Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vancouver25k
As of July 2022, MLLs appear to be largely back to normal operations.

Ordering to the table has been shut down, with most MLLs offering self-serve buffets similar to what was available pre-COVID.

Note that the EWR MLL has been permanently shut down as a result of changes/construction at EWR.

Showers
YYZ​​​​​​ int - closed (Aug 12. They claimed all showers closed at YYZ but I was only at int.)
YVR tb - open
YVR int - open
YUL int - open

Print Wikipost

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I'd prefer never to return to buffet. Not covid-related, just 'cause ppl are icky in general. That said, even at YVR there's been a post-covid decline, the arancini used to be more arancini-ish, now it's getting sawdusty.

As for the Elevation Lounge, it could definitely be considered competition to "elevate" the offerings ... if in more than one airport, but with YYC as the only station offering it, currently it's not much of a threat.
I’m fine with no buffet. I’m fine with a la carte. I’m even fine with only grab-and-go. Just please make the quality at least comparable to a Subway or something…
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by capedreamer
I’m fine with no buffet. I’m fine with a la carte. I’m even fine with only grab-and-go. Just please make the quality at least comparable to a Subway or something…
It hasn’t been like that for a long time, nor do I expect AC to somehow improve in the near future.

I find it easier to forget about MLL altogether and just spend $10 or $30 at an airport restaurant, than worrying about AC status and lounge access. Flying domestically in Canada is no longer an “enjoyment” for me, it’s more of a “I will do it if I have to” type of thing.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If I want a meal, the MLL is not where I go. The COVID changes have improved the "meal" options, but not to a point where I'd change that opinion.

You'll live a much more pleasant life if you set your expectations to a reasonable level and don't complain about everything that doesn't meet them.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by quinzinho
Well ORD UA lounges are way, way better than MLL YYZ in my opinion. YYZ domestic is an absolute dump.
Are we comparing UA Club or Polaris Lounge?

Agree with the point about competition. From what I’ve seen (courtesy of @24left), WJ’s new lounge at YYC is quite nice. I guess AC doesn’t view WJ as enough of a threat given its limited network.

In any case, I know I’m not breaking any new ground here, but I was actually reasonably satisfied with MLL catering prior to Covid. My comment up thread was meant as a lament that AC seems to be in no rush to return to normal in this regard in North America, whereas the LH / LX / OS lounges I’ve been to, as well as MLLs in Europe, seem to have done that. And the latter is what genuinely perplexes me: Does AC face more competitive pressure abroad than at home? Wouldn’t AC J / *G customers in Europe be quite content using Senator and other *G lounges if the international MLLs didn’t exist?
I agree the WS Elevation lounge is a good start, now can WS duplicated the lounge across the network + join an alliance is a billion dollar question?
Personally I know of 2 person (both non-FTer) who are WS Gold, and all they fly are US/Canada/Sun and WS works for them and good for them.
However anyone with long haul int'l flying, what are the chances WS works for you?

Yes I would say AC faces more competitive pressure aboard vs. home market.
Fare + now gone SQD non-Canadian address waivers are solid evidence of that.

As for your last question, some analyst in a back office probably figure out it's better to rent some lounge space vs. paying other * partners for access.

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief

As for the Elevation Lounge, it could definitely be considered competition to "elevate" the offerings ... if in more than one airport, but with YYC as the only station offering it, currently it's not much of a threat.
+1 on this one

At this point, I just expect the MLL to offer coffee + non-alcoholic beverage + fast food grade food + power outlet.

For the last point, I agree YYZ Domestic food is "pick a swear word of your choice" ...
The table cleaning, and the food delivery at YYZ is equally just as bad too.

Now I kinda wish I had more sample size vs. just YVR/YYZ/YUL/LGA MLL
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Are we comparing UA Club or Polaris Lounge?
UA Club. I was so happy to stay there a couple of hours. YYZ Domestic is an absolute disgrace. Being refused entry at first due to "crowdedness". Then 1 staff corrects the other, lets me in. It's 2/3 full max. Warm food is just terrible. No buffet. Garbage everywhere, not cleaned up. Poor food choices. Old, run down furniture. Brrr, abysmal.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 2, 2022 at 6:35 pm Reason: Profanity
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:01 pm

Since I brought up the MLL vs. *G comparison, figured I'd stop by both the MLL and Senator Lounge at FRA this morning. Mods, feel free to remove the Senator Lounge photos if they're not allowed here. (TLDR is that they're very comparable, though I slightly prefer the Senator Lounge because of the Bircher Müsli.)

FRA MLL:

FRA Senator Lounge (B Gates):

Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:08 pm

Since I brought up the MLL vs. *G comparison, figured I'd stop by both the MLL and Senator Lounge at FRA this morning. Mods, feel free to remove the Senator Lounge photos if they're not allowed here. (TLDR is that they're very comparable, though I slightly prefer the Senator Lounge because of the Bircher Müsli.)
FRA MLL:
FRA Senator Lounge (B Gates):
Thanks for the photos. Are the 2 lounges located near each other, so that it's easy to lounge hop?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Thanks for the photos. Are the 2 lounges located near each other, so that it's easy to lounge hop?
Yup. 2 min walk apart.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Nice to see the buffet offerings are back at some MLLs. I would like to see them return across the board. Knowing what we now know about COVID, I feel like the risk of transmission through a buffet is basically non-existent.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:38 pm

Yul meat

Last time I was in yul I really wanted the smoked meat sandwich. I waited almost am hour and had to leave. Today it showed up in less than a minute. I think they've been holding the same sandwich since November!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
Heading through YUL Intl MLL on Saturday, can anyone confirm if the showers are still open?

Originally Posted by jinxer226
In the YUL International MLL, double vaccine required, open until 20:00 to co-ordinate with last international AC flight. Maze setup, expect to go around the whole lounge just to get a drink if you follow the arrows.

DYKWIA walking around the tight space asking everybody to give him 6ft.

Surprised to see the showers were open.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: AC 75k
I always found the MLL domestic buffet food to be awful. I don't recall anything that I would be happy to eat if it wasn't free. Did anyone actually enjoy choking down the congealed alfredo sauce on the penne? I am not a soup guy, so maybe the ubiquitous cream of brocolli was OK, and I have no idea. Like I've said before, if I want an actual meal I prefer to go to a restaurant and pay for it. MLL is where I kill a couple of hours in relative comfort and lack of crowding with cushy chairs,free snacks and booze. Breakfast is fine, but then again I'm not a big breakfast eater. I actually find the delivered offerings more palatable, but still only consider them snacks. YVR and rarely YYZ recently so others might be better.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 12:00 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Last time I was in yul I really wanted the smoked meat sandwich. I waited almost am hour and had to leave. Today it showed up in less than a minute. I think they've been holding the same sandwich since November!
No, I'm sure they've restocked since then. Don't you remember when a friend and I got in trouble because we ate all the smoked meat?
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
No, I'm sure they've restocked since then. Don't you remember when a friend and I got in trouble because we ate all the smoked meat?
I don't know. It definitely seemed stale enough to be held over!
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:51 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I don't know. It definitely seemed stale enough to be held over!
That's odd. While the quantity of the meat has been severely lacking, I've found the quality of the meat to be surprisingly decent. Although with me not UFPing anymore, perhaps their calculations got out of whack and they had way too much meat sitting around
painintheuk and Bohemian1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.