Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by out2gogo
Just feel lucky I didn't get stuck with having to book Egypt air or Ethiopian airlines as some of the scary choices into DXB
You do realize that in Y, Ethiopian has 2" more of legroom than AC, and EgyptAir has 3" inches more than AC, right?
Its AC Y thats scary.
Smiley90 and jugaadkabaap like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:22 pm

Interesting, didn't know about the legroom. We're not overly big people at all. Maybe seeing airlines safety rating has something to do with my bias even though I know the odds are like so low I'm just chicken. AC is not perfect either had several pilot incident ratings as well. Not going to keep researching so I can just get on the plane and enjoy my trip.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Interesting, didn't know about the legroom. We're not overly big people at all. Maybe seeing airlines safety rating has something to do with my bias even though I know the odds are like so low I'm just chicken. AC is not perfect either had several pilot incident ratings as well. Not going to keep researching so I can just get on the plane and enjoy my trip.
Is your trip for 4 pax in Y ? How many pax are traveling ?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:48 pm

Yup 4 in Y
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Yes, most are with AC.

YVR-YUL-ATH (stopover) shows up as 55k on Aug 1 all on AC
ATH-BAH-DXB shows up as 25k on Aug 9 on Gulf Air
DXB-YUL-YVR is 92.3k for Aug 19 all on AC

So I guess with dynamic AC, it's whatever they call it, probably no point calling in then. Due to this pandemic I had to book last min which is costing high points to even book in Y for 4 of us. Just feel lucky I didn't get stuck with having to book Egypt air or Ethiopian airlines as some of the scary choices into DXB. At least I had the chance to book my last MRW partly in J for way less points than what I'm shelling out this time, 3 years ago. For anyone thinking of going to ATH, someone on Tripadvisor called the airport and got a reply saying they don't do any random testing anymore in Athens. Before if one were to test positive it's a sure 5 days supervised isolation.

Thanks jugaadkabaap for your thoughts, appreciate it!
I got charged 170.1k plus 194 taxes, does this seem right to you guys? Thanks in advance for any input.
Yup 4 in Y
How about try doing this another way - book the same trip but do as follows
YVR - ATH and return ATH -> YVR with DXB as Stop over

Outbound
YVR- YUL - ATH - 55K (one way) - Keep as is (already priced)

Return
either keep ATH -BAH-DXB with GF as is

or try ATH-IST-DXB with TK as follows (availability is verified as of now)
Spoiler

and swap your DXB - YUL -YVR to one below (availability is verified as of now)
Spoiler

I am fairly confident that it should ticket (only doubt is because of that FRA-YVR AC segment) - give it a try.

If it works & if my guesstimate is right, that entire trip should be 55K + ~70K + 5K = ~130K + slightly more tax (approx 275-310$ in tax) / pax {savings of 40K AP / pax and additional 100-120$ in Tax}

For 4 pax - you will be saving around 160K AP. Btw if you are successful ticketing, you can treat me for 10% of savings or more
kalderlake likes this.

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Apr 25, 2022 at 9:19 pm
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:26 pm

Sure I'll have a look for sure and if I do change and have those savings I'll for sure contact you for compensation. I guess they can hold my current booking while they do a brand new search as per your outline to see if the AP points are less.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:29 pm

Sure I'll have a look for sure and if I do change and have those savings I'll for sure contact you for compensation. I guess they can hold my current booking while they do a brand new search as per your outline to see if the AP points are less.
Yup, you can ask the agent to work on your current file and quote you while keeping your original ticket intact and if its cheaper - proceed with the swap.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:15 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
How about try doing this another way - book the same trip but do as follows
YVR - ATH and return ATH -> YVR with DXB as Stop over

Outbound
YVR- YUL - ATH - 55K (one way) - Keep as is (already priced)

Return
either keep ATH -BAH-DXB with GF as is

or try ATH-IST-DXB with TK as follows (availability is verified as of now)
Spoiler

and swap your DXB - YUL -YVR to one below (availability is verified as of now)
Spoiler

I am fairly confident that it should ticket (only doubt is because of that FRA-YVR AC segment) - give it a try.

If it works & if my guesstimate is right, that entire trip should be 55K + ~70K + 5K = ~130K + slightly more tax (approx 275-310$ in tax) / pax {savings of 40K AP / pax and additional 100-120$ in Tax}

For 4 pax - you will be saving around 160K AP. Btw if you are successful ticketing, you can treat me for 10% of savings or more
After swapping to:

Aug 18 DXH-BAH-FRA GF air
Aug 19 FRA-YVR AC

Now 130.4k AP vs 170.1k original each. Music to my ears when rep said a refund of 157.6k. Taxes were 50 extra and should be 243 if I recall right in all, will have to check. Thanks
jugaadkabaap for the FRA suggestion. Glad you like my token of appreciation
kalderlake and jugaadkabaap like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
6-segment workaround

Does anybody know of any workarounds on the 6-segment limitation for single direction travel?

