Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
We don't know. But people who had travel well after February 2020 have reported getting refunds already, and the process has been pretty quick. There are lots of experiences posted in this thread.
I think you would have had to read back 3 posts at the time the question was asked in order to get a sufficient answer. I'm not sure that's reasonable.
Old May 2, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I submitted my request for refund for a Dec 2020 flight on April 23. (I had to wait for ACV to refund my used travel voucher first.)
The value of the voucher disappeared when I checked on Tuesday April 27.
No email from AC.
I was a bit paranoid that someone used my voucher, because I did use it with ACV and AC was not supposed to process anything for Dec flights yet...
Fingers crossed that they actually started processing the refund based on what's mentioned here....
Old May 6, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Similar to what other posters have mentioned, I noticed my voucher go empty last week, after I'd submitted a refund request several weeks ago. I called Air Canada's customer line, and a sympathetic agent told me that the refunds department doesn't take phone calls but that it was worth leaving an online message using the online contact form. When I pointed out that picking any Covid-19 related refund option in the contact tree booted me back to the covid-19 refund page, she told me to use any option that took me to a form. I filled out the form on May 4th and got a receipt of refund on May 5th... now just need to wait for the refund to hit my CC. This may be worth trying if you're impatient, like me
Gorji likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
The fine folks at AC just sent me an email telling me that my summer 2020 flight cancellation was due for my choice of voucher, refund, or miles. I had made the request already 4 months back. So, back to the drawing board.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
The fine folks at AC just sent me an email telling me that my summer 2020 flight cancellation was due for my choice of voucher, refund, or miles. I had made the request already 4 months back. So, back to the drawing board.
Did AC cancel your flight first and then you made your choice?
Old May 6, 2021, 1:32 pm

Angry

Yes - and now when I clicked on the option to convert the ticket amount into miles, it says it doesn't recognize my AP #. Such a circle of fails. I'll have to call it in on the weekend when I'm not working.

*I called yesterday to find out where it is in the queue; they said it was input manually in January because there was some kind of error with my Aeroplan # (a number I've had for 25+ years), and they retried at the end of March. Now they said they are working on March requests and still cannot give me an ETA for crediting my account with the 110K points.

Not the biggest deal in the world, since the dates of travel, flights, and airlines don't align for me yet, but all the same, it's better within my account than without.

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Did AC cancel your flight first and then you made your choice?

Last edited by TTC900Rocket; May 8, 2021 at 9:47 am Reason: Updated after calling Air Canada
Old May 8, 2021, 8:09 pm

Thank you spamboymeister .
I also have seen my e-voucher being "depleted" although I did not knew up to a few days ago that it could be checked.

Which form did you use to contact customer service. It seems like I have to fill original flight info with a few of them.

Thanks.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by spamboymeister
Similar to what other posters have mentioned, I noticed my voucher go empty last week, after I'd submitted a refund request several weeks ago. I called Air Canada's customer line, and a sympathetic agent told me that the refunds department doesn't take phone calls but that it was worth leaving an online message using the online contact form. When I pointed out that picking any Covid-19 related refund option in the contact tree booted me back to the covid-19 refund page, she told me to use any option that took me to a form. I filled out the form on May 4th and got a receipt of refund on May 5th... now just need to wait for the refund to hit my CC. This may be worth trying if you're impatient, like me
Well last night I employed the technique spamboymeister had employed before(5/11/2021). Within minutes I got an email telling me that they will look into it. Did not look like an auto reply email.

This afternoon, I got a message saying that I have a refund to my credit card (the numbers marked out except the last 4).

Now I will wait for the refund to post on my CC.

Will keep people posted.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Gorji; May 11, 2021 at 6:53 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I just received the refund email for my Dec 25, 2020 flight. I requested on April 24 and the travel voucher got depleted around Apr 28. It appears to be standard procedure for them to deactivate the travel voucher shortly after the refund request is submitted.
Gorji and TheProf like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 3:27 pm

Just got my points posted to my account. I had submitted the request in January 2021 for a July 2020 flight; my file has gone through manual review twice due to problems with my Aeroplan #.
I've submitted two Twitter requests, sent in 1 request via AC's site, and called in using the E35K phone number.

**Just checked the exact totals...and they posted the incorrect number of miles. I'll need to make another call to follow up.**
Old May 14, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by ericw
I just received the refund email for my Dec 25, 2020 flight. I requested on April 24 and the travel voucher got depleted around Apr 28. It appears to be standard procedure for them to deactivate the travel voucher shortly after the refund request is submitted.
lucky you.

I submitted my request on April 13, and followed up a week ago. I was pretty much told to wait for my turn. I’m still waiting for a refund.
Old May 14, 2021, 4:56 pm

They told me they were processing late-March requests when I called last weekend.

Originally Posted by dtman85
lucky you.

I submitted my request on April 13, and followed up a week ago. I was pretty much told to wait for my turn. I’m still waiting for a refund.
dtman85 likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:38 am

Can anyone recall what the formula or methodology was for converting a fare into the Aeroplan points?

I remember the AC calculator gave me one figure when I did not sign in, but when I did log into my AC account, the system quoted me a higher figure.

As I wrote a couple of posts above, I finally got my points conversion after many months but it was about 20K off the total I should have received.

Thanks.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
Can anyone recall what the formula or methodology was for converting a fare into the Aeroplan points?

I remember the AC calculator gave me one figure when I did not sign in, but when I did log into my AC account, the system quoted me a higher figure.

As I wrote a couple of posts above, I finally got my points conversion after many months but it was about 20K off the total I should have received.
The way it was supposed to be calculated was at the usual selling price of $0.03 per Aeroplan point + 65% bonus points, but netting off applicable sales taxes.

But the handful of times I looked at it, the number of miles they actually offered was always lower than what that calculation should have generated.

When you cancelled tickets, did the website not explicitly tell you how many points you were going to get when you did it?
Old May 15, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: SE 100K
I've requested refunds but to credit cards that I've since closed. Is AC emailing a confirmation when this has been processed?
Or will I just have to check back with each respective card issuer... ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.