Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 9, 18, 9:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gajan
Wiki Link
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 22, 20, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I finally received an email this morning confirming that I have benefited from the offer and I have received a 1st credit of 50 EUR. But this was for my 1st purchase. Now I am waiting for a 100 EUR credit for my 2nd purchase
maalloc likes this.
Old Dec 25, 20, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Here we go with more Amex/Axa nonsense...

https://www.americanexpress.com/fr/a...rtes-amex.html
Old Dec 26, 20, 12:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
Here we go with more Amex/Axa nonsense...

https://www.americanexpress.com/fr/a...rtes-amex.html
It seems to apply only to Amex card and not AF/KL Amex card. But I guess it will be aligned in the near future though.

Good thing is to cover eletronic devices however but it is bad to have 150 of deductible (not sure of the word)
Old Dec 26, 20, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I finally received an email this morning confirming that I have benefited from the offer and I have received a 1st credit of 50 EUR. But this was for my 1st purchase. Now I am waiting for a 100 EUR credit for my 2nd purchase
I received the 2nd credit as well (without prior email). So everything's fine. Those offers are really great
maalloc likes this.
Old Dec 27, 20, 11:51 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by canadavid View Post
It seems to apply only to Amex card and not AF/KL Amex card. But I guess it will be aligned in the near future though.
Well if it applies to the AFKL Amex at some point, that will be en excellent reason not to use them for car rental and medical insurance...
Old Dec 27, 20, 12:02 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by lynxy View Post
Well if it applies to the AFKL Amex at some point, that will be en excellent reason not to use them for car rental and medical insurance...
What is this about? The link is in French and back in the days I didn't like to learn that in highschool.
Old Dec 27, 20, 12:29 pm

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by westi2002 View Post
What is this about? The link is in French and back in the days I didn't like to learn that in highschool.
As an example, for the regular Amex Plat card (but from a quick glance it seems similar for Gold and Centurion):
- 150€ deductible for rental car damage [instead of NO deductible]
- 150€ minimum deductible (10% of the sum, up to 500€) for travel incidents [instead of a 75€ minimum]
- 150€ minimum deductible (10% of the sum, up to 500€) for medical expenses/assistance [instead of a flat 75€ deductible]

For the "good" changes, they now also insure the theft of electronic devices 90 days after purchase (previously only non electronic devices were covered). I'm not sure if anyone ever uses this insurance, but....
blairvanhorn, Thysk and westi2002 like this.
Old Jan 4, 21, 7:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by lynxy View Post
As an example, for the regular Amex Plat card (but from a quick glance it seems similar for Gold and Centurion):
- 150€ deductible for rental car damage [instead of NO deductible]
- 150€ minimum deductible (10% of the sum, up to 500€) for travel incidents [instead of a 75€ minimum]
- 150€ minimum deductible (10% of the sum, up to 500€) for medical expenses/assistance [instead of a flat 75€ deductible]

For the "good" changes, they now also insure the theft of electronic devices 90 days after purchase (previously only non electronic devices were covered). I'm not sure if anyone ever uses this insurance, but....
It has been extended to AF/KL amex as well from April 1st 2021

One huge difference is now that all travel insurance MUST include a AF/KL/TO ticket to apply. This is almost a killer condition to the benefit of the card because if you happen to make 20% of your flights outside of AF/KL (some direct routes are only on easyjet or ryanair for instance during getaways), then you should have another card to be able to have an equivalent coverage.
I guess that now, the only advantage in this card is the plat for two and 30/60xp if you happen to need it on some years.

