Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Is it me or is there an issue with Aeroplan displaying BR-BR connections? A simple YVR-TPE-KUL shows up (and is bookable) with other programs, just not AC. I can see the individual segments but can't get them on a single itinerary.

I also tried booking YVR-TPE first, and called in to add TPE-KUL but the agent said "the fare doesn't allow it". Not sure if that's hogwash as no AC segments are involved?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Is it me or is there an issue with Aeroplan displaying BR-BR connections? A simple YVR-TPE-KUL shows up (and is bookable) with other programs, just not AC. I can see the individual segments but can't get them on a single itinerary.

I also tried booking YVR-TPE first, and called in to add TPE-KUL but the agent said "the fare doesn't allow it". Not sure if that's hogwash as no AC segments are involved?
BR has been notorious for married segment availability previously. My guess is that this case is "unmarried" availability, where A and B are available but A-B isn't available. This happened to me with SK, each flight was individually available, United showed availability of them combined, but AP wouldn't book it for me. (And the AP explanation was "their results are cleaner")
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
The poster isn't doing YYZ-AUH-AMD, they're doing YYZ-CAI.
Oops, missed it where the OP provided updated itinerary.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:48 pm

Looking to book TPE-SIN-BKK with TPE-SIN on SQ in J and SIN-BKK on TG in J with less than 24 hour connection. AP agent quoted me 65,000 points (45,000 + 20,000 for two segments). Doesn't that seem incorrect as routing between TPE and BKK only costs 30,000 in J?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by gogogofalcons
Looking to book TPE-SIN-BKK with TPE-SIN on SQ in J and SIN-BKK on TG in J with less than 24 hour connection. AP agent quoted me 65,000 points (45,000 + 20,000 for two segments). Doesn't that seem incorrect as routing between TPE and BKK only costs 30,000 in J?
If you check the award map, TPE-SIN-BKK falls into a different band than TPE-BKK (2000-5000 vs 1000-2000), so it was definitely going to cost more. That said, if it WAS one award, it should be 45'000. I'm worried that since TPE-SIN-BKK is nearly twice the mileage of TPE-BKK, it might just exceed what's allowed on this ticket. Someone more knowledgeable can probably chime in.

Because it's such a theoretically simple routing,if it WAS allowed, it should easily show up online.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:07 pm

If you check the award map, TPE-SIN-BKK falls into a different band than TPE-BKK (2000-5000 vs 1000-2000), so it was definitely going to cost more. That said, if it WAS one award, it should be 45'000. I'm worried that since TPE-SIN-BKK is nearly twice the mileage of TPE-BKK, it might just exceed what's allowed on this ticket. Someone more knowledgeable can probably chime in.

Because it's such a theoretically simple routing,if it WAS allowed, it should easily show up online.
Thanks for chiming in! Certainly understand the higher cost, but not the cumulative cost like a multi-city booking. On aeroplan's website, i can certainly book this routing in economy for 25,000 under the 2000-5000 distance band. Therefore, I think you're right that it should come out to 45,000. Is there something I'm saying when feeding the routes to the agent when booking? she's quoting it as if it's two separate segments?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for chiming in! Certainly understand the higher cost, but not the cumulative cost like a multi-city booking. On aeroplan's website, i can certainly book this routing in economy for 25,000 under the 2000-5000 distance band. Therefore, I think you're right that it should come out to 45,000. Is there something I'm saying when feeding the routes to the agent when booking? she's quoting it as if it's two separate segments?
Is there a reason why you're calling in to make this booking? What happens if you just say you want to book Taipei to Bangkok via Singapore? Don't use the words bounds or stopover or layover.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:12 pm

Is there a reason why you're calling in to make this booking? What happens if you just say you want to book Taipei to Bangkok via Singapore? Don't use the words bounds or stopover or layover.
Yeah I'm calling in because the two flights I want for the TPE-SIN-BKK connection don't seem to appear on aeroplan's website. However, they do show up individually with availability. The agent says that since she has to pick each flight, it is pricing out that way as two segments?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I'm calling in because the two flights I want for the TPE-SIN-BKK connection don't seem to appear on aeroplan's website. However, they do show up individually with availability. The agent says that since she has to pick each flight, it is pricing out that way as two segments?
I picked a random date next June and I can definitely see it online, so it's a completely valid routing. Not sure why it's not showing up on your dates. The agent is definitely wrong. I'd try calling again and trying with a new agent.

