Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mjrobson
Looking to book YYZ-AUH-SEZ in J on EY with a 5 day stopover in AUH...

If I book YYZ-AUH right when it becomes available, can I add the AUH-SEZ segment a week later using the 1 waived change free?

Would reprice from 85k to 100k + 5k for stopover?
Do they still have the 1 waived change fee? I thought that was gone by now.

If yes, then yes, that's how it SHOULD work - I've done this in the past.
Old May 18, 2022, 5:58 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Quick question and hoping this is the best thread, so I don’t have to create a brand new one…

Will I face any issue booking a reverse round trip inside of a larger round trip? I’m looking at booking YYZ-FRA-NQZ round trip with me and my wife and kid. However I’m not staying the whole time they will, so I also want to book a round trip for just me NQZ-FRA-YYZ inside of the existing round trip for the 3 of us. It would all be AC ticketed with YYZ-FRA on AC and FRA-NQZ legs on LH.

I can’t imagine it’s a problem but just want to make sure there’s no issue with me coming home and then back out within a longer term round trip?
Old May 19, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Do they still have the 1 waived change fee? I thought that was gone by now.

If yes, then yes, that's how it SHOULD work - I've done this in the past.
Right now there are unlimited change until June 1st for anything booked by May 31st.

For anything booked by May 31st, you get 1 free change after June 1st.

Anything booked June 1st onward is standard fees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html
Old May 19, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjrobson
Right now there are unlimited change until June 1st for anything booked by May 31st.

For anything booked by May 31st, you get 1 free change after June 1st.

Anything booked June 1st onward is standard fees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html
Thanks, couldn't find it anymore. Mhmmm... Sucks that free cancellation is gone, but oh well.
Old May 19, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Thanks, couldn't find it anymore. Mhmmm... Sucks that free cancellation is gone, but oh well.
I was just going to ask about the free cancellation - so one would now have to make sure to book the higher rate awards then in order to cancel and get a full refund?
Old May 19, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I was just going to ask about the free cancellation - so one would now have to make sure to book the higher rate awards then in order to cancel and get a full refund?
That's the way I understand it, yes, which is why I'm hesitant, esp. if the booked travel even with a change has to be within a year of original booking. I MAY want to fly very far... but if I don't, I'm not sure I'll have another trip coming up in time to reschedule it for.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
That's the way I understand it, yes, which is why I'm hesitant, esp. if the booked travel even with a change has to be within a year of original booking. I MAY want to fly very far... but if I don't, I'm not sure I'll have another trip coming up in time to reschedule it for.
For award flights, the fee structure is on page 10 here: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...-policy-en.pdf

For an award, you can cancel up to 2 hours before online for the $150 / $75 fee depending on standard / flex or $150 for business lowest. Lat fare is free cancellation along with business flex.
SuperFlyBoy likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but figured I'ld add it somewhere:
- I booked LH C one way many months ago
- yesterday LH F on the same route became available
- I tried to change cabins but twice got told it was phantom availability that they could pull the seats but not ticket (after they even escalated to supervisor for ticketing)
- ultimately to secure the seats I gambled and canceled my business award online and rebooked as 1st (I saw the award availability through multiple partners)

So I ate the cancellation fee just because I wanted to make sure the seat didn't disappear. My thoughts are they most likely were having trouble changing from a business to first award on the same flight and it kept erring out. I'm willing to bet that if it was a different itinerary it wouldn't have been so difficult

FDW
Old May 24, 2022, 5:06 am

I tried to book a simple one way itinerary last night and multiple agents insisted it was to price as 2 separate flights rather than origin to destination, contrary to the AC award chart.

I was looking at YYZ-LIS-FAO all on TAP, and that should be 60k. There is availability on both flights, albeit the LIS-FAO is in Y, but the AC search engine won't pull it up together. I had at least 4 agents tell me it will price as 60k for YYZ-LIS and 7.5K for LIS-FAO. This doesn't make sense, and hasn't been my experience with the program since the changes were implemented a few years ago.

Has anyone else encountered this? It makes no sense since I could just stop in LIS for 24hrs+ and then the onward flight would be included with a 5k point cost for the stop. If one agent had of told me this, fine, but 4 saying the same thing has me concerned that AC is making up some new rules...

I encountered the same issue trying to book my return, they said FAO-LIS would price in addition to LIS-YYZ.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tylerc
I tried to book a simple one way itinerary last night and multiple agents insisted it was to price as 2 separate flights rather than origin to destination, contrary to the AC award chart.

I was looking at YYZ-LIS-FAO all on TAP, and that should be 60k. There is availability on both flights, albeit the LIS-FAO is in Y, but the AC search engine won't pull it up together. I had at least 4 agents tell me it will price as 60k for YYZ-LIS and 7.5K for LIS-FAO. This doesn't make sense, and hasn't been my experience with the program since the changes were implemented a few years ago.

Has anyone else encountered this? It makes no sense since I could just stop in LIS for 24hrs+ and then the onward flight would be included with a 5k point cost for the stop. If one agent had of told me this, fine, but 4 saying the same thing has me concerned that AC is making up some new rules...

I encountered the same issue trying to book my return, they said FAO-LIS would price in addition to LIS-YYZ.
Why can't you just book it online?
Old May 24, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Why can't you just book it online?
because

Originally Posted by tylerc
but the AC search engine won't pull it up together.
Perhaps you need to look up the fare rules and see why it can't be stitched together
Old May 24, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
because
Perhaps you need to look up the fare rules and see why it can't be stitched together
Fare rules and routing rules should not apply on all partner itineraries... so just another case of "computer says no" that cant be overridden due to the lack of long promised functional booking engine
Old May 24, 2022, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
because

My bad, I missed that.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Fare rules and routing rules should not apply on all partner itineraries... so just another case of "computer says no" that cant be overridden due to the lack of long promised functional booking engine
Married segments logic CAN apply to all-partner availability, so can other fare rules I think...
Old May 24, 2022, 8:21 am

My bad, I missed that.

Married segments logic CAN apply to all-partner availability, so can other fare rules I think...
The agents can book it, but it prices as 2 separate flights when YYZ LIS FAO is clearing within the 60k mileage range, so it should be a fixed rate partner redemption to Europe under 4k miles.

If I stopped for 24hrs a d paid the 5k stop fee there wouldn't be a charge for the 2nd flight, according to one agent. Whick makes sense. Partner awards are based on total distance flown. One agent referred to piecing together segments as cherry picking...as far as I can tell AC is not playing by their program rules.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Married segments would mean one is not available without booking the other with it.

So a to c via b is good but a to b or b to c alone is not.

Seems like in this case both segments are available but cant be married by AE for some reason.

OP check if the itinerary comes up via other search engines like United, Lifemiles or Aegean. That will tell you if it's an AC issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.