Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
I've requested refunds but to credit cards that I've since closed. Is AC emailing a confirmation when this has been processed?
Or will I just have to check back with each respective card issuer... ?
They e-mail out a refund confirmation once processed, similar format to the booking confirmation PDFs. Once you get that, it should show up on the credit card account within a couple of business days.
Gorji and CanadianMike like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I know the exact figure I was quoted, but they didn't credit me with that amount.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The way it was supposed to be calculated was at the usual selling price of $0.03 per Aeroplan point + 65% bonus points, but netting off applicable sales taxes.

But the handful of times I looked at it, the number of miles they actually offered was always lower than what that calculation should have generated.

When you cancelled tickets, did the website not explicitly tell you how many points you were going to get when you did it?
Old May 15, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
I know the exact figure I was quoted, but they didn't credit me with that amount.
Did you save a screenshot of what they offered?
Old May 15, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I should have taken one, but alas - no screenshot was taken.

I'll give AC another call over the long weekend.

Did you save a screenshot of what they offered?
Old May 15, 2021, 3:31 pm

I got my credit this morning. It took 4-5 days after they sent me an email stating a refund. Of note: It was to a credit card number that I no longer have but it's from the same visa (Visa Sapphire)
Old May 18, 2021, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year this week, I was booked on an open jaw r/t bracketing a train trip Vancouver to Banff. When the flights were cancelled, I selected the voucher with two years validity, since I also chose to take the voucher offer with the train.
Last week, without request or any communication from me, AC cancelled the reservation entirely and fully refunded my money - fare, taxes, airline fees, seat selection fees, even pre-purchased meals.
I'm okay with this and will rebook when I have a firm date for the train trip. I'm planting on next May. Hopefully the border will be open and travel will be back to normal by then.
But I'm wondering if AC decided to kill the voucher (still had a year on it) because my route has been dropped. Itinerary was SMF (Sacramento, Calif)-YVR // YYC-(YVR)-SMF.
Any idea why AC was so anxious to give me my money back? Thanks.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
But I'm wondering if AC decided to kill the voucher (still had a year on it) because my route has been dropped. Itinerary was SMF (Sacramento, Calif)-YVR // YYC-(YVR)-SMF.
Any idea why AC was so anxious to give me my money back? Thanks.
I think this is the first we've heard of AC just up and refunding someone like this. But most people on this board seem to have ended up with the vouchers that have no expiry as opposed to the 2-year credits, which only lasted a couple of months.

SMF has not been dropped permanently - AC is selling tickets for November travel, for instance - so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

My guess is that AC simply decided it would be less hassle to refund all of those outstanding credits rather than send out offers to refund and then have to process those, which is what they sent to those holding the non-expiring vouchers. Not sure whether that would be because of something administrative or IT within AC, or whether that was part of the fine print of their recent government bailout, which required them to offer refunds to everyone who got a travel credit/voucher during the pandemic.

But I don't know that we have enough data points to really understand much about it.
rickg523 and strickerj like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is the first we've heard of AC just up and refunding someone like this. But most people on this board seem to have ended up with the vouchers that have no expiry as opposed to the 2-year credits, which only lasted a couple of months.

SMF has not been dropped permanently - AC is selling tickets for November travel, for instance - so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

My guess is that AC simply decided it would be less hassle to refund all of those outstanding credits rather than send out offers to refund and then have to process those, which is what they sent to those holding the non-expiring vouchers. Not sure whether that would be because of something administrative or IT within AC, or whether that was part of the fine print of their recent government bailout, which required them to offer refunds to everyone who got a travel credit/voucher during the pandemic.

But I don't know that we have enough data points to really understand much about it.
Thanks for the insight. I actually posted because I too have never encountered an unrequested full refund in decades of flying. (Unfortunately, I didn't know about this thread and posted to a different, less appropriate, thread. Thanks to mods for moving me here. I haven't had a chance to read previous posts, but I'll attend to this thread now).
I'm glad to hear SMF service has not been discontinued. Obviously, for this trip AC offers the best options, and as I said, I'm truly looking forward to visiting Canada next year (hopefully). Re-visit actually. My mother was Canadian and I've been there many times.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Whats the wait time on cancelling into a voucher (was paid with a voucher so no refund).

It wouldnt cancel online, and asked to fill out a manual form - Its been over a month and the reservation still shows active....
Old May 19, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Whats the wait time on cancelling into a voucher (was paid with a voucher so no refund).

It wouldnt cancel online, and asked to fill out a manual form - Its been over a month and the reservation still shows active....
Not sure if my situation was the same, but I cancelled into a voucher-purchased-booking last month and it took a few days for the amount to be put back into the same voucher.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
My Expedia booking took some work to get refunded. I called the first day of the new policy, but they didn't know exactly what to do, and I was bounced back and forth between Expedia (all nice and helpful) and two Air Canada agents (one was very rude, one was very nice). Expedia thought they'd figured out the situation, and tried to convert my booking into a voucher so I could request a refund, but they had it wrong, and I didn't receive a voucher. I called back about a week later since I hadn't received the voucher. This time, Expedia processed my refund. I got the total refunded back to my TDIP yesterday, so it took about a month. I'm happy to have the money back, regardless.
Old May 23, 2021, 4:55 am

Anyone has experience of the card used for booking was cancelled and no longer have an account at that bank?
How long does it take for AC to contact you? And what is the follow-up refund option available?
Old May 23, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by rc82024
Anyone has experience of the card used for booking was cancelled and no longer have an account at that bank?
How long does it take for AC to contact you? And what is the follow-up refund option available?
Welcome to FT

AC will provide a refund to the original form of payment. If that's a card that has since been closed, it doesn't matter. You will need to get that amount from the card issuer. If you no longer have an account there, they will likely cut you a cheque (if you did still have a card with them, they could likely transfer the credit to your other account) - this is not uncommon for them. If you're lucky, they'll do it automatically. If not, you may have to contact them.
Old May 23, 2021, 9:51 pm

AC standard fare purchase before 05/31, is it non refundable?

Just want to ask for AC domestic standard fare purchase before 05/31, is it non refundable or can it refund to AC credit valid for 24 month?

I called AC CSR they said it's non refundable, AC Covid website don't mention the refund policy.
  • https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html
  • Ticket must be issued on or before May 31, 2021.
  • For original travel between March 1, 2020 and May 31, 2022.
  • For tickets purchased on or after April 1, 2021: if you need to change any flight, your new travel must be completed within 24 months of the original purchase date. No change fee will apply, however a difference in fare may apply.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
Just want to ask for AC domestic standard fare purchase before 05/31, is it non refundable or can it refund to AC credit valid for 24 month?

I called AC CSR they said it's non refundable, AC Covid website don't mention the refund policy.
Those two sources are not contradictory.

A Standard fare is not refundable. For tickets booked until May 31, 2021, they do come with one free change, but the only way you will get a refund is if (a) AC cancels your flight and (b) AC does not re-book you on a new flight departing +/- 3 hours from your original flight.

For the time being, if you choose to cancel your booking, you can also choose to convert the value of your booking to (i) Aeroplan points, with a 65% bonus, or (ii) a voucher with no expiry date, however, AC has not disclosed how much longer either of those options will be available.
ecgz88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.