Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:41 pm

Bummer. Well A is only a 90 minute drive away (the flight is 23 minutes in the air) so definitely doable! Will likely book and then hope for a schedule change. Just so silly in cases like these where the airports are so close
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I am looking for May7-14ish. I just don't know what to put into the cowtool, and where it goes. For example, is the first leg origin YYZ and the destination AUH, or MLE with a stop in AUH?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by menna
I am looking for May7-14ish. I just don't know what to put into the cowtool, and where it goes. For example, is the first leg origin YYZ and the destination AUH, or MLE with a stop in AUH?
What are you looking for? A trip to Male with a stopover in AUH, or just a trip to Male?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:06 pm

so a mini rtw, but stop in MLE for a few days. pretty much this: YYZ-AUH-MLE, then MLE-BAH-ATH-YYZ

Last edited by menna; Jun 9, 2022 at 3:15 pm
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:24 pm

so a mini rtw, but stop in MLE for a few days. pretty much this: YYZ-AUH-MLE, then MLE-BAH-ATH-YYZ
You didn't really answer the question.

If you're looking to do stopovers in all of those places, then you'll need to search each segment separately. Note that the concept of a mini-RTW doesn't existing anymore, nor does your trip actually go RTW.

Also note that some airlines (EY being one of them AFAIK) only release seats 330 days out, so you might be a little early to be searching.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:32 pm

The trip is to MLE. I know mini-rtw doesn't exist anymore, but I'm trying to book the segments within the AP zones. like YYZ-IST-MLE, but not sure on the way back then.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:44 pm

The trip is to MLE. I know mini-rtw doesn't exist anymore, but I'm trying to book the segments within the AP zones. like YYZ-IST-MLE, but not sure on the way back then.
All that matters is the region the destination is in, and the total mileage of all segments. Location of connections is largely irrelevant, Europe, Africa and the Middle East are all in the same Atlantic Zone anyway. If you aren't doing stopovers, then you just need to be searching YYZ-MLE.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:03 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I think you may need to be careful about your plan.
If you decide to add YYZ-YVR, I think it will cause AC to reprice the entire trip. The dynamically priced YYZ-YVR-TPE may cost more than you expect.
Well that's only one part of the problem, AC's search return very few results and omits long layover or multiple connections that have standand I class available and favor more direct routings with AC flights on dynamic pricing, so that's why I was asking if there are ways to get specific flights.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:34 pm

Anyone had luck recently cancelling a trip and not incurring a penalty? Was able to get significantly better flight times to Australia via AS/QF and would rather not pay the $150/ticket. Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jix
Well that's only one part of the problem, AC's search return very few results and omits long layover or multiple connections that have standand I class available and favor more direct routings with AC flights on dynamic pricing, so that's why I was asking if there are ways to get specific flights.
Yes. So search segment by segment is the only way to get the specific flights to show (if they're populating AC first)
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by jix
If you find the segments individually, you can try asking Aeroplan call center to piece together the itinerary.

I THINK if you involve AC flights, your routing needs to be a valid published fare, ie. you need to be able to buy the routing you want with cash.
Otherwise, the reward will end up pricing as 2 separate rewards.

Note: not sure if this is applicable if the AC flights are available in I class though.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
will it ? Can’t guarantee as there’s some dp of agents not savvy enough to ticket it. In that case HUCA

should it - Yes, provided you are not caught up with married segment routing restrictions on AUH - SEZ
So I got this booked now and had no issues at all! Had 2 really good agents that did it super quick!

The free changes came in handy!

Booked YYZ-AUH in J the day it became available for 85k. Called in and added AUH-SEZ 2 days later when it was available and paid the updated 100k points.

When AUH-YYZ became available for the return, I modified the existing booking to add SEZ-AUH with a 5 day stopover and then AUH-YYZ for the expected 105k points per person.

Just paid the taxes, no fees for the agent doing the book for the stopover because it was a modification with the fee waived.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I had 4 agents and 2 supervisors over 3 days last week, who could not get the system to add AUH-BAH-BKK to our 1-way YYZ-AUH award.

We were told many incorrect things over 3 days, adjusting our connection/date each day we tried once they told us we needed to modify some aspect. Finally they had us go checkin for the first segment at the airport as it was nearing the deadline. Thinking they would fix it later, I went along with that. Nope! "we removed the flights we added and you will need to buy on a separate ticket".

Result thus far is 3x 42.5k priority awards yyz-auh, and 3x 60k awards auh-bkk. BKK was our destination. Less than thrilled -- 172,500 more points, plus 3 extra $39 carrier fees, than it should have required. ​​

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 14, 2022 at 8:23 pm
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:13 pm

Newbie Aeroplan award booking question

Trying to book an award itinerary that is A-B-C, was able to see B-C J inventory for that segment but the A-B-C award that showed up on the search had only A-B in J and B-C in Y. While for individual A-B segments, I see both J and Y there.
​​​​​​
Is it possible to talk to an agent to have them marry the A-B and B-C both in J or even marrying an A-B in Y with a B-C in J? Thanks! (Not a stopover, just a layover)

Update: A being SFO, B being YYC and C being FRA here. B - C is through Finnair (partner) and there's both AC and United for the A-B segment

Last edited by greenteamuimui; Jun 18, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:31 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by loganre17
Yes. So search segment by segment is the only way to get the specific flights to show (if they're populating AC first)
Yeah that's what I tried at first with agent, but they can't seem to piece together in a single award. When the flights are found the system treats as multi city because of the specific segment I asked.

From what I can tell with 2 hours with agent, a one way ticket with stopover must be constructed as origin+stopover+destination without specifying any connection cities and the resulting flights they agents can choose are going to be identical with flights on ac.com when searching for one way origin>stopover and stopover>destination. Whatever online result shows up are going to be the same as phone agent. Those 2x or 3x connections with long overnight connections found on united.com will not be available since agent can't see them and manually forcing it will just result in multiple awards, even if AC/partner flights have I or X class for all segments.

I gave up on AC redemption after this, will use points for very direct last minute flights only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.