Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
tried in France and they said I had already benefited from many promotions (lol) so no discount on AF Plat but 15 000 miles
damn, i got nothing but: oh there was an offer of 90€ last spring and you can now pay your subscription monthly instead of a yearly payment (just after I paid it) ;-)
I should call back...
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Compared to the US Plat Amex the French one is pitiful.
I also thought my Italian Amex cards were weak on benefits until I saw the benefits in France.
They have improved the offers but eviscerating the core product is just plain stupid.
The customer service- which in my opinion is also a core product- is very variable. Sometimes excellent (from 9am to 6pm) and sometimes horrendous (usually before/after those times).
Whoever the product director is in France needs to take a few basic business school classes because it is the most incoherent strategy ever.
Masterfrog and Snick like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:27 am

I also thought my Italian Amex cards were weak on benefits until I saw the benefits in France.
They have improved the offers but eviscerating the core product is just plain stupid.
The customer service- which in my opinion is also a core product- is very variable. Sometimes excellent (from 9am to 6pm) and sometimes horrendous (usually before/after those times).
Whoever the product director is in France needs to take a few basic business school classes because it is the most incoherent strategy ever.
Try Dutch one, this is when you learn what pitiful really is...
Masterfrog, Wunk and Thysk like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
True. And especially true when the competitors in France can offer a free premium card without FX fees and with good insurance policies like Boursorama, Fortuneo, and so on.

AMEX France really needs to improve their product line, otherwise, customers will flee, especially these days when very few people can enjoy the travel benefits. They should remove FX fees, waive the annual fee for Blue/Silver cards and maybe waive conditionally but automatically the annual fee for certain spending amount for the Green/Gold card.

I see very few reason for the average traveler to subscribe for an AMEX card in France these days, except for the welcome bonus. And I see very few reasons for their actual customers to keep the card, especially if it's a premium and costly one.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: FB platinum
tried in France and they said I had already benefited from many promotions (lol) so no discount on AF Plat but 15 000 miles
I also tried in France, and their argument was "We never do cash discounts on the subscription for the AFKL Plat card (we do however on the Gold one), but we can talk about miles"...
bostontraveler and Thysk like this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by maxvor
Try Dutch one, this is when you learn what pitiful really is...
Still better than the Belgian one!
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
Still better than the Belgian one!
Is there a belgian FB Amex card? I'm only aware of the FB MC from Belfius bank.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I also called Amex regarding retention bonuses for my Silver Dutch Flying Blue card. They offered a 45 euro bonus and a couple thousand miles, which is not great, but considering the cost of the card (75 euro) and my spending (<10k euro), I took it.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Diamond, some others as well
I just got a retention offer of 20K miles and 3mnd double pts after just 6 months of having a FB Gold card (previously had a silver one for 6 months). Pretty decent. Spend was around 5k.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: Eurostar Avantage, FB Silver
Originally Posted by lloydje33
I just got a retention offer of 20K miles and 3mnd double pts after just 6 months of having a FB Gold card (previously had a silver one for 6 months). Pretty decent. Spend was around 5k.
More generous than I got right after New Years. Maybe I used the wrong keywords 'canceling gold due to high costs'... I only got the discount on the membership fee or the Silver + 5000 miles. Once I called back after a few days to confirm and hinted that 'miles are more valuable to me than the discounted membership fee', they went ahead with the Silver bonus instead of offering keeping Gold with more miles bonus. Seems to depend on who you speak to during your call.
lloydje33 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue, IB, Miles and More, Delta
The French Amex has lost most of its value in the last 10 years. :
They used to offer Tier miles everytime you were using your Amex.
The FX rate went from 2,5% to 2,8%
Now they are axing the insurance benefits with high deductibles and travel insurance only for AF-KLM travels.

And during that time the price of the cards increased while some other premium cards were introduced for free on the French market.
Of course you can get a discount or a miles bonus for that overpriced card but you have to do your annual call to beg that if you don't want to pay full price.
Unless they give some new serious perks or cut significantly the price in April, there is almost no reason to get above the entry level card or not cancelling it for good.

I bet next year they will hire lots of commercials to harass you at Paris Airports to get their fantastic card.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Masterfrog
The French Amex has lost most of its value in the last 10 years. (...)
Now they are axing the insurance benefits with high deductibles and travel insurance only for AF-KLM travels.(...).
The Insurance move has been the straw that broke the camel's back. I am ditching my AFKL Plat after so many years for a standard Gold. Will get necessary insurance when travelling far away; on any airline. AF is usually far too expensive in biz to New York or Asia, so I hardly fly them long haul.

Originally Posted by Masterfrog
I bet next year they will hire lots of commercials to harass you at Paris Airports to get their fantastic card..
It has started already. Haven't you heard their (weird) adverting campaign on BFM Radio? The sales pitch is the delayed payment... What a weird choice of vocabulary. The self employed says she can "tamponner (sa) trésorerie"!!!

What? She can stamp her cash (flow)!!!! I NEVER heard about any "tamponnement" of cash reserves in French.

Has anyone ever heard or used that word in French in this sense? Could it be a faux-ami? A foreign word (buffer for example) from a campaign from another country? Has no one from Amex France heard this ad and raised the alarm?
Masterfrog and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Could it be a faux-ami? A foreign word (buffer for example) from a campaign from another country? Has no one from Amex France heard this ad and raised the alarm?
It most probably is. The ugly "bufferiser" ("bœuf-feur-isé") is getting more and more common in engineering/marketing lingo. I would bet my (now useless) FB status that the first draft of the script was written with "bufferiser", and that a slightly-less-dumb member decided to make it more french and remplace it with "tamponner".

Last edited by maalloc; Jan 30, 2021 at 8:28 am
Old Jan 30, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by maalloc
(...) to make it more french and remplace it with "tamponner".
More French and even more ridiculous!

Especially given the targeted audience.

"Gérer le décalage de trésorerie " would certainly be better understood than tamponner!
maalloc likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Tbh, im Milking the referals for the 180k points every year.

That provides enough value at 170€ a year alone.

Does anyone know how much you can make selling cards for amex? Asking for a griend :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.