Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by emviflyer
Sorry for perhaps asking the obvious, but what were the insurance downgrades? I like to check that with the Nl version.

Due to the pandemic, I got difficulties to travel home and AXA has written to me that now after 120d I will no longer be insured for car rental, luggage, flights etc. I will only be insured for emergencies.
I now have a VISA Infinite card from France and they have confirmed to me that I will be insured by their schedule. VISA uses AXA as well.
basically effective April 1st, in order to qualify for travel insurance one must now travel on AF/KL. Doesn’t work if you travel on any other carrier, which is extremely limiting.
It has apparently caused quite a problem with many people dropping the card, per my conversation with a knowledgeable agent (seemed to be), he said just the same day I called he had three other cancellations/downgrades and that the strategy department was reviewing the decision….
blairvanhorn and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
basically effective April 1st, in order to qualify for travel insurance one must now travel on AF/KL. Doesn’t work if you travel on any other carrier, which is extremely limiting.
It has apparently caused quite a problem with many people dropping the card, per my conversation with a knowledgeable agent (seemed to be), he said just the same day I called he had three other cancellations/downgrades and that the strategy department was reviewing the decision….
It's great that people have been canceling their cards en masse and that the strategy department is reviewing their decision. I was just a few days from pulling the plug myself (just received my anniversary XP) but I might wait a few more weeks to see if they change their minds.

The decision itself is mind-numbingly stupid. Want to go on a train trip to Geneva or Brussels? No insurance. Want to fly to an airport with no AF/KL codeshare flights? No insurance. Just bonkers!
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
It's great that people have been canceling their cards en masse and that the strategy department is reviewing their decision. I was just a few days from pulling the plug myself (just received my anniversary XP) but I might wait a few more weeks to see if they change their minds.

The decision itself is mind-numbingly stupid. Want to go on a train trip to Geneva or Brussels? No insurance. Want to fly to an airport with no AF/KL codeshare flights? No insurance. Just bonkers!
agreed.
they have an uncanny ability to piss customers off. After 5+ years of paying €600 for a Platinum AFKLM card I downgraded, paid €185 and was told no XPs will be given to me this year. Ridiculous.
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:10 am

AXA's latest "enhancement"....

On my latest trip CDG-LIN my bag did not arrive.

When I tried to file a claim with Axa there is a new requirement... (at least new since the last one I made last year...)

One now has to FIRST file a claim with the airline, await the response and then contact Axa.

Axa... always finding new ways to pay less and to delay the process... They are really terrible.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
AXA's latest "enhancement"....

On my latest trip CDG-LIN my bag did not arrive.

When I tried to file a claim with Axa there is a new requirement... (at least new since the last one I made last year...)

One now has to FIRST file a claim with the airline, await the response and then contact Axa.

Axa... always finding new ways to pay less and to delay the process... They are really terrible.
Experienced this last year too, but actually I don't find it a bad move in principle. After all the airline causes the problem and they also have a claim process. In my case KLM paid out eur400 (no questions asked except for the usual submitting receipts) and then AXA paid the rest. So apart from having 2 claim processes it's not all bad news.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by sbams
Experienced this last year too, but actually I don't find it a bad move in principle. After all the airline causes the problem and they also have a claim process. In my case KLM paid out eur400 (no questions asked except for the usual submitting receipts) and then AXA paid the rest. So apart from having 2 claim processes it's not all bad news.
No, you are correct. However, it delays reimbursement, particularly during Covid times when the processing time is longer.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, IB, Miles and More, Delta
Maybe at this point, we should simply consider we don't have any insurance with AF-KLM Amex cards and rather consider VISA or Mastercard credit card insurance.
The amount of small lines in their contract is ridiculous. Too many headaches for the return on investment.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 6:15 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
I was just checking the amex website (NL version) and I could not find any mention of being insured only on AF/KL flights. Would you have any reference to this? If this is the case, it's clear we will quickly stop with the FB amex platinum.
PROACTIVE likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by yno
I was just checking the amex website (NL version) and I could not find any mention of being insured only on AF/KL flights. Would you have any reference to this? If this is the case, it's clear we will quickly stop with the FB amex platinum.
I don't see it on the initial page on americanexpress.com/nl and my Dutch isn't good enough to read this document https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...tinum-card.pdf

It is however on the initial page of the French AFKL Platinum card and in the terms and conditions ---->
Attached Images  
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 8:32 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
I don't see it on the initial page on americanexpress.com/nl and my Dutch isn't good enough to read this document https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...tinum-card.pdf

It is however on the initial page of the French AFKL Platinum card and in the terms and conditions ---->
Could this be a French thing? Can't find this limitation on the dutch website, including in the detailed conditions.
Also it seems that the travel insurance part is covered by Inter Partner Assistance SA (but googling further shows it's owned by AXA...)
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by yno
Could this be a French thing? Can't find this limitation on the dutch website, including in the detailed conditions.
Also it seems that the travel insurance part is covered by Inter Partner Assistance SA (but googling further shows it's owned by AXA...)
It is entirely possible it is just a French thing. Have you tried calling them?

As I posted above, many people have canceled their cards and their strategy team is aware of people's displeasure with these "enhancements".
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Masterfrog
Maybe at this point, we should simply consider we don't have any insurance with AF-KLM Amex cards and rather consider VISA or Mastercard credit card insurance.
The amount of small lines in their contract is ridiculous. Too many headaches for the return on investment.
Why not simply buy a real yearly travel insurance , where you can compare all offers and select based on whatever is more suitable ?

Because these insurances are a "side-bonus" of the cards, but probably not the best products you can find on the market and not for a good price
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
By the way, I'm still into the identity verfication process with the Dutch card. The process took 5 months starting at the beginning of the year for my main card, then they started the same process for my wife, who has the second card (in NL people don't seem to understand that women can get married and stay with their mother's name...). Anybody with similar issues? Frustration level is a bit on the high side...
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
About validation: Because of the type of questions (salary???, Bankaccount number ???) we have chosen for a personal visit by a rep. This visit lasted 2 minutes. No problem.

About insurance: I have called the Netherlands FB-AMEX and they say that there is no requirement to fly a specific airline for insurance purposes. However, if due to COVID you are unable to return, AMEX cancels the insurance after 120d of travel. Unless you make a special arrangement.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by fifty_two
Why not simply buy a real yearly travel insurance , where you can compare all offers and select based on whatever is more suitable ?

Because these insurances are a "side-bonus" of the cards, but probably not the best products you can find on the market and not for a good price

I have gotten a VISA Infinite card from a French bank that offers travel insurance, half price of AMEX, but no miles of course. Interestingly also via AXA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.