Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:33 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mathemagic
I disagree. Transmission of covid is not on/off, it depends on the time of exposure as well. Keeping masks off for a minimum time does help to reduce transmission. Masks might be annoying, but they are helping out one demographic that has not yet had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated: kids under 5. I've seen mixed enforcement on AC flights lately, but always happy to see them be strict, even if it's irritating.
With a kid under 2 I couldn’t disagree with you more, but I’ll leave it as I can’t see any good coming from going down further argument about this. Happy flying!
commaspace likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Joroy70
It really depends on the crew, I had flights where a guy next to me had a glass of wine for 5h in J in front of him with no mask.

Then some if its under you're nose go crazy.

But lately its been less restrictive.

Will see tomorrow on my YUL-BCN how it goes
How was the experience?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:50 am

Went well, pretty relax, forgot my mask after eating and falling asleep right away, woke up anxious lol but nobody said anything, put it back on and ended watching my baby sleep in my pod for the last 2 hours!

only complain was the AC wasnt working properly it was so hot in here!!!
commaspace likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by Joroy70
Went well, pretty relax, forgot my mask after eating and falling asleep right away, woke up anxious lol but nobody said anything, put it back on and ended watching my baby sleep in my pod for the last 2 hours!

only complain was the AC wasnt working properly it was so hot in here!!!
I somehow woke up with my mask under my chin - no issue. Had a conversation with my FA without a mask - no issue (I was having breakfast as he came over). I saw the entire AC crew for the ex-VIE flight - no one wearing masks in the terminal. I totally go by the book with Covid and certainly wasn’t trying to get around the rules, but you can tell that people are done with it - myself included.
Joroy70 and commaspace like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
From a non-FT colleague:

"A new one on today's flight. The flight attendant started literally screaming mid-safety speech because she saw a spider. Refused to go on until a passenger went up and stomped it dead. She then composed herself and continued without acknowledging the whole thing."
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:23 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Poor spider.

At least they didn't cancel the flight for safety reasons.
vernonc, canopus27 and YOWgary like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Has the AC policy ended ? The one where you could change flights due to airport delays at no cost ? Concierge says that all changes must now be paid unless AC cancels/changes flight.
If its still valid, can someone send me the link ?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Poor spider.

At least they didn't cancel the flight for safety reasons.
Really seems more like a crew constraint.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:01 pm

I'm absolutely baffled.

Arriving from Athens today, we hadn't even left the main runway before the announcements started that we'd be held aboard for an unspecified length of time to control the flow of passengers arriving at Customs.

Instead, we pulled up to the gate, walked right off the plane, and I was third in line at Customs. Absolutely deserted of passengers, and every Customs booth staffed with an agent.

Wheels down to MLL Dom, 26 minutes. I was expecting at least an hour and a half.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I'm absolutely baffled.

Arriving from Athens today, we hadn't even left the main runway before the announcements started that we'd be held aboard for an unspecified length of time to control the flow of passengers arriving at Customs.

Instead, we pulled up to the gate, walked right off the plane, and I was third in line at Customs. Absolutely deserted of passengers, and every Customs booth staffed with an agent.

Wheels down to MLL Dom, 26 minutes. I was expecting at least an hour and a half.
Had the same announcement and situation last week arriving from Miami. Other than that, it was much more pleasant that I expected, Signature lounge with very friendly atmosphere and flights itself not really much of a hassle.
Flying daytime MUC-YYZ next week, so I am curious how that will be.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I'm absolutely baffled.

Been experiencing this since April of this year. I or we usually get off first as they allow those with confirmed boarding passes on a connecting flight off right away. I find that we are the only ones in customs, especially in YYZ when we are upstairs and not going to the main lobby where you need to leave back out and repeat security (this is such a waste of time, this simple removal would save a lot of time). In YUL when you get to that one station as you seem to have your Boarding pass scanned fifteen times (again time waster here) you avoid the useless secondary security and go right to the domestic gate.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:47 pm

Had a really strange service experience in J today on AC 114 YVR-YYZ. The short version - it was super rushed and soulless.

