Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Just thought I'd throw this question out as I think I'm starting to see a pattern emerge: Is it possible to book complex multi-transcontinental routings that involve AC segments or does the flexible pricing mess things up? From what I've read so far it seems like the answer is a no, but would be curious if it was possible what pre-requisites would be required to ensure it is bookable on such an itinerary?

-RooFlyer88
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
Just thought I'd throw this question out as I think I'm starting to see a pattern emerge: Is it possible to book complex multi-transcontinental routings that involve AC segments or does the flexible pricing mess things up? From what I've read so far it seems like the answer is a no, but would be curious if it was possible what pre-requisites would be required to ensure it is bookable on such an itinerary?
You ask whether it's possible. Yes, definitely.

You ask whether flexible pricing messes things up. In what way? From a technical perspective? Not necessarily. But does the ridiculous pricing render it unattractive to include AC segments? Often, but not always.

I've recently booked or changed several complex itineraries to include AC segments without much difficulty and at reasonable cost (all in J). In one case, CPH-EWR-YYZ-YYC (SK-AC-AC) was cheaper than the partner-only pricing for the same route would have been. In another, tacking on SFO-YYC to an all-partner TATL round trip cost me 6K extra points gross (3K net after the priority reward discount). The same flight would have cost 31K points (gross) to book in J on its own.

On the other hand, if I had taken other EWR-YYZ-YYC flights, or the EWR-YYC non-stop, on that CPH-YYC bound, it would have cost me 130K points or 200K+ (for the non-stop) rather than the 68K or whatever it cost for the flights I did book. So that sucked. But in the old days, that itinerary wasn't bookable, period. The SK CPH-EWR could have been booked on its own, then a separate Market Fare reward for the AC flight(s), but not on one ticket. Or it would have been something ridiculous like EWR-YYZ-YOW-YWG-YYC in 27 hours, all in Y.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
- I had a lot of issues with the circuitous routing rule (can't fly more than 100% the direct distance) as it applies within pairs inside the one-way (my understanding from blogs is that it's the whole trip, but that's not true). So even where the whole trip was only 80% more than direct, doing something like JFK-FRA-BAH-MCT-AUH-BKK would break it because of the backtracking within BAH-MCT-AUH (just 500 mi in nominal terms, but a massive 200% in % terms). Be mindful of your backtracking.
Very interesting information. Your original understanding seems to align with AP's official award rules PDF which states:

"Flight Reward itineraries built in a circuitous manner may be permitted so long
as the cumulative flown distance between the origin and destination does not
exceed twice the non-stop distance for a given direction of travel."

Originally Posted by letsflyflyaway
Hi everyone! My first post here and I'm new to award travel, but trying to start big! The goal is to achieve a 110k (105k + 5k stopover) redemption from North America to Pacific, via Atlantic. I spent a few hours on the phone with two seemingly knowledgable agents but they both quoted 35-55k higher than I expected. I don't think there's backtracking, circuitous routing, or exceeding 6 segments, but I must still be missing something. Would someone mind pointing out where I went wrong in the below two itineraries?

Parameters:
  • All flights are in business class (J), unless otherwise noted
  • No AC flights
  • Layovers are <24 hours
  • Ideally would like a stopover in Jordan
  • CAI and MCT aren't important layovers. Preference is to fly direct and do more layovers in Asia if possible (ie: I would've preferred to fly direct from NYC to AUH or BAH as a stopover, pay cash RT fares to Jordan, and then continue the journey onto Asia with another direct flight)
#1: Agent confirmed as one bound for 145,000 points
  1. JFK - CAI - 5,614 mi on MS
  2. CAI - AMM - 294 mi on MS
    **Stopover**"
  3. AMM - IST - 772 mi on TK
  4. IST - MCT - 2,095 mi on WY
  5. MCT - BKK - 2,855 mi on WY
    **this fare in F class**"
Total: 11,630 mi

#2: Agent confirmed as one bound for 155,000 points
  1. <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->JFK - CAI - 5,614 mi on MS
  2. CAI - AMM - 294 mi on MS
    **Stopover**
  3. AMM - MCT - 1,473 mi on TK
  4. MCT - BKK - 2,855 mi on WY
  5. BKK - ICN - 2,277 mi on TG

Total: 12,513 mi
I'm also open to any suggestions for a one-way bound from US East Coast to Asia, via Europe/the Middle East, ideally ending in ICN/NRT/HND, ideally with at least one layover in Asia. Thank you in advance!
Your first route I think is priced correctly. You're at 11,001+ miles between NA and Pacific in FIRST, which comes to 140k + 5k stop-over.

For your second route, maybe it's cause it's over 100% of direct JFK-ICN distance? You list AMM-MCT on TK, but that should actually be AMM-IST-MCT right?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 10, 2022 at 12:41 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:19 am

Am I running into a married segments problem?

I want to go MLE BAH (FRA LHR MXP) YUL YWG. Any of the 3 works for european stops. I can get BAH-europe-YUL YWG to price out online all in J (or thereabouts eupgrade the yul flight) i can also book MLE BAH in Y. I am unable to get MLE BAH to join with the other segments online.

If I call in can they do it?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:31 pm

Is the following one-way routing in AP not valid?

LHE-BAH-MLE(STOPOVER)-AUH-IAD
Aeroplan keeps trying to book it as two separate one-way tickets (LHE-BAH-MLE & MLE-AUH-IAD).

