Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
YYZ - LHR direct flight is 345k points via AC, but if I plug in YYZ-BKK it adds previously flight mentioned as a connection for 1/3 of the points. Would it be possible to book YYZ-BKK only to call aeroplan and cancel the LHR-BKK?
Unforunetaly my account prohibits me from posting photo or url link but see example below:

August 27th 2022
YYZ-LHR Nonstop 344k points
YYZ-LHR-BKK 140k points
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Isn't it so typical of AC IT that if you include any of their metal it won't work!
It has nothing to do with AC IT, it has everything to do with it needing to be a valid routing on the underlying cash fare when an AC segment is used.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by danreech1234
YYZ - LHR direct flight is 345k points via AC, but if I plug in YYZ-BKK it adds previously flight mentioned as a connection for 1/3 of the points. Would it be possible to book YYZ-BKK only to call aeroplan and cancel the LHR-BKK?
Unforunetaly my account prohibits me from posting photo or url link but see example below:

August 27th 2022
YYZ-LHR-BKK 140k points
No, if you change the itinerary, it'll get re-priced accordingly.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee

August 27th 2022
YYZ-LHR-BKK 140k points
Those are two different flights so no. One is between Toronto and London, UK whereas the other is between Toronto and Bangkok, Thailand. The fact that you may be on the exact same flight for the segment YYZ > LHR is strictly incidental. To give you more specifics why it costs a whole lot less to fly to BKK than to LHR out of YYZ it has to do with the actual flight construction. Toronto to London on AC is a pure Air Canada itinerary meaning it is subject to dynamic pricing. However, when you mix partner and Air Canada flights, the most significant carrier (MSC) appears to dictate which pricing system is used. Toronto to Heathrow is a short 7 hour flight whereas Heathrow to Bangkok is an 11 hour 30 minute flight. Hence, the most significant carrier in this itinerary is the partner Eva Air and therefore partner award pricing is what is used (despite there being an AC segment). That being said it gets a bit more complicated when you add an AC segment in terms of routing rules which is why many simply avoid flying AC J and stick with partner awards.

The good news is there are plenty of better options anyways for that departure including United's Polaris to LHR which will also enable you to use their excellent Polaris lounge at EWR:

-RooFlyer88

Last edited by kangarooflyer88; Aug 25, 2022 at 1:45 pm Reason: Further explanation
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

August 27th 2022
YYZ-LHR-BKK 140k points
no, the same way that this also wouldn't work for a cash booking.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:29 pm

Dumb question, I've got a round trip booking, outbound mix of AC and partner, inbound partner only.

Is it possible to call and cancel just the outbound, and have the inbound remain intact without reprice?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Dumb question, I've got a round trip booking, outbound mix of AC and partner, inbound partner only.

Is it possible to call and cancel just the outbound, and have the inbound remain intact without reprice?
Repricing is a moot point since partner awards are fixed points anyway
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well, it will reprice to the fixed partner cost of the return (i.e. you get a refund). But there's no dynamic component to that.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well, it will reprice to the fixed partner cost of the return (i.e. you get a refund). But there's no dynamic component to that.
Right, dumb question

So in essence, I should be able to drop/cancel the outbound, and get a refund for that leg, and keep my inbound.

What if the inbound contained AC legs? Would that trigger re-price, even though I'm attempting to modify the outbound only? If so, is this the scenario where booking 2 one-ways may be beneficial vs booking as a RT?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Right, dumb question

So in essence, I should be able to drop/cancel the outbound, and get a refund for that leg, and keep my inbound.
That's correct. You will be liable to pay a change/cancellation fee for dropping the outbound but otherwise, yeah you can keep the inbound as is, and they'll refund you whatever the outbound cost.

-RooFlyer88
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:12 pm

Booked all in business class for Oct/Nov - 201,100 points:
AC: YWG-YYZ
AC: YYZ-IAD
ET: IAD-ADD
ET: ADD-JRO (Destination-Open Jaw)
ET: DAR-ADD
ET: ADD-AMM (Stopover)
MS: AMM-CAI
MS: CAI-YYZ
AC: YYZ-YWG

I was hoping to be able to find something through MCT or AUH but wasn't able to make it work for my dates. But considering this is less than 2 months out I'm pretty pumped to have booked all in J for the full journey.
I'm still a bit confused by the points - using gcmap I was expecting a 100,000 points per direction plus 5000 for the stopover for a minimum total of 205,000. A hick-up in the system or perhaps the dynamic pricing worked in my favor??

Also a huge great big thanks to canadiancow for cowtool!!!
unclepants and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kitikat
I'm still a bit confused by the points - using gcmap I was expecting a 100,000 points per direction plus 5000 for the stopover for a minimum total of 205,000. A hick-up in the system or perhaps the dynamic pricing worked in my favor??
Do you have status or an Aeroplan credit card? If so, I'm not sure whether that's dynamic pricing helping you out or the status/CC discount kicking in on the AC legs.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Do you have status or an Aeroplan credit card? If so, I'm not sure whether that's dynamic pricing helping you out or the status/CC discount kicking in on the AC legs.
​​​​​​No status but I do have an infinite aeroplan card. I didn't realize there was a potential for points discount with the card.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:58 pm

Pretty simple one but it took a long time on the phone. A couple HUCA and then I got involuntarily disconnected a few times.

YTZ-YUL-ZRH (stop)

ZRH-AUH-MLE

First leg on AC, second on LX last two on EY

we are three in J. One ticket ends in AUH because they couldn’t do mixed cabin itinerary on EY. That one was 90k and the two to MLE 105k
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Pretty simple one but it took a long time on the phone. A couple HUCA and then I got involuntarily disconnected a few times.

YTZ-YUL-ZRH (stop)

ZRH-AUH-MLE

First leg on AC, second on LX last two on EY

we are three in J. One ticket ends in AUH because they couldn’t do mixed cabin itinerary on EY. That one was 90k and the two to MLE 105k
Been having similar issue w/ trying to combine EY + AC recently...
You said one ticket ends in AUH. Curious how your other 2x tickets went through with the combination of AC + EY segments? All J ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.