FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:05 am
pentiumvi

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
- I had a lot of issues with the circuitous routing rule (can't fly more than 100% the direct distance) as it applies within pairs inside the one-way (my understanding from blogs is that it's the whole trip, but that's not true). So even where the whole trip was only 80% more than direct, doing something like JFK-FRA-BAH-MCT-AUH-BKK would break it because of the backtracking within BAH-MCT-AUH (just 500 mi in nominal terms, but a massive 200% in % terms). Be mindful of your backtracking.
Very interesting information. Your original understanding seems to align with AP's official award rules PDF which states:

"Flight Reward itineraries built in a circuitous manner may be permitted so long
as the cumulative flown distance between the origin and destination does not
exceed twice the non-stop distance for a given direction of travel."

Originally Posted by letsflyflyaway
Hi everyone! My first post here and I'm new to award travel, but trying to start big! The goal is to achieve a 110k (105k + 5k stopover) redemption from North America to Pacific, via Atlantic. I spent a few hours on the phone with two seemingly knowledgable agents but they both quoted 35-55k higher than I expected. I don't think there's backtracking, circuitous routing, or exceeding 6 segments, but I must still be missing something. Would someone mind pointing out where I went wrong in the below two itineraries?

Parameters:
  • All flights are in business class (J), unless otherwise noted
  • No AC flights
  • Layovers are <24 hours
  • Ideally would like a stopover in Jordan
  • CAI and MCT aren't important layovers. Preference is to fly direct and do more layovers in Asia if possible (ie: I would've preferred to fly direct from NYC to AUH or BAH as a stopover, pay cash RT fares to Jordan, and then continue the journey onto Asia with another direct flight)
#1: Agent confirmed as one bound for 145,000 points
  1. JFK - CAI - 5,614 mi on MS
  2. CAI - AMM - 294 mi on MS
    **Stopover**"
  3. AMM - IST - 772 mi on TK
  4. IST - MCT - 2,095 mi on WY
  5. MCT - BKK - 2,855 mi on WY
    **this fare in F class**"
Total: 11,630 mi

#2: Agent confirmed as one bound for 155,000 points
  1. <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->JFK - CAI - 5,614 mi on MS
  2. CAI - AMM - 294 mi on MS
    **Stopover**
  3. AMM - MCT - 1,473 mi on TK
  4. MCT - BKK - 2,855 mi on WY
  5. BKK - ICN - 2,277 mi on TG

Total: 12,513 mi
I'm also open to any suggestions for a one-way bound from US East Coast to Asia, via Europe/the Middle East, ideally ending in ICN/NRT/HND, ideally with at least one layover in Asia. Thank you in advance!
Your first route I think is priced correctly. You're at 11,001+ miles between NA and Pacific in FIRST, which comes to 140k + 5k stop-over.

For your second route, maybe it's cause it's over 100% of direct JFK-ICN distance? You list AMM-MCT on TK, but that should actually be AMM-IST-MCT right?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 10, 2022 at 12:41 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user