Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
A flight attendant shook me awake three hours into my journey (I was asleep in J in the early hours of AC 33) to tell me my mask had slipped below my nose and to tell me I had to fix it. I wasn’t able to get back to sleep after that…
No way!!! Wow!! Recently?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Joroy70
No way!!! Wow!! Recently?
Yeah, just a couple of weeks ago. To be fair, I had a sense something like that would happen: she was wearing goggles, gloves, two masks, plastic "bib," etc. I suppose she could either be particularly vulnerable to COVID or just especially concerned about it. But either way, I don't think she really had to wake me from a dead sleep for that...
karachi and Joroy70 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
We were literally the only people at YOW security today, and there’s only one other person in the MLL.

Weird vibes.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by YOWgary
We were literally the only people at YOW security today, and there’s only one other person in the MLL.

Weird vibes.
I remember being at YVR transborder in September 2020 and there were a grand total of SIX flights scheduled that day. it was surreal.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

Weird vibes.
I was across the hall at the Aspire Lounge enjoying hot food, lol
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: Air Canada

Weird vibes.
Damn. Got off the elevator at YYZ domestic at 7:15 this morning to be greeted by a lineup for the at-capacity MLL. Dude at the desk was directing people to the cafe as an alternate, so I gave it a go. Not bad!
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Turns out everyone who wasn't at YOW this morning, is definitely now at YUL Intl with ten friends each.

They've just announced "anyone who leaves the lounge now, may have to wait up to an hour to be re-admitted, so we advise you not to leave until you're ready to go to your gate".
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by maple_covered_kiwi
Damn. Got off the elevator at YYZ domestic at 7:15 this morning to be greeted by a lineup for the at-capacity MLL. Dude at the desk was directing people to the cafe as an alternate, so I gave it a go. Not bad!
I'll take the cafe over the lounge any day.
anishm and mathemagic like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
A flight attendant shook me awake three hours into my journey (I was asleep in J in the early hours of AC 33) to tell me my mask had slipped below my nose and to tell me I had to fix it. I wasn’t able to get back to sleep after that…
This isn't all that different than being woken up because your seatbelt is not buckled. The flight attendant, however annoying this is, was just following Transport Canada rules.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by mathemagic
This isn't all that different than being woken up because your seatbelt is not buckled. The flight attendant, however annoying this is, was just following Transport Canada rules.
Agreed. She was within her rights. But I wouldn't have minded a bit of leniency (as, indeed, the crew showed on the way home when the same thing happened).
Old Jul 30, 2022, 5:49 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zappy312
Not that it's policy, but I've had a Jazz crew in J who was lax about masking for crew interactions during meal service. The other pax tried to put their mask on during meal service when they came by to drop off something, but the FA told them not to worry about it.
So far this year I have found crew to be relatively lax on TATL service during meals, but less so at any other point in the flight. Most people took off their masks for meal service and didn’t put them back on when interacting with crew for drinks, etc… This is even in the case on flights with FA’s wearing full gear.

However, as soon as meal service is done it reverts back. The masking between sips thing seemed crazy to me, but I got called on it with an after-service cognac. That was in March though. They seem to have softened quite a bit in the summer on my flights, although only to a point. LH, who also have a government imposed mask mandate seem to have basically given up enforcing it now, at least on service to Central Asia, where upon landing no one is wearing masks anymore. I have a return NQZ-FRA-YYZ on Monday, we’ll see how it goes.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by wjw
So far this year I have found crew to be relatively lax on TATL service during meals, but less so at any other point in the flight. Most people took off their masks for meal service and didn’t put them back on when interacting with crew for drinks, etc… This is even in the case on flights with FA’s wearing full gear.

However, as soon as meal service is done it reverts back. The masking between sips thing seemed crazy to me, but I got called on it with an after-service cognac. That was in March though. They seem to have softened quite a bit in the summer on my flights, although only to a point. LH, who also have a government imposed mask mandate seem to have basically given up enforcing it now, at least on service to Central Asia, where upon landing no one is wearing masks anymore. I have a return NQZ-FRA-YYZ on Monday, we’ll see how it goes.
I saw another passenger get called out for the in-between sips masking, because in the FA's (very true) words, "otherwise people would just keep an open can of soda in front of them all flight and pretend to be constantly drinking and would never mask, and that'd defeat the purpose". Wise words, because I've seen that exact behaviour "suggested" here on FT by people who want to circumvent the mask mandates. I was happy to see the FA's were onto that!
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:14 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I saw another passenger get called out for the in-between sips masking, because in the FA's (very true) words, "otherwise people would just keep an open can of soda in front of them all flight and pretend to be constantly drinking and would never mask, and that'd defeat the purpose". Wise words, because I've seen that exact behaviour "suggested" here on FT by people who want to circumvent the mask mandates. I was happy to see the FA's were onto that!
While I appreciate the circumstances are outside of AC’s control being a TC mandate, the “defeating the purpose” pretty much flies out the window when the entire plane doffs their masks for 45 minutes during meal service. You can put them back on as much as you want afterwards, but any potential damage has been done by that point.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by wjw
While I appreciate the circumstances are outside of AC’s control being a TC mandate, the “defeating the purpose” pretty much flies out the window when the entire plane doffs their masks for 45 minutes during meal service. You can put them back on as much as you want afterwards, but any potential damage has been done by that point.
I disagree. Transmission of covid is not on/off, it depends on the time of exposure as well. Keeping masks off for a minimum time does help to reduce transmission. Masks might be annoying, but they are helping out one demographic that has not yet had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated: kids under 5. I've seen mixed enforcement on AC flights lately, but always happy to see them be strict, even if it's irritating.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:23 am

It really depends on the crew, I had flights where a guy next to me had a glass of wine for 5h in J in front of him with no mask.

Then some if its under you're nose go crazy.

But lately its been less restrictive.

Will see tomorrow on my YUL-BCN how it goes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.