Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 9, 18, 9:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Gajan
Wiki Link
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 4, 21, 10:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by Oxymore View Post
The only way around it seems to be AF/KL issued tickets (so you could get a DL or maybe even JL ticket issued by AF/KL), but you may not have access to the cheapest fares, will have to pay a phone booking fee, and in any case, you wouldn't be able to book low-cost carriers like U2. Are they not concerned about retaining their premium card customers during a pandemic?
Obviously not !
Old Jan 4, 21, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This is truly incredible. How to shoot yourself in the foot...
I have the Amex FB gold since 1999. I have never received a free year membership. With that change, I will seriously consider to not renew it.
Old Jan 4, 21, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
FYI I just checked and there is no mention of this nonsense AF/KL/TO restriction on the regular Amex cards.
Old Jan 4, 21, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
FYI I just checked and there is no mention of this nonsense AF/KL/TO restriction on the regular Amex cards.
But that's expected and logical, isn't it ?
Old Jan 4, 21, 1:46 pm

Get a cheap non-cobranded AMEX card for your purchases and miles, and use a high-end Visa/MasterCard for insurances. That's what I have since years and it's the perfect combo. Even better if your Visa/MasterCard don't have FX fees, because AMEX still have 2,8% FX fee... for a travel card... in 2021...

The non-cobranded AMEX card allows you to transfer miles to Flying Blue at 5:4, and is also much more flexible because they allow transfer at the same rate to programs with way cheaper award ticket than Flying Blue (Asia Miles, Krisflyer...). Also, very useful these days, you can convert your MR points in cash, and for Christmas, they had a 1000 points=7€ deal which is quite good.

I don't see any point having a Flying Blue AMEX card. Miles are not as valuable as MR points (especially these days), and the XP bonus/miles extension won't be useful for the next months or even years with Flying Blue corona-policy.

In France, if you have a bank account with Fortuneo, the Green or Gold AMEX card is even free if you spend at least respectively 5000€ or 12000€ a year. Without Fortuneo, the cheapest AMEX card is only 5€ a month, a fee easily waived when calling the customer support.
Pandor likes this.
Old Jan 4, 21, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by IstKong View Post
Get a cheap non-cobranded AMEX card for your purchases and miles, and use a high-end Visa/MasterCard for insurances. That's what I have since years and it's the perfect combo. Even better if your Visa/MasterCard don't have FX fees, because AMEX still have 2,8% FX fee... for a travel card... in 2021...

The non-cobranded AMEX card allows you to transfer miles to Flying Blue at 5:4, and is also much more flexible because they allow transfer at the same rate to programs with way cheaper award ticket than Flying Blue (Asia Miles, Krisflyer...). Also, very useful these days, you can convert your MR points in cash, and for Christmas, they had a 1000 points=7€ deal which is quite good.

I don't see any point having a Flying Blue AMEX card. Miles are not as valuable as MR points (especially these days), and the XP bonus/miles extension won't be useful for the next months or even years with Flying Blue corona-policy.

In France, if you have a bank account with Fortuneo, the Green or Gold AMEX card is even free if you spend at least respectively 5000€ or 12000€ a year. Without Fortuneo, the cheapest AMEX card is only 5€ a month, a fee easily waived when calling the customer support.
But why have a (cheap) AMEX at all?
For me the AF/KL one is extremely useful, both with the extra XP in some years, and the 3 instalments for AF/KL tickets, the extra miles covers the card fee, otherwise it have no benefits over any normal credit card you can get in NL, if it wasn't for these 2 reasons I probably would have never gotten an AMEX.
Old Jan 4, 21, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Also, do not forget the nice regular offers we get regularly (like XXX EUR cash back for YYY EUR spent at AFKL, etc)
Old Jan 4, 21, 3:45 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, ALL Platinum
Really shocking from Amex !

Don't know if the very few remaining benefits would justify the annual fee:
  • Miles earning and 3 instalments for AF/KLM tickets: OK... but if you spend a lot with the card. For instance Amex is still not accepted everywhere in France. Also, the majority who travel for business usually do not pay straight for the tickets (depending on the size of their companies, it is usually done through travel agencies).
  • XP bonus : interesting for silver and gold FB Amex card, with respectively 4,33 and 5,5 Eur/Xp. (worth a XP run without having to fly just for the XP , and saving you the hotel night).
  • Some random offers, but as they are random, you never know. I recently saved some Eur on the last AF deal but it was the only one I took advantage of for 2020, the other ones promote too much consumption (I suppose offers may differ whether you have silver/gold/plat FB Amex).

Never saw a company being so careless after its customers.
I am pretty sure a lot of people will cancel their cards and we will see again in the next months/years a lot of Amex booths at airports, the same ones as a few years ago, trying to sell their product through some smoke screen subscription offers.
bostontraveler and Masterfrog like this.
Old Jan 4, 21, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
But why have a (cheap) AMEX at all?
For me the AF/KL one is extremely useful, both with the extra XP in some years, and the 3 instalments for AF/KL tickets, the extra miles covers the card fee, otherwise it have no benefits over any normal credit card you can get in NL, if it wasn't for these 2 reasons I probably would have never gotten an AMEX.
I keep it because when travelling for business I spend a lot with the card so I collect a lot of MR points. These points are useful when I'm a few miles short of an award flight, because it's way cheaper to transfer MR points to a loyalty program than to buy miles with cash. It's also "free money" when I pay my balance with the points.

Also, as said, there are often some very good cashback offers (AF-KLM, but also Fnac in France, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott, etc...). The benefits of the card largely compensate the annual fee for me. I think that I receive easily 1000€ a year in benefits with the card.

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Also, do not forget the nice regular offers we get regularly (like XXX EUR cash back for YYY EUR spent at AFKL, etc)
I have the exact same offers with my non-cobranded AMEX card.
Old Jan 4, 21, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
But that's expected and logical, isn't it ?
And why do you say so?
Old Jan 4, 21, 11:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
And why do you say so?
They can not restrict a non-branded card to a specific airline. That would be another step in the non-sense.
Old Jan 5, 21, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by canadavid View Post
They can not restrict a non-branded card to a specific airline. That would be another step in the non-sense.
yes, this is what I meant.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 3:43 am

Sadly I've never seen those in NL

Originally Posted by IstKong View Post
I keep it because when travelling for business I spend a lot with the card so I collect a lot of MR points. These points are useful when I'm a few miles short of an award flight, because it's way cheaper to transfer MR points to a loyalty program than to buy miles with cash. It's also "free money" when I pay my balance with the points.
Fair enough, especially if you spend in EUR, however with the cheap cards you get less MR, in NL you can get AMEX blue for free if you spend 3000€ a year on it but only 1MR for 2€, and you can pretty much only use it online as not many stores accept it.
Old Jan 5, 21, 7:19 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, ALL Silver
Got the callback from AMEX today regarding my requested discount of 300 EUR on the annual FB plat fee - it has been approved.
bostontraveler, Goldorak and Yolow like this.
Old Jan 5, 21, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Got the callback from AMEX today regarding my requested discount of 300 EUR on the annual FB plat fee - it has been approved.
tried in France and they said I had already benefited from many promotions (lol) so no discount on AF Plat but 15 000 miles

Search this Thread