Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Oh, the stories I could tell you...
The problem (and the good thing for me), is that our industry is not regulated. You will have corn-husk wreathing and paper mache majors who "dabbled" in .NET, RoR, etc. and self-proclaim their superiority while writing their perfectly working bubble sorts and be proud of it.

n² yo.

n³ yo.

This is why I make my good money.

QED.

Drop da mic.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Erome
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if you need the flights to 'post' before October 15th?

I am on deck to fly 35 segments before October 9th, doubt they'll be posted by the 15th.

Also, does the sweep count for getting first status? I looked back through the last 10-15 pages of this thread and it seems there is no real straight answer on people who have 0 status at the start and if they get status for the early recognition. I see lots of people move from Status A to Status B, but dunno about first time status..

Thanks!
If you fly on the 9th, you'll be fine.

And yes, it counts for any status E35K or higher, first time or an upgrade.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
And why no early recognition for existing SE

interesting read about how AC incentivizes extra spend earlier in the year and rewards those who do so.

but reaching previous status level by cut-off is not recognized at all, other than enhanced eups etc. that everyone gets.

last 3 years have done 100k AQM by mid-year or so (this year june 24), which for some means free to fly others, but I continue mostly with AC/Star simply because of routing patterns with through international fares. So I suppose AC knows this, so why recognize such performance.

don't feel the love today, but have been home for few weeks between projects, so might be missing the smell of Jet A.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by skybluesea
interesting read about how AC incentivizes extra spend earlier in the year and rewards those who do so.

but reaching previous status level by cut-off is not recognized at all, other than enhanced eups etc. that everyone gets.

last 3 years have done 100k AQM by mid-year or so (this year june 24), which for some means free to fly others, but I continue mostly with AC/Star simply because of routing patterns with through international fares. So I suppose AC knows this, so why recognize such performance.

don't feel the love today, but have been home for few weeks between projects, so might be missing the smell of Jet A.
Maybe I'm missing your point...but why would you need early recognition as an existing SE? You can already avail yourself of the benefits of being an SE. For others, they are either making status for the first time or being "upgraded" in status, so early recognition makes sense in those cases...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:41 pm

Yeah, I think you misunderstand what "early recognition" means.

It means you get the benefits of that status now, instead of next March.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
I understand what it means, but let me put it a different way.

FF who gets early status gets LONGER benefit than those already at that level. I understand the self-serving reason AC does this, but what it means for those already at the higher level, is their benefit is diluted because additional travelers now fall in the upper category that did not occur in previous 10 months e.g. eUps etc.

So for those of us SE who repeatedly achieve SE quite early, we get NO incremental benefit for this loyalty but instead come October face benefit dilution.

Reminds me of the consumer offers that are only valid for first time customers, but sends message to existing customers that you get to pay more sucker because we already got you.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by skybluesea
I understand what it means, but let me put it a different way.

FF who gets early status gets LONGER benefit than those already at that level. I understand the self-serving reason AC does this, but what it means for those already at the higher level, is their benefit is diluted because additional travelers now fall in the upper category that did not occur in previous 10 months e.g. eUps etc.

So for those of us SE who repeatedly achieve SE quite early, we get NO incremental benefit for this loyalty but instead come October face benefit dilution.

Reminds me of the consumer offers that are only valid for first time customers, but sends message to existing customers that you get to pay more sucker because we already got you.
Don't really get your point. I have been SE for many years and I don't think I get the short end of the stick on this. I think it's good business practice on AC part. People that get early status recognition have earned it. Where I sometimes have problems is with status matching. These people have not earned status, and by quotes on this site , a lot of games are played to get the status match.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about timelines...

So earlier I asked about becoming E35K before Oct 15th, and the answer is yes, I'll get my status recognized. Does that process take a few weeks for the mailing to go out, or will I notice on my tickets on Oct 16th that it says AC*E instead of AC*A all of a sudden?

Second question: How does it work if I hit E50 or E75 in Nov or Dec? My assumption is it simply counts toward the 2016 recognition. 2016 Recognition doesnt occur until March right? So January and February will be E35K benefits?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Erome
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about timelines...

So earlier I asked about becoming E35K before Oct 15th, and the answer is yes, I'll get my status recognized. Does that process take a few weeks for the mailing to go out, or will I notice on my tickets on Oct 16th that it says AC*E instead of AC*A all of a sudden?

Second question: How does it work if I hit E50 or E75 in Nov or Dec? My assumption is it simply counts toward the 2016 recognition. 2016 Recognition doesnt occur until March right? So January and February will be E35K benefits?
For 1) It can take a little while. Once your altitude account shows your new status at the top, you can remove and re-apply your AP number from your booking (either phoning in or at the airport) and your new status will show then (but not before).

For 2) They do sweeps, if it's like the last couple years, and if you get it before one of the random sweeps you'll get it.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Early recognition question

If someone is SE during 2015 but does not fly enough to re qualify, and then flies 100k aqm in January 2016, is early recognition granted?

The question arises because the person would still be SE until February 28, 2016; so technically early recognition in February will not be a "higher level ".
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:00 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by tinchote
If someone is SE during 2015 but does not fly enough to re qualify, and then flies 100k aqm in January 2016, is early recognition granted?

The question arises because the person would still be SE until February 28, 2016; so technically early recognition in February will not be a "higher level ".
My understanding is that as of Jan 1, you start qualifying for the current year. If you fly 100,000 AQMs between Jan 1 and Oct 15 you get early qualification for 2016 and would maintain the status until Feb 28, 2018.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
As soon as you hit 100k in a calendar year you'll be SE. Early recognition is granted for the status you're gaining not based on the status you have.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
As soon as you hit 100k in a calendar year you'll be SE. Early recognition is granted for the status you're gaining not based on the status you have.
With the exception that you can't get early recognition for the status you already have, or a lower one.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
For 1) It can take a little while. Once your altitude account shows your new status at the top, you can remove and re-apply your AP number from your booking (either phoning in or at the airport) and your new status will show then (but not before).
Actually, I am in this situation right now. I got early recognition from AC for E50K status last week but my LO boarding pass still showed AC*S this morning. I asked the check-in agent to remove my Aeroplan number and to re-swipe it but it still showed me as AC*S, not AC*G.

Not sure if it would have worked with an AC flight instead of LO. I'll see on morning Friday, I guess, when I check in for my return flight.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:29 pm

How many eupgrades at 50K??

I received 10 eupgrades when I made early 35K.

I will make 50K by end of this week.

How many more eupgrades can I expect when I get early 50K??

THanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.