Garantie Annulation et Report de Voyages(3)(4) et Garantie Interruption de Dplacement(3)(4) et Assistance Mdicale et Frais Mdicaux l'tranger(3)(4)
A partir du 1er avril 2021, pour pouvoir bnficier de ces Garanties, votre billet d'avion devra tre opr et/ou mis par Air France, KLM ou Transavia et intgralement rgl avec votre Carte AIR FRANCE KLM - AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM ou avec vos Miles dans le cadre du programme de fidlit Flying Blue. Les franchises de ces Garanties restent inchanges.
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:00 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, ALL Silver
Just called AMEX NL to "cancel" my FB Plat card to get a discount on the annual fee. I was asked what kind of discount I would like, so when I mentioned 300 EUR the agent said they'd have to check with their manager and get back to me.
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:26 am

Programs: AFKL: Platinum, SAS: Diamond
Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Just called AMEX NL to "cancel" my FB Plat card to get a discount on the annual fee. I was asked what kind of discount I would like, so when I mentioned 300 EUR the agent said they'd have to check with their manager and get back to me.
I have also gotten the need to check with manager response for my FB Plat card.

Apparently the manager was on holiday over Christmas and New Years, so the agent apologized and said that it could be a number of days before she would have any news to share.
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:51 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA EXP, A3*G, UA *G, LH FTL, CCarlson Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by canadavid View Post
It has been extended to AF/KL amex as well from April 1st 2021

One huge difference is now that all travel insurance MUST include a AF/KL/TO ticket to apply. This is almost a killer condition to the benefit of the card because if you happen to make 20% of your flights outside of AF/KL (some direct routes are only on easyjet or ryanair for instance during getaways), then you should have another card to be able to have an equivalent coverage.
I guess that now, the only advantage in this card is the plat for two and 30/60xp if you happen to need it on some years.
That is nonsensical, really, unless they want to lose customers: at this point, a FR bank-issued Visa Premier would have better coverage. Weird.
bostontraveler and Masterfrog like this.
Old Jan 4, 21, 9:36 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Oxymore View Post
That is nonsensical, really, unless they want to lose customers: at this point, a FR bank-issued Visa Premier would have better coverage. Weird.
this has to be the most idiotic move ever- and for me as a consumer the final straw. If only AFKL/TO tickets are covered it is a severe devaluation. There are plenty of destinations not served by the group, not to speak of travel not originating or terminating in France.

Is this also the case on the classic Amex cards as well?
Old Jan 4, 21, 10:00 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA EXP, A3*G, UA *G, LH FTL, CCarlson Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
this has to be the most idiotic move ever- and for me as a consumer the final straw. If only AFKL/TO tickets are covered it is a severe devaluation. There are plenty of destinations not served by the group, not to speak of travel not originating or terminating in France.

Is this also the case on the classic Amex cards as well?
The only way around it seems to be AF/KL issued tickets (so you could get a DL or maybe even JL ticket issued by AF/KL), but you may not have access to the cheapest fares, will have to pay a phone booking fee, and in any case, you wouldn't be able to book low-cost carriers like U2. Are they not concerned about retaining their premium card customers during a pandemic?
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Jan 4, 21, 10:15 am

The only way around it seems to be AF/KL issued tickets (so you could get a DL or maybe even JL ticket issued by AF/KL), but you may not have access to the cheapest fares, will have to pay a phone booking fee, and in any case, you wouldn't be able to book low-cost carriers like U2. Are they not concerned about retaining their premium card customers during a pandemic?
Its a really stupid move on their part and one which a lot of business travelers are not going to be happy with. There are destinations that are not served, there are also intermediate trips that cannot be booked on AF/KL.

instead of trying to retain customers Amex seems to do everything in its power to devalue its product. Not that it will make much of a difference but I want to write but oh, they dont have any email address nor social media presence... in 2021. Big thumbs down. 👎

May be time to look at standalone policies.
Masterfrog likes this.
Old Jan 4, 21, 10:15 am

Its a really stupid move on their part and one which a lot of business travelers are not going to be happy with. There are destinations that are not served, there are also intermediate trips that cannot be booked on AF/KL.

instead of trying to retain customers Amex seems to do everything in its power to devalue its product. Not that it will make much of a difference but I want to write but oh, they dont have any email address nor social media presence... in 2021. Big thumbs down. 👎

May be time to look at standalone policies.

Search this Thread