Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jix
Yeah that's what I tried at first with agent, but they can't seem to piece together in a single award. When the flights are found the system treats as multi city because of the specific segment I asked.

From what I can tell with 2 hours with agent, a one way ticket with stopover must be constructed as origin+stopover+destination without specifying any connection cities and the resulting flights they agents can choose are going to be identical with flights on ac.com when searching for one way origin>stopover and stopover>destination. Whatever online result shows up are going to be the same as phone agent. Those 2x or 3x connections with long overnight connections found on united.com will not be available since agent can't see them and manually forcing it will just result in multiple awards, even if AC/partner flights have I or X class for all segments.

I gave up on AC redemption after this, will use points for very direct last minute flights only.
I've booked tickets in the new Aeroplan program by just listing individual flights and having the agent put it together that way. I did have to get a second, better agent to do it, but it's definitely possible.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jix
Yeah that's what I tried at first with agent, but they can't seem to piece together in a single award. When the flights are found the system treats as multi city because of the specific segment I asked.

From what I can tell with 2 hours with agent, a one way ticket with stopover must be constructed as origin+stopover+destination without specifying any connection cities and the resulting flights they agents can choose are going to be identical with flights on ac.com when searching for one way origin>stopover and stopover>destination. Whatever online result shows up are going to be the same as phone agent. Those 2x or 3x connections with long overnight connections found on united.com will not be available since agent can't see them and manually forcing it will just result in multiple awards, even if AC/partner flights have I or X class for all segments.

I gave up on AC redemption after this, will use points for very direct last minute flights only.
It's definitely possible, but some agents won't do it/try to do it. You might have to try more than one agent
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:23 am

Booked YVR-FRA-VIE-BUD-IST-DAC-BKK in J for the expected 90k over the week-end.

LH, OS, TK and TG

The agent was fine with entering the itinerary as prepared.

Gets me on a 747 for the first time (fingers crossed).

That flight (YVR-FRA on LH) wasn't available on it's own, but it was available as part of what I assume was a married segment (YVR-FRA-VIE-BUD). So I booked it just as it appeared as part of the larger bound.
expert7700 and unclepants like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Golf Canada Top 3%
Mini or Full RTW

Looking for ideas on a RTW trip this summer with the following parameters.

Currently 75K status. Will be SE on or around July 20.
2 Pax
Based in YYC
Travel between July 17 - 30. Must be back by July 31. Does not have to be full 14 days.
No Covid entry requirements or quarantine.

I have access to...
- UA family pricing - Must travel through a United hub
- 400,000 Aeroplan Points
- 2 Worldwide priority passes
- 4 NA priority passes
- 97 eUpgrade Credits
- AC Wifi

Would like to...
- be able to work while on holidays between the hours of 0930 - 1600 EST so not entirely sure if I should head to Europe or Asia first.
- earn some SQx on the way but not the end of the world.
- spend around 48 hours in each destination.
- reach 350,000 SQM in 2022.
- set foot on 6 of 7 easily accessible continents this year. Have done SA, Europe and obviously NA so far. Future confirmed bookings include JNB via FRA in August for my 50th, SIN at end of Sept for the F1 race.

I am okay...
- to sit in economy if it stretches my dollars / points significantly.
- wait until July 20 as I will have more eUps / priority

I currently have...
- 145,000 SQM - Will I receive the 20+20 additional eUps (100k + 140k thresholds) that are reserved for SE?
- $19131 SQD
- an awesome wife who allows me to do MR's every couple of weeks.

Thought about paying cash for myself and using points for my wife but seems difficult for me to coordinate both sides at once.

Appreciate any and all ideas.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:39 am

I cant find almost any YUL-SIN or KUL or BKK for 3 persons J in April or May 2023 under 30ish hours. Is it because the rewards are not out yet?

Also i'm trying on the website to do one way SJO-YUL ( 5 days stop?)-BKK and it counts it as 2 separates ticket?

Can I do something like SJO-YUL ( Stop)-BKK and Return MNL-SJO

If not is there a WIKI where I can find what can-can't do ?

Last edited by Joroy70; Jun 25, 2022 at 6:16 am
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Joroy70

Can I do something like SJO-YUL ( Stop)-BKK and Return MNL-SJO

If not is there a WIKI where I can find what can-can't do ?
You cannot stopover in North America
Furthemore, if you start involving AC flights, your options will be limited as the entire routing has to be a published routing.
Your best bet will probably be something like SJO-PTY-IST-BKK
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You cannot stopover in North America
Yeah read that afterwards so I could do YUL-BKK-SIN and MNL-SJO? or MNL-YUL if it doesnt work?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: AP AS BA
Here's a couple of itins to chew on (and price out)
1) YYC-YVR-ICN-(FRA)-CDG-YYZ-YYC
2) YYC-YVR-BNE-(sidetrips in AU/NZ)-ICN/NRT-YVR-YYC
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC 75K
You have so many variables and goals, this is best suited for a point consultant vs a forum IMO.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy
Hello people. I'm looking for ideas: YUL - HKT (or BKK) J one way for my 75yo mother somewhere between 2022-12-15 and 2022-12-23.

Because of her age, I would like to avoid too long layovers but a stopover somewhere decent - if necessary - could be done. Last march I booked YUL - FRA - AUH - HKT in J for 85k but now, dynamic pricing makes it very difficult to find affordable segments to Europe with AC and partners availabilty is not optimal.

Any ideas ?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy
Also, could someone explain to me how dynamic pricing works on a mix AC / Partners booking ? Is it exact science ? Let say I want to book YUL - SIN in J. If the first AC leg to LHR is 110k on its own, and the rest of the trip is 60k, how will AC calculate the total amount of points needed ?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:11 am

I was looking at that exact same route yesterday. There is plenty of YYZ-AUH-SIN but I was unable to add the YUL leg, is it because we go west then east???

If Yes I suggest buying the YUL-YYZ and then booking that

Last edited by Joroy70; Jun 26, 2022 at 10:28 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:28 am

Is this Valid

YYZ-AUH-SIN
MNL-AUH(STOP)-YYZ-SJO
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Joroy70
Is this Valid

YYZ-AUH-SIN
MNL-AUH(STOP)-YYZ-SJO
It should be - assuming YYZ-SJO on AC is combinable with the other flights.
If not you may have to look at Copa

And to your earlier question - it has nothing to do with backtracking east/west - but every thing to do with combineablity of AC flights with partner flights. Sometimes its just not possible, either to dynamic pricing or route restrictions
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
It should be - assuming YYZ-SJO on AC is combinable with the other flights.
If not you may have to look at Copa

And to your earlier question - it has nothing to do with backtracking east/west - but every thing to do with combineablity of AC flights with partner flights. Sometimes its just not possible, either to dynamic pricing or route restrictions
Gracias!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.