Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Coder33
Wiki for Mileage/XP Runs
Indicate below your itinerary, availability dates, price and XP. Please only log runs with confirmed fares availability. Feel free to tag yourself if you want to meet fellow FTers.
Eg:
MXP-CDG-AMS-KRK-AMS-CDG-MXP in J, 2021-01-01/02, 570 €, 180 XP
HEL-AMS-LAX-AMS-HEL in J, 2022-08-16/18, 1059 €, 204 XP (@XXXFlyer arriving at 11:50 AM, leaving at 06:00 AM)

Upcoming runs:
MXP-CDG-AMS-KRK in J on 2022/07/21-22, 380€ - 45XP (8,44€/XP) : one way

Past runs:
For future reference, log below your most interesting XP runs:

KRK-AMS-CDG-BCN-AMS-CDG-KRK, 2021-07-22/24, 576 €, 180 XP
ATH-CDG-AMS-KRK-AMS-CDG-ATH in J, 2021-09-18/19, 561€
KRK-AMS-CDG-LIS-CDG-AMS-KRK, 2021-07-22/28, 492 € 180 XP
NTE-CDG-AMS-LIS-CDG-LYS-NTE, 2021-09-25/26, 157 €/42XP
Print Wikipost

Mileage runs for Flying Blue - best routes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Plat
well, I have been doing segments a few years but the additional time it takes was not sustainable for me. However, if you don't mind spending the addional time, it is indeed a cheaper way in case you select the right fares.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
A few comments:

- how did you calculate that mileage total? It looks incredibly high
I took the min miles per european segment (750) , multiplied that by 2.5(intra european business class) and multiplied that by 6 (nr of segments).
- for the number of award miles listed, you could just buy them direct from FB for about a third of that price
- the level miles you would earn on this trip would still leave you a long ways off earning even Silver. Better to focus on qualifying by segments, rather than by level miles. The 6 segments of this trip actually probably are more valuable than the level miles earned!
- People who qualify on level miles usually do so because of LONGHAUL (better still: Business) flying. Otherwise, your segment count gets you to the threshold long, long before your level miles balance does
If you are just 10k miles short this might be a better alternative then long haul in an expensive (semi-)flexible Economy fare bucket .
- that price looks very high!
I don't think this is too bad to get 10k qualifying miles. If you want to go for segments it might be better to book a similar itinerary on cheap Y: you can get 6 segments for €250 in that case.

Last edited by t0t1t2; Mar 22, 2015 at 9:42 am
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by t0t1t2
I took the min miles per european segment (750) , multiplied that by 2.5(intra european business class) and multiplied that by 6 (nr of segments).

If you are just 10k miles short this might be a better alternative then long haul in an expensive (semi-)flexible Economy fare bucket .
Yes, I make it as 10k miles, not 11250. The two domestic sectors have a maximum of only 500 miles.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
More comfortable in J!
Not when that J is actually EBC!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Not when that J is actually EBC!
It's still better than European economy class

Perhaps not by much
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually, I do find segment running more time consuming and tiring than possibly getting the status through miles. On one of my major country pairs (Switzerland-Germany) I really do need to take nonstop flights to save time. Fiddling around through AMS or CDG is something I would rather avoid, unless I'm flying further afield, such as some of the many UK airports that KLM serves (let's face it, KLM serves more British airports than British Airways these days). If I can work the segments out to suit the trip I am on, then fine, but it is often a lot more work.

There must be some good mileage earners out there, perhaps on other Skyteam carriers. Is there really nothing on Delta within the US? Other carriers, such as US Airways, seemed to have interesting premium fares quite often.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
such as some of the many UK airports that KLM serves (let's face it, KLM serves more British airports than British Airways these days).
British Airways serves more Dutch airports than KLM Royal Dutch does
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Actually, I do find segment running more time consuming and tiring than possibly getting the status through miles. On one of my major country pairs (Switzerland-Germany) I really do need to take nonstop flights to save time. Fiddling around through AMS or CDG is something I would rather avoid, unless I'm flying further afield, such as some of the many UK airports that KLM serves (let's face it, KLM serves more British airports than British Airways these days). If I can work the segments out to suit the trip I am on, then fine, but it is often a lot more work.
For my current city pair (BRU-FRA), the KLM journey through AMS was ok, except for the 50 minute connection in the morning. You just need a slight bit of Polderbaan or such, and you spend 3 hours at AMS. As a result, right now I do the direct LH trip.

On my last trip through AMS, my flight from BRU was slightly late. Got on the bus at 9:25 for a connecting flight at 09:50. Cutoff time of 09:35 (bus again), KLM had already rebooked me. Ran through the airport and made it to the gate at 09:34 .... they happily put me back on the flight, in my original seat and commented "Wow, you made it here fast!" ... so yes, LH right now

GenevaFlyer

PS = And yes, I could give myself a longer connection without arrival at FRA later ... but that means taking a 5:55 flight .....
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by Calchas
I am staggered that anyone would spend 6000 EUR just to obtain FB Plat status
Not just, you fly also...status is the bonus
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,

EDIT- You can also type in MAD-PAR, PAR-XMN, XMN-HKG and HKG-MAD to get it to work, no need to add the AMS sector separately, because the flight to XMN is by KL and therefore you have to pass through AMS anyway.
how did you get the HKG-MAD part to route correct back through XMN again? or is that not needed? I only get HKG direct to AMS all the time and then to Madrid and giving a high price.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't, it would have repriced as a much more expensive fare if I had. The important thing was to somehow get the system to think that XMN was the destination even though I just transited it on my outbound. Passing back through XMN would have made HKG appear as the 'destination', the furthest away point on the ticket.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops. Never mind!

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 14, 2015 at 3:11 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't, it would have repriced as a much more expensive fare if I had. The important thing was to somehow get the system to think that XMN was the destination even though I just transited it on my outbound. Passing back through XMN would have made HKG appear as the 'destination', the furthest away point on the ticket.
This is a trick that ITA/QPX will automatically spot, but I guess many lesser pricing platforms don't realize.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope I didn't do anything illegal, but I don't think so because this special price was coming up on a number of platforms for a considerable period of time. Plus, it was widely advertised.

BTW, I read on a German blog that business class fares on AF (KL too?) have been greatly reduced, meaning you could do a 4 segment trip and earn a lot of useful miles towards status requalification. Fares were clocking somewhere in the EUR400-550 range, which is a lot less than it used to be.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope I didn't do anything illegal, but I don't think so because this special price was coming up on a number of platforms for a considerable period of time. Plus, it was widely advertised.
I booked a similar OTP-HKG trip using HGH instead of XMN but the principle is the same (HGH gave better timing for immediate connection to HKG). The fare rules only have no minimum stay requirement in the PRC as such. The minimum stay is calculated by reference to the "last international stopover" and allowed stopovers enroute as well as routing via HKG, so no issue at all with the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.