Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick question: I made a travel insurance claim for the money not refunded (fare was refunded less $500) which was paid to me (made me whole) - does the insurance company reclaim that from AC? Should I reclaim that from AC (and reimburse insurance company)?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Has anyone successfully submitted a refund request to get back cancelation fees for a booking for an AC cancelled flight where you then took the option to immediately gets funds back less the fees instead of the full value future travel voucher?

Back last Apr when AC flights halted, we didn't see the point of the future value voucher as we needed the funds to arrange for official repatriation flights back on other carriers.
Got the email from AC today that they are refunding the full cancellation fees...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
Air Canada Extends Deadline of Its COVID-19 Refund Policy by 30 Days
Eligible customers now have until July 12, 2021 to submit a refund request
Since April 13, 2021, approximately 40% of eligible customers have requested a refund; 92% of submitted requests have been processed
https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021...icy-by-30-Days

The refund policy has been extended by 1 month.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Just a quick update on the data point I posted in January:

Originally Posted by Stanbury
Data point:

Flight for Ms SWMBO Stanbury YWG - CDG r/t April/May 2020 in BIZ. Flight was not cancelled by AC, but we cancelled the reservation. Voucher requested October 11, 2020.
Voucher received today, so just a tad shy of 3 months. She got 2 emails, one stating the voucher number and value, the other giving the PIN. Value of voucher was for the full amount paid -- no deductions for "taxes" etc.
Given this was our choice to cancel and this was P class, we're actually fairly pleased with the outcome. But fully understand the position of those whose flights were cancelled by AC, and had that been the case I am sure we'd feel differently. And yeah, 3 months is a long wait.
On June 4 we decided after all to request conversion of the voucher to cash -- that is to a credit on the VISA card. (No we're not indecisive. Well, I don't think we are. Well, maybe we are? No of course not ...) . The request process was simple and acknowledgement of the request was immediate. Confirmation that the refund has been processed received today, June 10 (so 6 days), with the usual 2 billing cycle proviso.

So all in all, given that the cancellation was our decision (the flights did in fact operate) we're quite pleased wth the handling of all this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I got a "resolution" for my points discrepancy; the AC rep replied that the website had calculated my request based on USD (taxes counted), and when they realized I was Canadian-based, adjusted it manually to account for -13% HST.

The "Conversion rate into Miles" is 0.018.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:41 am

My gf and I decided not to take our flights in early March as we were concerned about COVID. We bought non-refundable AC tickets and had no luck getting our money back. Are we now eligible for a refund?
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:33 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by playanne
My gf and I decided not to take our flights in early March as we were concerned about COVID. We bought non-refundable AC tickets and had no luck getting our money back. Are we now eligible for a refund?
With this being your first post, welcome to posting on FT

When you say "decided not to take [the] flights", did you cancel them, or just not show up for the flights? If you cancelled them, you're eligible for a refund - see the links in the wiki at the top of this thread.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Not sure if my situation was the same, but I cancelled into a voucher-purchased-booking last month and it took a few days for the amount to be put back into the same voucher.
Its now apparently been cancelled and a manual request was submitted for a voucher 3 weeks ago. That was 5 weeks after I filled out the refund request form because the website errored out.

So its now almost 8 weeks to get a voucher and waiting. This joke of an airline continues to... not surprise.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:41 am

Yesssss!

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0069-0005

On today’s date, the U.S. Department of Transportation (Department) Office of Aviation Consumer Protection (OACP) is filing a Notice of Enforcement Proceedings and Complaint (DOT Complaint) against Air Canada. In the DOT Complaint, OACP alleges that Air Canada violated 49 U.S.C. § 41712, the statutory prohibition against unfair and deceptive practices, and 14 CFR § 259.5 by failing to provide prompt refunds for flights to or from the United States that were canceled or significantly changed by Air Canada.1 OACP is seeking civil penalties, a cease-and- desist order, and other relief as may be appropriate for the harm caused to consumers by Air Canada’s violations of U.S. law.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
I just got a similar email but it refers to a different consolidated docket:

We would like to update you on the status of your formal complaint against Air Canada.

Today, our office took action against Air Canada by filing a complaint with a DOT Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). In the complaint, we seek civil penalties for Air Canada’s extreme delays in providing refunds to consumers. The facts of your complaint, as well as the facts from 84 other formal complaints, will be used as evidence of Air Canada’s unfair practice. You can find the DOT complaint and other related filings by going to www.regulations.gov, docket DOT-OST-2021-0073.

As a matter of administration, we will close your individual docket and consolidate all future proceedings into Docket DOT-OST-2021-0073. The details are found in the third attachment, our Notice of Administrative Action.

No action is required on your part. If you would like to file a comment or other document relating to this matter, please do so through docket DOT-OST-2021-0073. If you have any questions, please let me know.
tecate55, 985X and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by strickerj
I just got a similar email but it refers to a different consolidated docket:
Consolidated into following:
https://www.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-2021-0073

Wow. The ENFORCEMENT COMPLIANT indicates that AC didn't settle with DoT like airlines typically do. They definitely got cojones in taking this to formal proceedings and facing a potential fine of $25 million (which is already a settlement in contrast to >$174 million as provided by regulations).

If AC loses, they may end up pissing off the rest of the airline industry as that would involve a judicial precedent being set.

There are still some class action suits in US in early stages.
strickerj and hoipolloi like this.

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 15, 2021 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:49 am

Presse release
U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Consumer Protection Initiates Enforcement Proceeding Seeking Approximately $25 million Against Air Canada for Extreme Delays in Providing Required Refunds
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its now apparently been cancelled and a manual request was submitted for a voucher 3 weeks ago. That was 5 weeks after I filled out the refund request form because the website errored out.

So its now almost 8 weeks to get a voucher and waiting. This joke of an airline continues to... not surprise.
AC cancelled the original request for refund and you had to resubmit a manual refund (into voucher) request?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: ba silver
Good. It's time governments on both sides of the botder start to show some teeth. This is a good first start let's hope the CTA starts fining airlines for breaking other laws instead of letting them get away with it ( such as not rebooking passengers in a timely manner when flights are cancelled).
strickerj and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by yyznomad
AC cancelled the original request for refund and you had to resubmit a manual refund (into voucher) request?
Ticket paid with voucher so no refund, was happy to refund to voucher or get new voucher whatever.

Cancel online fail error . Fill out form for manual.

Cancelled manually by AC 5 weeks later, PNR gone, and apparently voucher requested manually

3 weeks later no voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.