Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vancouver25k
As of July 2022, MLLs appear to be largely back to normal operations.

Ordering to the table has been shut down, with most MLLs offering self-serve buffets similar to what was available pre-COVID.

Note that the EWR MLL has been permanently shut down as a result of changes/construction at EWR.

Showers
YYZ​​​​​​ int - closed (Aug 12. They claimed all showers closed at YYZ but I was only at int.)
YVR tb - open
YVR int - open
YUL int - open

Print Wikipost

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by quinzinho
UA Club. I was so happy to stay there a couple of hours. YYZ Domestic is an absolute disgrace. Being refused entry at first due to "crowdedness". Then 1 staff corrects the other, lets me in. It's 2/3 full max. Warm food is just terrible. No buffet. Garbage everywhere, not cleaned up. Poor food choices. Old, run down furniture. Brrr, abysmal.
Warm Food taste like alternative reality chocolate ice cream ✔️
Garbage Everywhere ✔️
Ladies can't clean up fast enough ✔️
Poor food choices ✔️
Sounds like the YYZ Domestic I know... 😒

Sorry I guess I just typically reserve the world "Disgrace" for some lounges in Dumpy 3rd countries is all
Once you've seen swarms of hungry mosquitoes in a lounge, you won't think YYZ Domestic is THAT bad...

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
I always found the MLL domestic buffet food to be awful. I don't recall anything that I would be happy to eat if it wasn't free. Did anyone actually enjoy choking down the congealed alfredo sauce on the penne? I am not a soup guy, so maybe the ubiquitous cream of brocolli was OK, and I have no idea. Like I've said before, if I want an actual meal I prefer to go to a restaurant and pay for it. MLL is where I kill a couple of hours in relative comfort and lack of crowding with cushy chairs,free snacks and booze. Breakfast is fine, but then again I'm not a big breakfast eater. I actually find the delivered offerings more palatable, but still only consider them snacks. YVR and rarely YYZ recently so others might be better.
While I won't say the old penne alfredo was appetizing, because it wasn't.
The current YYZ Spinach & Mushroom penne I reckon is even worse, because the ladies delivering the paper boxes tends to take too long.

Kinda sad when one's comparison is
Lukewarm Penne Alfredo vs. Cold Spinach and Mushroom Penne.

After my last YYZ trip, I can't see myself ordering the Penne or the Sweet/Sour Meatballs again.
Both are 🤮

As for the soup (past & present), I would put it as Fast Food grade, but its still better than the above two where teenagers going through puberty won't want to eat it.

Maybe I'm somewhat YVR biased but at least the selections I've had were Fast food grade, Edible?

Which YYZ afternoon selection is palatable?

This is my personal ranking, so results might vary
Buffalo Chicken Taco 😑
Sweet & Sour Meatball 🤮
Spinach & Mushroom Penne 🤮🤮
Saffron & Califlower Soup (Not Bad) 🙂
Pepperoni Pizza (Haven't tried)
Panna Cotta 🙂

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's odd. While the quantity of the meat has been severely lacking, I've found the quality of the meat to be surprisingly decent. Although with me not UFPing anymore, perhaps their calculations got out of whack and they had way too much meat sitting around
Still very little meat as of two weeks ago.

But then again, let's not give the company any more ideas.😆
Grade F meat or worse

painintheuk and Duff76 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by quinzinho
Well ORD UA lounges are way, way better than MLL YYZ in my opinion. YYZ domestic is an absolute dump.
I'll be flying CPH-YYZ-SFO this summer in J. At YYZ, will I have access to the international MLL, or will I have to first clear immigration and customs and then have access only to the domestic MLL?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I'll be flying CPH-YYZ-SFO this summer in J. At YYZ, will I have access to the international MLL, or will I have to first clear immigration and customs and then have access only to the domestic MLL?
Neither.

