Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I woke up to an email that I've received the refund for my November flight that was converted to a voucher.

So... they seem to be SLIGHTLY past February 16.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Just as a data point, I have now received a refund for a May 2020 flight (which had not been converted to a voucher) and one for a December 2020 flight (!) which had been converted to a voucher. The emails reflected different processes and receipt types. I submitted my requests as soon as the process opened, so perhaps they are doing first-come-first-serve rather than date of flight?
Gorji likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Wow. I have a voucher for an October flight that was a voluntary cancellation. I had figured I might just leave it as a voucher, because it's only ~$300 and I didn't want to be tied up in limbo for months when I could probably use it relatively soon.

But if they're processing these things so quickly, maybe I should get my $323 or whatever back.

Funny enough, as I was writing this e-mail, AC sent me an e-mail telling my I could convert it.

Subject: Convert your Air Canada Travel Voucher into a refund

Booking Reference Number: xxxxxx

We’re contacting you today because you had a cancelled flight with Air Canada in which you converted the remaining value into an Air Canada Travel Voucher.

As you may have heard, Air Canada is now issuing refunds for all tickets with travel dates on or after February 1, 2020 and purchased before April 13, 2021 for flights cancelled either by Air Canada or by you for any reason.

If you prefer a refund to your original form of payment for your cancelled flight, we kindly ask that you submit a request or click the button below.

If you’ve already requested a refund or if you would like to keep your Air Canada Travel Voucher you don’t need to do anything else.

If your flight was cancelled before April 13, 2021, please make sure to request your refund before June 12, 2021, in order for your refund to be processed to the original form of payment.

Thank you for choosing Air Canada and we look forward to welcoming you on board whenever you’re ready to fly again.

Then again, I booked this during that CIBC/TD 10x Aeroplan mile promo. If those were to get clawed back when I refunded the booking, it would be a pretty meaningful hit to the value proposition.
Gorji, canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 29, 2021 at 12:09 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Maybe I missed this, but I didn't see anything up thread. AC isn't issuing our refunds to the original method of payment unless we request that, correct? I assume they are issuing cheques or something similar?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by codfather
Maybe I missed this, but I didn't see anything up thread. AC isn't issuing our refunds to the original method of payment unless we request that, correct? I assume they are issuing cheques or something similar?
Original form of payment, but you still have to request the refund.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Original form of payment, but you still have to request the refund.
If that is the case, why did the emails I received say the following?

“If you prefer a refund to your original form of payment for your cancelled flight, we kindly ask that you submit a request or
click the button below.”

Update: I noticed when you click the link it says original method of payment.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Refund of cancelation fee?

Has anyone successfully submitted a refund request to get back cancelation fees for a booking for an AC cancelled flight where you then took the option to immediately gets funds back less the fees instead of the full value future travel voucher?

Back last Apr when AC flights halted, we didn't see the point of the future value voucher as we needed the funds to arrange for official repatriation flights back on other carriers.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:52 pm

I booked a trip with a $1000 eCoupon and another $1500 of cash.

The eCoupon definitely has expired. I don't think they extended empty ones. Anyone know what will happen if I refund this booking?

I can take an eCoupon for the full amount if necessary, but I'd rather get the cash back.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by guessaaa
April 26: Received a refund receipt for the voucher.
April 29: Received the refund of my voucher, backdated again by TD to the date I bought the ticket.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I woke up to an email that I've received the refund for my November flight that was converted to a voucher.

So... they seem to be SLIGHTLY past February 16.
And two days later it hit my Amex.

Total Balance
-$2,222.59

Guess they'll be sending me another check/cheque in a month.
expert7700 likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I got an email from AC with the subject title, "You are eligible for a refund from Air Canada". Upon referencing the booking reference number, it was an AC flight from February 2020 already flown. Thanks for wasting my time AC.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I got an email from AC with the subject title, "You are eligible for a refund from Air Canada". Upon referencing the booking reference number, it was an AC flight from February 2020 already flown. Thanks for wasting my time AC.
Did you try? Who knows, maybe they'll give you your money back...

​​​​
D582 and strickerj like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Did you try? Who knows, maybe they'll give you your money back...

​​​​
LOL

Unfortunately I did, got an error message, hence the time wasting line.
Adam Smith and strickerj like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:19 am

Can someone please clarify what's going on: are they processing whoever requested a refund first or are they going by date?
If by date are they going backwards from now or from time of ticket purchase?

Their website does not seem to have any updates: it states that "Please note we are currently processing refund requests for flights up to February 16, 2020."

Thank you friends.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Gorji
Can someone please clarify what's going on: are they processing whoever requested a refund first or are they going by date?
If by date are they going backwards from now or from time of ticket purchase?
We don't know. But people who had travel well after February 2020 have reported getting refunds already, and the process has been pretty quick. There are lots of experiences posted in this thread.
Gorji and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.