​​​​
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Sounds like married segments to me. It’s possible that award inventory is not available when these flights are combined, and so the only way to book these would be separately.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Sounds like married segments to me. It’s possible that award inventory is not available when these flights are combined, and so the only way to book these would be separately.
Married segment logic wouldn't apply on a per-date basis, wouldn't it? The flights do show up in economy and on other dates in J too, just not OP's dates. Seems weird that it just wouldn't be allowed on SOME days, but others it is? Whack.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Married segment logic wouldn't apply on a per-date basis, wouldn't it? The flights do show up in economy and on other dates in J too, just not OP's dates. Seems weird that it just wouldn't be allowed on SOME days, but others it is? Whack.
That makes it sound even more like married segments. If it weren't bookable on any date, that would suggest there was some problem with the route or fare rules.

Married segments are just a different way of determining inventory, which obviously differs from day to day.

if it's only on certain day(s), that implies that on that day (or days), the airline isn't releasing inventory on that O/D route, even though they're releasing inventory on the individual segments.

For example, let's say I was trying to book YYT-YHZ-YUL-YYC with a Flex FP that books in to M. Inventory might be M0 if searching for availability on YYT-YYC with those connections on a specific date. And it could be M0 on YYT-YHZ-YUL and YHZ-YUL-YYC. But it could be M1 on YYT-YHZ, M2 on YHZ-YUL, and M3 on YUL-YYC. But other days, it could be M>0 on each flight or some combination thereof.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That makes it sound even more like married segments. If it weren't bookable on any date, that would suggest there was some problem with the route or fare rules.

Married segments are just a different way of determining inventory, which obviously differs from day to day.

if it's only on certain day(s), that implies that on that day (or days), the airline isn't releasing inventory on that O/D route, even though they're releasing inventory on the individual segments.

For example, let's say I was trying to book YYT-YHZ-YUL-YYC with a Flex FP that books in to M. Inventory might be M0 if searching for availability on YYT-YYC with those connections on a specific date. And it could be M0 on YYT-YHZ-YUL and YHZ-YUL-YYC. But it could be M1 on YYT-YHZ, M2 on YHZ-YUL, and M3 on YUL-YYC. But other days, it could be M>0 on each flight or some combination thereof.
thanks, guess this does sound like married logic. newbie question: does married logic apply to different carriers? for example, on this particular route, i'm looking at SQ connecting to TG. Also, in this married logic segment, would there be different availability between aeroplan and united mileageplus (as there appears to be based on a dummy search) or can you book it with aeroplan with calling in?

Last edited by gogogofalcons; Jul 27, 2022 at 9:18 pm
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
thanks, guess this does sound like married logic. newbie question: does married logic apply to different carriers? for example, on this particular route, i'm looking at SQ connecting to TG. Also, in this married logic segment, would there be different availability between aeroplan and united mileageplus (as there appears to be based on a dummy search) or can you book it with aeroplan with calling in?
I'd be more curious if you can actually book it via UA.

AC's booking engine is definitely not perfect. But they have been pretty vocal that eliminating phantom availability was a top priority of theirs, and they claim to have done quite well.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by zappy312
All partner awards still need to be validated for other routing rules, mostly covered here, but it doesn't need to comply with the cash routing rules.
Thanks for the prompt reply on this and apologies for not responding so soon, as I've been travelling.

Based on the document linked to it seems like the itinerary I wanted to book SYD > BNE > AUH > ZRH (stop) > GVA > YUL > YYZ > YXU breaks the rule about there only being 6 sectors on a one-way (there's 7). Will try to book a 5 sector solution (SYD > BNE > AUH >ZRH (stop) > ORD > YYZ) when I get back to Canada or worse case a 4 sector solution ( SYD > BNE > AUH > ZRH (stop) > ORD > YYZ) and work the rest from there.

-RooFlyer88

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.