Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:13 am

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Looks like that shrewd policy of denying customers refunds is really paying off for shareholders.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Norcanair
Looks like that shrewd policy of denying customers refunds is really paying off for shareholders.
How many dollars per outstanding share does $25 million represent to AC?

What duration of time does it take them to make $25 million in profit (pre covid)? Weeks? Days? Hours?
Gorji and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by expert7700

What duration of time does it take them to make $25 million in profit (pre covid)? Weeks? Days? Hours?
Agree. The amount of the fine is meaningless.
More meaningful is the press this gets in the US. A bad impression will stick with people who next time they see AC in their Kayak search will think twice and go ---- oh thats the airline that will steal from us - next!
Gorji, strickerj and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
This (potentially) legally-failed policy may negatively impact ACs growth strategy of funnelling Americans through Canada, and by digging in for a fight, AC may poison the well for future DOT interactions. .

Nonetheless, I guess we can also singularly look at the $25 million fine as some extraordinary item on the books - and not the broader implications of what has/is unfolding here.
Gorji and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

10 days - 2019 Adjusted net income was $917 million.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by seawolf
10 days - 2019 Adjusted net income was $917 million.
Not really a relevant metric. If you wanted to compare it to something, the more relevant figure(s) would be (a) how much cash AC conserved by not refunding US customers who should have received refunds based on US DOT rules (i.e. what was the cost of capital on this forced loan), and/or (b) how much of AC's profits on itineraries originating or terminating in the US (i.e. those within the US DOT's jurisdiction) this represented.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Not really a relevant metric. If you wanted to compare it to something, the more relevant figure(s) would be (a) how much cash AC conserved by not refunding US customers who should have received refunds based on US DOT rules (i.e. what was the cost of capital on this forced loan), and/or (b) how much of AC's profits on itineraries originating or terminating in the US (i.e. those within the US DOT's jurisdiction) this represented.
was just answering expert7700's post.

There is not enough publicly available data to go into that level of granularity. Maybe some of it will come out during discovery in the US class actions.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
When I was young (well kinda) and stupid (perhaps still am), I booked Air Canada through Expedia (for TD). The 4.5% effective discount was hard to pass up.

Just got off the phone. Got to an agent after about 30 minutes on hold. He filled out a refund request form for me and sent off to Air Canada. I should be getting an email confirmation that the refund was approved by Air Canada in a couple of weeks, and the actual refund some time after that, but given the volume of requests all these timelines are up in the air.

One thing of note is that once the flight was cancelled back in December, each time I called they could not find them in their system by either their own Expedia itinerary number or the AC booking reference. I actually had to call Air Canada to get the ticket numbers (they were not provided in the booking confirmation email and the itinerary disappeared from Expedia's site) in order to allow Expedia to find my flights in their system. When I called this morning, the Expedia itinerary number was all they needed to be able to pull up the flight details. Weird.
For those poor souls who bought through a third party, here is an update (I scrolled up a bit but didn't see anyone post about that). It only took 2 months, and I applied for the refund basically the first day.
Dear Expedia For TD Customer,

Air Canada recently changed its policy for refunds related to COVID-19 and we are happy to share that your previously cancelled flight booking that resulted in a flight credit is now eligible for a refund.

The Air Canada credit you received has been cancelled and the refund amount will be credited to your original form of payment. No further action is required. Please note due to the large volume of refunds, it may take Air Canada up to 10 days to process your refund, so please allow 1-2 statement cycles for your refund to be received.
Let's see how long it takes from now to actually see it on my Visa statement.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:25 am

I submitted a refund request on April 29, 2021. For a flight that was not supposed to be until February 6, 2021. Currently saying they are processing refunds up to May 10, 2020.

Going to be awhile until they get to mine it looks like.

Is there any value in calling?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:48 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mjjhorto
I submitted a refund request on April 29, 2021. For a flight that was not supposed to be until February 6, 2021. Currently saying they are processing refunds up to May 10, 2020.

Going to be awhile until they get to mine it looks like.
I don't know why they have that May 2020 date in there. Plenty of people whose flights were a lot later than that have reported getting their refunds already.

Is there any value in calling?
It's possible that an agent could process it for you while on the phone. It's also possible that because you've already submitted the request, it's in the queue and they won't be able to. So... maybe? Depends on how you value your time (people are complaining about long hold times) vs possibly having your money back sooner.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
call AC

Adam is bang on! I called AC about 2 of my cancelled PNRs and the agent processed the refund while I waited.
Saved me the time and effort of completing the claim form - which looks like it was designed by in house legal counsel.
Gorji and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:57 am

$25M is a drop in the bucket for AC.
The suffering this airline put many of us was much more.
I for one will not travel with AC in the future.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Gorji
$25M is a drop in the bucket for AC.
The suffering this airline put many of us was much more.
I for one will not travel with AC in the future.
Me neither, for sure. I might consider WestJet (on a Delta ticket) for my flight to Vancouver next Spring, but more likely I'll stick with a U.S. airline.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Adam is bang on! I called AC about 2 of my cancelled PNRs and the agent processed the refund while I waited.
Saved me the time and effort of completing the claim form - which looks like it was designed by in house legal counsel.
I phoned in regarding 3 bookings which were not getting refunded. Two of them before this mythical May date. Got told a significant problem is bookings which were changed with additional payment, or pre-Amadeus bookings which had been converted. Gift card on the first purchase also sometimes breaks the automation. Those are processed manually. And I guess not prioritized. Assuming there is any priority at all... anyways 2 were resolved by the agent, and the 3rd had a complication but was put into a priority queue for someone with the ability to handle that complication.
Cas23 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Refund E Mail for a trip that is still valid?

Received this e mail tonight:
Booking Reference Number: xxxxx3

Air Canada is issuing refunds for all tickets with travel dates on or after February 1, 2020 and purchased before April 13, 2021 for flights cancelled either by Air Canada or by you for any reason. Our records indicate that your booking reference number xxxx3 is eligible for a refund.
This is not a trip I have cancelled and as far as I know it is still on the go. It shows up as a confirmed booking in my AC/Aeroplan account and in the app (This is a paid fare, not reward)

May give them a call to see what's going on, but if anyone has any experience with similar e mails, I would appreciate their advice. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.