Im looking at booking YYC-LCA-PER-YYC but the only routings I can find to PER are 7 segments (something like YYC-YYZ-VIE-LCA, LCA-ATH-IST-SIN-PER, PER-SYD-YVR-YYC). Im wondering if there are any workarounds make this happen? Would it be valid to make my destination SIN and then call PER a stopover on my way home or if Im better to just buy a cash fare YYC-YYZ to start the trip from YYZ to stay within the rules?

Last edited by fly_yag; Apr 26, 2022 at 8:41 pm
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by fly_yag
Does anybody know of any workarounds on the 6-segment limitation for single direction travel.

I’m looking at booking YYC-LCA-PER-YYC but the only routings I can find to PER are 7 segments (something like YYC-YYZ-VIE-LCA, LCA-ATH-IST-SIN-PER, PER-SYD-YVR-YYC). I’m wondering if there are any workarounds make this happen? I am trying to figure out if it would be valid to make my destination SIN and then call PER a stopover on my way home or if I’m better to just buy a cash fare YYC-YYZ to start the trip from YYZ to stay within the rules?
Swap LCA-ATH-IST-SIN-PER with LCA-BAH-SIN-PER (LCA-BAH-SIN with GF)

I am guessing you are skipping the obvious YYC - FRA with AC because of insane pricing ?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
Swap LCA-ATH-IST-SIN-PER with LCA-BAH-SIN-PER (LCA-BAH-SIN with GF)

I am guessing you are skipping the obvious YYC - FRA with AC because of insane pricing ?
Thanks, unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any availability LCA-BAH-SIN for the dates that Im looking but Ill keep an eye out to see if anything opens up. As for YYC-FRA it doesnt work without a 23 hour connection in FRA (and even then has very sparse availability).
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by fly_yag
Thanks, unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any availability LCA-BAH-SIN for the dates that I’m looking but I’ll keep an eye out to see if anything opens up. As for YYC-FRA it doesn’t work without a 23 hour connection in FRA (and even then has very sparse availability).
Bummer. Worst case, breaking bound at SIN works to resolve your issue - you just need to have >24 hrs stop there.
Or you can book it as 2 separate oneways so that you can avoid the requirement of that 24 hrs stop & self-connect. Although you will need to convince LCA checkin agent to interline your bags to your second ticket (if you want bags checked all the way to PER) or self check bags by going through customs in SIN.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:04 am

Points certificate rebooking

Hi, I know this might not necessarily fall under "Complex Multi-City Bookings" but any help would be much appreciated: would it be possible to book a Biz Flexible Reward with points on a partner airline and then call AC to change it for a points certificate? (From a credit card). There is very limited availability on the route Im trying to book but it might take up to a couple of months until I receive the certificate. Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:27 am

Hi all - first time poster here at FlyerTalk, would really appreciate any guidance.

What I'm looking to accomplish
  • A Europe trip with my wife in J, dates are Oct 8-23
  • Ideal destination and stopovers are CDG, FCO and ATH (we are planning to fly from ATH to Santorini separately)
What I've worked out so far
  • I have booked a mini-rtw in the past, so am familiar with the old Aeroplan program, but not sure I fully understand the new Aeroplan
  • I've stumbled across the Cowtool here so have used that to help piece together my trip along with Great Circle Mapper and Flight Connections
  • The booking I had worked out was YYZ-LIS-FCO-ATH; ATH-CDG-YYZ
  • The trouble I'm having is that I cannot for the life of me find a way to get home from Europe to YYZ on anything other than AC metal. I've tried finding ways home from CDG, FCO and ATH through a stopover in practically every European and US airport and cannot find one that works. The only option I've found is to fly home from FRA or MUC in Economy.
Where I need help
  • If I understand the new redemption chart correctly, this trip should cost each person 70K each way + 10K for each stopover, but only IF all of my flights/segments are on partner airlines
  • Is it an option for me to fly AC home to YYZ? Will it significantly alter my points cost, even if I only fly a small leg of it home (i.e. from YUL or JFK) on AC metal? Because when I try looking at other options to get home thru AC, it's showing up at 150-300K+ for one way to get home which is obviously significantly more than if I did it all on partner airlines (unless I'm misunderstanding the new Aeroplan program)
  • Also, it's my understanding because I can't hit up the same airport twice, and you can only get to Santorini through Athens, I need to make Athens my Destination, and book and pay for flights separately from ATH to Santorini. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by obierice
Hi all - first time poster here at FlyerTalk, would really appreciate any guidance.
  • The trouble I'm having is that I cannot for the life of me find a way to get home from Europe to YYZ on anything other than AC metal. I've tried finding ways home from CDG, FCO and ATH through a stopover in practically every European and US airport and cannot find one that works. The only option I've found is to fly home from FRA or MUC in Economy.
There's multiple ways to fly from ATH - YYZ without AC provided you are flexible with layovers and partner availability exists. Try following routes

ATH - CPH - YYZ (with SK)
ATH - WAW - YYZ (with A3 & LO)
ATH - AUH - YYZ (with EY)
ATH - IST - YYZ (with TK)

Again all these depends on availability

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.