I tell them I'm trying to make use of the 5k AP stopover option but it doesn't seem to help.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Does this look bookable if I phone it in and any tips on the best way to feed it to the agent?
YYZ- IAD (AC or UA)
IAD-AUH (EY)
AUH-JNB (EY)
JNB-CPT (SA)
I don't know if it matters, but YYZ-CPT is approximately 8100 miles on GC Maps and YYZ-IAD-AUH-JNB-CPT is just over 12,000 miles. First flight on UA keeps me away from dynamic pricing but gives me a long layover in IAD. I had YYZ-EWR-JNB-CPT ready to phone in and EWR-JNB on UA disappeared. I shouldn't have waited

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Does this look bookable if I phone it in and any tips on the best way to feed it to the agent?
YYZ- IAD (AC or UA)
IAD-AUH (EY)
AUH-JNB (EY)
JNB-CPT (SA)
I don't know if it matters, but YYZ-CPT is approximately 8100 miles on GC Maps and YYZ-IAD-AUH-JNB-CPT is just over 12,000 miles. First flight on UA keeps me away from dynamic pricing but gives me a long layover in IAD. I had YYZ-EWR-JNB-CPT ready to phone in and EWR-JNB on UA disappeared. I shouldn't have waited

Thanks for any help.
It should be possible since you are crossing the Atlantic for this North America to EMEA itinerary and only have 4 flights on this one-way itinerary. Where is the stopover by the way? Or are you trying to get Aeroplan to book YYZ to CPT with this routing? In any event, provided you find J partner availability for those flights on the days in question I see no reason why this shouldn't work. If I was you I'd try to stick to partner only awards since it makes ticketing much easier. You may even want to consider even flying United Y down to EWR or IAD given how short the plane ride is and if it enables you to fly the airlines and routings you prefer. Certainly I wouldn't want to have a 12 hour layover at Dulles just so I can say I flew United First for an hour to there!

As an aside, I would encourage you to have a backup routing on hand in case things go pear shaped. For instance when I was booking Sydney to Toronto via Zurich (with a stopover there) I encountered difficulties getting the whole thing to ticket. It turns out that my desired routing ex-ZRH on LX was incompatible with Aeroplan's opaque routing rules. However, since I had the agent try booking ZRH > YYZ on Tap connecting in Lisbon and everything checked out.

-RooFlyer88
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Thanks. I may try to call in later today if I have time. There only appears to be space on one UA flight on that day, Y or J, and it's at 6 am. My back up routing is YYZ-EWR-ADD-JNB-CPT. I would prefer EY over ET. The way home looks easier. I found CPT-ADD-YYZ, so I will experience ET on that route.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
YYZ- IAD (AC or UA)
IAD-AUH (EY)
AUH-JNB (EY)
JNB-CPT (SA)

Thanks for any help.
When I call I say:

"I have a series of flights I'd like to book and was hoping you could enter them into the system and see if they work."

If the answer is "that's not how it works", I HUCA, politely. (Though that has not happened the last few times I've called.)

If yes, I say eg. "it's for one person, me, and I'm flying in J. The first flight is from YVR to IST on April 1st, 2023".

Provide the list of flights and dates, then let them see what the computer comes up with for choices, and if they need prompting on the exact flight(s) you want, tell them eg "TK 76 @" whatever the departure time is.

The better prepared you are, the better it goes, in my experience.
ahchiu likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by kalderlake
When I call I say:

"I have a series of flights I'd like to book and was hoping you could enter them into the system and see if they work."

If the answer is "that's not how it works", I HUCA, politely. (Though that has not happened the last few times I've called.)

If yes, I say eg. "it's for one person, me, and I'm flying in J. The first flight is from YVR to IST on April 1st, 2023".

Provide the list of flights and dates, then let them see what the computer comes up with for choices, and if they need prompting on the exact flight(s) you want, tell them eg "TK 76 @" whatever the departure time is.

The better prepared you are, the better it goes, in my experience.
Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:37 am

To update, I was able to book this:
YYZ- IAD (AC or UA) IAD-AUH (EY) AUH-JNB (EY) JNB-CPT (SA)
CPT-ADD (ET) ADD-YYZ (ET)
I got a very helpful agent who inputted everything one flight at a time starting with the AC flight to IAD. When we were done it came out to 131,356 points and $194.71 in fees and taxes using my last priority reward, I asked if he would sub out the AC flight for a UA one and it went down to 100,000 points, but I now have a 13 hour layover instead of a 4 hour layover,

If room on a better UA flight opens up can I switch or will it reprice? I'm sure it would if it was an AC flight,
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If there's no AC, what is there to reprice?
allbrosca and Smiley90 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If there's no AC, what is there to reprice?
After 1 september, would it increase to the new award pricing, if applicable?
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
After 1 september, would it increase to the new award pricing, if applicable?
Oh, yes, definitely.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
edited: resolved!

Edited version of original post… a non-FFer friend of mine booked an itinerary with a stopover but was charged two separate awards.

Called back and the next agent repriced the ticket to include a stopover.

Hats off to Aeroplan. My friend said the agents couldn’t have been nicer, the second agent even waited in line to make sure the points had been refunded!
ChrisA330 likes this.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Aug 15, 2022 at 6:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.