It started with no nuts or post-takeoff beverage. Instead, after takeoff they immediately went into lunch service, at which point we were offered some wine. For the first and last time.

Appetizers were cleared immediately and mains very quickly followed. No top ups or second glasses of wine were offered. I was still eating my main when they sent somone to take my tray.

Dessert quickly followed where they actually did offer another drink. And then the cabin crew basically dissappeared.

For me, the whole thing felt weird and did not resemble the AC J service that I am used to. I really can't articulate it better other than to say that this was almost like Rapidair service, on a route that's 4.5 hours long.

Really strange and, while the service wasn't actually bad, I'd call it perfunctory and very rushed. And No, there wasn't a bunch of mid to late flight turbulence either.

I'm not somone who wants a ton of drinks during a flight. But I'm also someone who doesn't want a J service experience to rival McDonald's either.

Since I assume that the SD sets the overall game plan for service , I'll put this on him. If so, I hope I'm never on another flight where he is SD.

Without a doubt, one of the most mediocre J service experiences I've had on AC for a while.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Had a really strange service experience in J today on AC 114 YVR-YYZ. The short version - it was super rushed and soulless.

It started with no nuts or post-takeoff beverage. Instead, after takeoff they immediately went into lunch service, at which point we were offered some wine. For the first and last time.

Appetizers were cleared immediately and mains very quickly followed. No top ups or second glasses of wine were offered. I was still eating my main when they sent somone to take my tray.

Dessert quickly followed where they actually did offer another drink. And then the cabin crew basically dissappeared.

For me, the whole thing felt weird and did not resemble the AC J service that I am used to. I really can't articulate it better other than to say that this was almost like Rapidair service, on a route that's 4.5 hours long.

Really strange and, while the service wasn't actually bad, I'd call it perfunctory and very rushed. And No, there wasn't a bunch of mid to late flight turbulence either.

I'm not somone who wants a ton of drinks during a flight. But I'm also someone who doesn't want a J service experience to rival McDonald's either.

Since I assume that the SD sets the overall game plan for service , I'll put this on him. If so, I hope I'm never on another flight where he is SD.

Without a doubt, one of the most mediocre J service experiences I've had on AC for a while.

Well that sucks with a capital S

I have experienced some services where they appeared to be rushed. I like to hang onto my tray and napkin until after I finish my coffee which can take an hour to complete with multiple refills. As the paying customer, I let you take my tray when I am done, at my leisure. near the end of a flight, my coffee cup or glassware are put into a fancy paper cup and that is OK, but during meal service, I want to enjoy the service I PAID for.

When I say PAID for that also implied upgrades etc as it's cumulative of paying that may or may not include the upgrade earned from paying to obtain the ability to upgrade - Clear!
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:43 am

Fwiw I flew YUL-DUB on economy on the 18th. And I was incredibly impressed. I guess my standards have been lowered because they didn't do anything special but they just did everything they should and did it well.

They communicated clearly and continuously and were friendly but firm
Boarding zones were clearly articulated and enforced (at least the first few zones). The announcements weren't just mumbling from a script as fast as possible but actually explained what was going to happen and sounded like they really wanted people to cooperate.

On board I saw a flight attendant helping the passengers at the bulkhead with the young child by explaining when their bags needed to be above, when they could expect the bassinet, what they should do in the meantime. Same gave every impression of having all the time in the world to explain things, no rush, just concerned about being helpful.

I slept through the meal and when I saw the fa remembered and asked if I wanted anything. When I said "when you get a chance a diet coke" she ran to get me one right away.

Just really the whole crew seemed totally on the ball and interested in doing the best they could not just finishing the script as quick as possible.

We finished boarding and took off 3 minutes early on a nearly full 787 too.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:30 pm

I am encouraged that others are having the J experience that, rightly or wrongly, I have grown to expect.

My experience on 114 really took the Premium out of PLH. I'm sure my flight today will be better.

Or at least better than the YYZ INT MLL where there some children and some adults are throwing temper tantrums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.