Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated content deleted]
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I have had upflexes transpacific for as low as $100± probably worth the effort to call in unless you got a very cheap tango seat.
I think it's worth the effort to call period.

I've had Flex to Business upfares for $17.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think it's worth the effort to call period.

I've had Flex to Business upfares for $17.
You win
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, *G
3x Early Recognition ?

I'm about to earn early recognition for the third time. My question is what happens to the elite 35k privilege that I gifted to a friend (when I crossed 75k) once I cross the next threshold (at 100k) and get to gift 50k to a friend? I'm assuming the privileges don't "stack" but still curious how it works out? Thanks!!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by heathfields
I'm about to earn early recognition for the third time. My question is what happens to the elite 35k privilege that I gifted to a friend (when I crossed 75k) once I cross the next threshold (at 100k) and get to gift 50k to a friend? I'm assuming the privileges don't "stack" but still curious how it works out? Thanks!!
yes you can nominate a 50k once you hit 100K for early recognition, and nominate a 50K again in the new year.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Shanqx
yes you can nominate a 50k once you hit 100K for early recognition, and nominate a 50K again in the new year.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I meant to say that I am earning early recognition for the third time this calendar year! I passed 50k (April), 75k (August), and about to cross 100K this week.

At 75k, I chose to gift E35K to a friend. Now at 100K I will have the option to gift 50K to a friend. So my question is: what happens to the e35K gift if I choose the e50K as part of my new set of privileges?

Again, I'm assuming that they don't stack. But curious what happens. Do I have to gift it to the same person? If I gift to a new person does the earlier e35k gift get clawed back? Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:32 am

Someone else reported earlier this year that they were able to nominate a different person, and so they effectively had two status nominees.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:31 am

Someone else reported earlier this year that they were able to nominate a different person, and so they effectively had two status nominees.
If that's the case, then you won't be hearing any complaints from me.

On some level, I guess this is the decent thing to do, since retroactively removing the e35 status that's been gifted would be a cheap shot.

THANKS!!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver

On some level, I guess this is the decent thing to do, since retroactively removing the e35 status that's been gifted would be a cheap shot.

THANKS!!
Yes. You can have two nominees (e35+e50)

I cleared from 25k all the way up to 100k as well this year.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:26 pm

THANKS!!
I actually don't think it would be a cheap shot at all.

I think it would be very reasonable to have two options:

1. You select the E50K nominee, and it is required to go to whomever you gave E35K
2. You select something else, and it removes the E35K

Early recognition is not intended to allow benefit stacking. They've made changes to how eUps work because of this.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I have no dog in this fight, and I think it would be nice to have honour the original nominee if the member chooses a different person on promotion to 100K, but if AC did transfer the nominee from Person A to Person B at the time of the 75 to 100 promotion, it seems to me the cheap shot is the member that names Person A as the 35K nominee at 75K, and then doesn't choose the same person to upgrade to 50K. If you knew you got one nominee at a time, the abrupt extinction of the original nominee status is on the giver not on AC.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)

THANKS!!
This makes sense since the individual receiving the gift also receives a card that has a "valid until date of 2017.02.28."

Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by CanRulez
This makes sense since the individual receiving the gift also receives a card that has a "valid until date of 2017.02.28."
And I suspect the cost of managing the removal of gifted E35K status in order to give an E50K status to a different person would be much higher than the actual cost of the status itself!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:51 am

Whatever one choses re same or additional person the selection must be made by Oct 15. (Noted on the selection listing when I reached E75 early).

Thus, those swept up and/or notified after Oct 15 each year no longer have that gifting benefit available.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb

1. You select the E50K nominee, and it is required to go to whomever you gave E35K

Early recognition is not intended to allow benefit stacking. They've made changes to how eUps work because of this.
I expected it would work as you suggested in your #1 option. I thought the nominee name would be "locked in" and it would bump them up to E50K. That wasn't the case though, and I gave those E75k and SE100K benefits to different people. But they clawed back my 1,500 AQM I selected as an E75K benefit when I reached SE100K. Go figure.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite

AC could also just move your 35K nominee to 50K. Nobody loses that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.