You will clear security and US preclearance, and then have access to the transborder MLL.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You will clear security and US preclearance, and then have access to the transborder MLL.
Thanks. How is the transborder MLL, is it as bad as the domestic MLL as some people think? (I've been in the transborder MLL once before and thought it was OK, but that was around 5 years ago.)
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Thanks. How is the transborder MLL, is it as bad as the domestic MLL as some people think? (I've been in the transborder MLL once before and thought it was OK, but that was around 5 years ago.)
These days I think it's basically the same? Historically it was the worst of the three.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
It all comes down to expectation.
If you're expecting QR Al Mourjan or CX Pier, yes you'll be vastly disappointed.

If your expectation is Coffee/Tea/Water/Soft Drink, Basic Boozes + Snack + Wifi/Power plug, its still fine for a quiet place to sit down.
Worst case, flag down one of the ladies to clean up the tables quicker or bring your own wet wipes LOL

And as said above, just stay away from some of the hot food choices!
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Please update YVR Dom MLL afternoon menu

I am unable to update the wiki at this time with the screenshot
fireside chili
butter chickpea curry
mushroom flatbread
mac n cheese
hawksworth sweet pea arancini
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Looks like AC finally updated the menus. Beef sliders back at YYC. I wonder whether they'll be as good as the 2020 version. Lots of changes at YYZ and YUL as well.
The Lev, canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I am unable to update the wiki at this time with the screenshot
fireside chili
butter chickpea curry
mushroom flatbread
mac n cheese
hawksworth sweet pea arancini
Looks like it wasn't just YVR Domestic menu that changed.
YYZ Domestic and YUL Domestic both changed too.
Question is which item(s) are edible for this cycle?

YVR Domestic
<NOTE - MENU DELETED AT THE REQUEST OF MODERATOR AND NUMBER OF USERS>

YYZ Domestic

YUL Domestic
m.y and bcnfish like this.

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Feb 18, 2022 at 12:26 pm Reason: Menu deleted upon Request, Refer to Post 2043
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Nice to see some changes...

Pics look good but anyone tried any of the new dishes yet?

And for YVR DOM MLLL, are the Grab + go options the same with the wraps etc?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:51 pm

Line of 6 that hasn't moved in a bit at YUL domestic this evening. I've been spoiled.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Nice to see some changes...

Pics look good but anyone tried any of the new dishes yet?

And for YVR DOM MLLL, are the Grab + go options the same with the wraps etc?

YVR Grab+Go menu

Not sure why this happened but the Chef Hawksworth's Sweet Pea Arancini option was missing tonight.
The Cream of Mushroom soup option is now showing up on alatable in its place

As for the new dishes, photos as follows
Food Temperature for all 4 dishes were served warm - hot.
All 4 dishes met "Fast Food Grade" or better.

Fireside Chili Beef

- Super Spicy no, but can give one a mild watery nose (for the non-spicy food eaters)
- Could be slightly thicker with more Beef LOL 🤪

Butter Chickpea Curry

*Caveat - I'm generally not a Curry eater so I'm hesitant to give suggestion on this item
- Firstly, Portion, whomever in the backroom put alot of food into the box.
- Served equivalent to restaurant food temperature
- The Potent smell of curry can be smelled when opening the box (which can be good or bad)
- However it wasn't spicy and its rather hard to define an actual taste
- Rice was cooked correctly

Mushroom Flatbread

- Served lukewarm to warm,
- I would say taste is similar to Delissio grade or slightly above it.
- The photo is rather self explanatory for this option
- Provided it's served warm, I actually like this option the most.

Cream of Mushroom Soup

- Someone else describe this one next time they're around
- It's heavy, too heavy even with the very small chopped pieces of mushrooms inside...

And the 600ml Dasani bottles are now 330ml Naya bottles sitting on the Self-Serve bar.
vancouver25k likes this.

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Feb 18, 2022 at 12:25 pm Reason: Menu deleted upon request, Refer to Post 2043
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:05 am

YYZ Transborder

Park special is the cauliflower soup
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: AC*SE 100K
Those Buffalo Chicken Tacos were absolutely awful last time I tried them. Wonder if they've gotten any better.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by streetcircusdan
Those Buffalo Chicken Tacos were absolutely awful last time I tried them. Wonder if they've gotten any better.
I don't think it was awful, but it was definitely on the salty side, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.