Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Has there been any progress whatsoever in getting AC refunds for Americans? I bought my tickets with Chase points, and Chase tells me they're holding a voucher for me. I complained to the DOT but AC never responded and I have been unable to convince the DOT to do anything further about my complaint. Obviously, I prefer a refund to a voucher -- just like every other airline (from American to Copa to Ryanair) has provided me since Covid. It seems like a no brainer for the Feds to revoke AC right to fly to America until refunds are issued to Americans. There is no reason they should be held to a lower standard than what USA airlines have been required to do.
IMO, it's not that DOT is holding AC to a lower standard (as it is questionable as to whether there is a binding standard in force to begin with); it's more that other airlines (especially US) know this is not a battle worth fighting US DoT over. Bad for business long term provoking DoT to lay down explicit regulations concerning refunding non-refundable over what essentially is a temporarily liquidity issue. Relatively easy to add regulations but difficult in getting it removed.

AA/DL never attempted to "reinterpret" their end of the CoC concerning refund on schedule changes for tickets already issued. UA did try to reinterpret (eg weasel their way out) the CoC retroactively for a couple of months but since backtracked. I can only speculate US airlines deciding to refund is not/no longer a concern after shoring up their liquidity positions via loans and assistance from Uncle Sam as well as adapting operations to the new normal.

Is Ottawa not providing assistance to AC? Just claim we'll lay off this many employees if you don't.

I don't see much you can do to force a refund because the ticket was essentially paid by Chase (thru your points) and not you so the chargeback route is not available.
SacCalFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:40 am

Programs: IHG Gold
For anyone who has cancelled and elected to take Aeroplan points plus 65% bonus, could you advise if the points conversion shows up immediately or is it a long drawn out affair? Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:00 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mapleg
For anyone who has cancelled and elected to take Aeroplan points plus 65% bonus, could you advise if the points conversion shows up immediately or is it a long drawn out affair?
Most people have gotten the points quickly, but some have had to wait a couple weeks. Lots of experiences posted in this thread...
SacCalFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
IMO, it's not that DOT is holding AC to a lower standard (as it is questionable as to whether there is a binding standard in force to begin with); it's more that other airlines (especially US) know this is not a battle worth fighting US DoT over. Bad for business long term provoking DoT to lay down explicit regulations concerning refunding non-refundable over what essentially is a temporarily liquidity issue. Relatively easy to add regulations but difficult in getting it removed.

AA/DL never attempted to "reinterpret" their end of the CoC concerning refund on schedule changes for tickets already issued. UA did try to reinterpret (eg weasel their way out) the CoC retroactively for a couple of months but since backtracked. I can only speculate US airlines deciding to refund is not/no longer a concern after shoring up their liquidity positions via loans and assistance from Uncle Sam as well as adapting operations to the new normal.

Is Ottawa not providing assistance to AC? Just claim we'll lay off this many employees if you don't.

I don't see much you can do to force a refund because the ticket was essentially paid by Chase (thru your points) and not you so the chargeback route is not available.
Mercifully, I'm only dealing with one sub-$400 ticket to Asia that I paid for with points, so my incentive to spend gobs of time fighting this is relatively low. Especially since the odds are high that I will eventually be able to use the voucher. I also figure there's a good chance AC will relent -- or, more accurately, be forced to relent -- once their finanaces are shored up.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
I also figure there's a good chance AC will relent -- or, more accurately, be forced to relent -- once their finanaces are shored up.
AC's finances are in excellent shape ($7.5 billion in cash and short-term investments at year end). It's not that they need the money (maybe $1 billion or so), it's that it's interest-free financing, and also leverage to blackmail the government in to giving them even more cheap financing.
wrp96, SacCalFlyer and jackmaninov like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:08 am
zam

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Most people have gotten the points quickly, but some have had to wait a couple weeks. Lots of experiences posted in this thread...
Took about 7 weeks for me when I did it a few months ago.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
For those of you following this thread. From AC's press release today "Air Canada and Government of Canada Conclude Agreements on Liquidity Program" (Thanks @Aselwyn)

QUOTE:

As part of the financial package, Air Canada has agreed to a number of commitments related to customer refunds, service to regional communities, restrictions on the use of the funds provided, employment and capital expenditures. These include:
  • Beginning April 13, 2021, offering eligible customers who purchased non-refundable fares but did not travel due to COVID-19 since February 2020, the option of a refund to the original form of payment. In support of its travel agency partners, Air Canada will not retract agency sales commissions on refunded fares;

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021...uidity-Program
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It'll be interesting to see how they handle people who already took the gift cards.
unclepants and YYCNoob like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:54 pm

Refund eligibility

Eligible Customers who want a refund can get one. Refunds available for people who purchased before or on March 22nd 2020 for flights cancelled by the passenger or the airline. Flights purchased after March 22, 2020 are eligible for a refund if the airline cancelled the flight.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It'll be interesting to see how they handle people who already took the gift cards.
And Aeroplan points.
Doubt the refunds will be proactive too. Or fast.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:09 pm

AC's call center already has a message that refunds have to wait until 8AM tomorrow, April 13th.

I had a 3-hour schedule change on a flight that likely won't operate (late May US-YYC). I'd like a refund to original payment. I'm wondering what the best strategy is here - push on the 3-hour schedule change, or instead just say cannot travel due to COVID? I'm leaning towards the COVID explanation, since that is more explicitly mentioned in this government agreement, although it's not clear if it requires AC to cancel the flight? The flight number changed and also switched from United to UE/Skywest, so maybe I should push on that being an actual cancellation of my original flight?

I expect this thread and related threads to be busy, and hopefully we'll know soon some DPs on how this is going to work. The call agent late tonight still said no refunds, and no information about how refunds are going to work at this time.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by StarAlliance2005
Refunds available for people who purchased before or on March 22nd 2020 for flights cancelled by the passenger or the airline.
On this one, important to note for travel after Feb 1 2020.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: AC SE
AC has launched a refund portal here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...on-refund.html
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: AC SE
I just processed a bunch of refunds and AC has certainly made it pretty simple through the portal. We will see, of course, how long they take to actually be refunded.

I had a couple of flights booked through Air Canada for Business and for those I had to call in to the business desk. They answered on the first ring and processed the refunds quickly.
SacCalFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:30 am

I phoned in to process a refund this morning (not having seen the posts above about the online portal) and it was done quickly and without fuss.

The agent says that's all they're doing this morning.
seawolf and dr_torch like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.