:25 am
Suspended

I have a few tickets on 057 stock (AF/KL op. flights) which I would like to cancel for a voucher.

Is it possible to do this online or will I have to call in?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Stuttgart21
I have a few tickets on 057 stock (AF/KL op. flights) which I would like to cancel for a voucher.

Is it possible to do this online or will I have to call in?
Should be possible either way but anecdotal experience thus far from others (including myself) suggests that calling is easier and quicker. YMMV
Stuttgart21 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Reload
Should be possible either way but anecdotal experience thus far from others (including myself) suggests that calling is easier and quicker. YMMV
Just rang the Platinum line - for the first time ever - and after a long rigmarole recording about Coronavirus, they then tell me that they are experiencing an exceptional number of calls, and to go online! They then hung up.

I can't change my FB reservation online though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.