Wiki Posts
Search

On Board Service Changes - Corona

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
This is the AF thread, but just a quick note from a KL flight, AMS-LYS. In J they served a nice breakfast box with an actual Delft coffee mug instead of a paper cup.
You forgot the best and most important part; it was a designer box.
maalloc likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
otherwise it will be me who reports back tomorrow. AF want €1419 for the upgrade to J, so I’ll skip and find myself happy in my “seat plus” 🤭
stay tuned ...
Got an upgrade offer for J aswell for the short-haul this morning...
Oddly enough no one seems to take advantage of this "incredible offer" (79€ for a bag of peanuts, if things haven't improved since the last reports we got?). The J cabin was marked as 100% empty at this time.
skycruiserNL and Carel1 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
It seems that AF is considering bringing back alcoholic drinks in all classes as per July.

Chez Air France, la solution est très évolutive et la compagnie envisage déjà le retour de l’alcool courant juillet dans toutes ses cabines sur moyen-courrier et une révision de son protocole sur long-courrier.

How's the actual situation? Anyone can confirm and have flown or knowledge first-hand?
Sorry I was not monitoring this thread.
AF should update me soon on the new service protocol, in the meantime the above information stands correct.

The great mystery is long haul and economy in particular. In theory, they are serving as normal including the champagne aperitif, but it's be nice to have it confirmed....
Regarding drinks for long haul, it's the regular choice for all cabins (like Champagne for Y).
See here: https://flight-report.com/fr/report/...-nrt-paris-cdg
Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This is really getting totally ridiculous. As per the information we got previously, for medium-haul, service was supposed to be back to fully normal today. This morning, in Y, it was back to normal with a sweet (very good) small cake served with the coffee and soft drinks. I could not see what was happening for J. But, on-board, they still made the usual announcement saying that there was a temporary limited service (temporary....). I asked later the Ultimate TA and they reply that the service was still not back to normal and they don’t know when it will be back to normal .
So if we can have updates posted here that would be great.
AlvinMaker likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:25 am

Just landed from CDG AMS, operated by AF at lunch time.

Y had juices, coffee and stillwater. That’s it. J had champagne, so I guess the upgrade is worth more than just peanuts now.

When I played dumb and casually asked for a beer or any other adult beverage, I was answered very seriously that given the current situation, « nothing with bubbles » could be served.I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out why Heineken or even Coke presents serious safety threats in Y.

So every is not back to normal yet

Last edited by maalloc; Jul 10, 2020 at 6:36 am
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
CDG-AMS first flight this morning in Y only choix of coffee, tea , hot chocolate, water that's all; in J the same + 1 small box of sweets ( cannot see what it as exactly).
Now there is worst I fly to Sofia after on Bulgarian Air, only a bottle of water on a 2h40 flight.
KLM Schengen Lounge in AMS is worse than CDG F, only sandwiches and 2 types of cookies.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by pascalgr
CDG-AMS first flight this morning in Y only choix of coffee, tea , hot chocolate, water that's all; in J the same + 1 small box of sweets ( cannot see what it as exactly).
Now there is worst I fly to Sofia after on Bulgarian Air, only a bottle of water on a 2h40 flight.
KLM Schengen Lounge in AMS is worse than CDG F, only sandwiches and 2 types of cookies.
really pathetic ...
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I was in the KL AMS Schengen lounge this past weekend and they had wine and several breakfast items. And all the drink machines and coffee machines are open for anyone to help themselves. I was happy with the lounge considering the circumstances.
skycruiserNL likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
KLM Schengen lounge has any sandwich made on request and indeed no self service in food items. However all drinks and beverages are available, even for self-service. Including hard liquor and the cava.

Schengen Lounge (25) KLM 02JUL2020
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
I was referring to the absence of Croissant, Brioche, Pain au chocolat, yoghourt at least this morning; You are right there are liquor available, I was speaking about the food offering of the lounge at 9 am time;
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by maalloc

When I played dumb and casually asked for a beer or any other adult beverage, I was answered very seriously that given the current situation, « nothing with bubbles » could be served.I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out why Heineken or even Coke presents serious safety threats in Y.
(bolding mine).

I wonder whether this is a cost reduction measure or something that increases their cost. Do they pay so little that all they can find as FA are people who wouldn't find any other job for being so dumb to pretend that drinks with bubbles are dangerous in times of Covid? Or are their FAs full of common sense and therefore need to be paid a premium for saying something so dumb without poking fun at it?

I appreciate that with Covid-19 we are dealing with something that science does not fully understand, and the wider public certainly doesn't. Many decisions are being taken these days that in some months or years will look unjustified or hysterical, but we take them now to be on the cautious side of things. However, there are some things that common sense should tell us already now are absolutely silly. Not serving drinks with bubbles because they are more dangerous than drinks without bubbles is a candidate for being such a silly decision.
Bullspread and Solevita like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by maalloc
Just landed from CDG AMS, operated by AF at lunch time.

Y had juices, coffee and stillwater. That’s it. J had champagne, so I guess the upgrade is worth more than just peanuts now.

So every is not back to normal yet
I don't suppose you asked why the red & white wines had suddenly acquired bubbles thus making them unavailable too... J must have had champagne with special covid-free bubbles I guess!
Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Solevita
I don't suppose you asked why the red & white wines had suddenly acquired bubbles thus making them unavailable too... J must have had champagne with special covid-free bubbles I guess!
Haha no I didn't think of that comeback at the time!

That said, I can accept that serving Diet Coke or beer takes slightly longer than orange juice. Maybe those precious extra seconds are best spent on the back of the plane behind a curtain than in the cabin with PAX. Maybe.
But... even accepting these premises I'm not sure that having to explain the policy over and over again to flabbergasted customers, then waiting for their second order actually makes service shorter.

Last edited by maalloc; Jul 10, 2020 at 11:47 pm
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:46 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Solevita
KLM passengers received bubbles in Y yesterday, however only the Coke-bubbles. So it must have something to do with AF-passengers which need to be protected from these dangerous bubbles.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by gkl
KLM passengers received bubbles in Y yesterday, however only the Coke-bubbles. So it must have something to do with AF-passengers which need to be protected from these dangerous bubbles.
We desperately need a chart to summarize how dangerous is each beverage/snack. It seems like airlines did a thorough job quantifying their respective threat level.

For now, all we know for sure is that designer boxes seem to help. Man, science is progressing a lot these days.
Goldorak and Solevita like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.