Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Out of three bookings, one request could be completed online:

One gave me this error message and I had to complete a web form to ask for the conversion into a voucher:

And the other one requires me to call Rez and request it from them.

A real mixed bag.
This sounds similar to my experience. Have you actually received a gift card yet?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:41 pm

I'm guessing the cases where you are directed to the web form are when the tickets are "too complicated" for Air Canada's systems in terms of determining eligibility or refund amount automatically for issuing the miles or voucher.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:48 pm

I am at the same situation. I canceled my award booking in February and milage back to my account immediately but taxes refund still haven’t credited back to my credit card in April. So I called Aeroplan and they said they already send taxes refund request to Air Canada and they can only open a claim for me again. I called Aeroplan agin at the end of May and Aeroplan said they cannot do anything. I finally gave up calling Aeroplan or Air Canada and called Amex to file a charge back. I successfully got the money back last week!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SE
So to recap on the self-service tool, they started cancelling flights in March, have consistently denied refunds for several months even when they are required under DOT and EU rules, and then on May 22 announced a new self-service tool would be coming soon to convert those restrictive credits into slightly more useful gift cards. It's now 6+ weeks after the press release announcing the self-service tool, they missed the initial June 15 release date, and the tool doesn't work for many bookings. And now it'll take another 6 weeks for someone to manually convert those cancelled bookings into a gift card. What a mess.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:22 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by dr_torch
This sounds similar to my experience. Have you actually received a gift card yet?
As gcashin has observed, it's 6 weeks from yesterday before I'll see any gift cards, so in theory I'll get the vouchers sometime in mid-August.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Jul 7, 2020 at 11:33 am Reason: It's all theoretical at this point.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AC SE
Does anyone know if these Air Canada Travel Vouchers they are going to issue would have the same rules as their traditional vouchers:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-vouchers.html
Those ones suggest that they 'can be redeemed to cover the base fare of a new booking. Any taxes and surcharges must be paid separately.'
I don't think I'll convert my credit to these vouchers if they do not cover fare and fees/taxes.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by t_rex
Does anyone know if these Air Canada Travel Vouchers they are going to issue would have the same rules as their traditional vouchers:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-vouchers.html
Those ones suggest that they 'can be redeemed to cover the base fare of a new booking. Any taxes and surcharges must be paid separately.'
I don't think I'll convert my credit to these vouchers if they do not cover fare and fees/taxes.
It appears that the new vouchers will be most similar to eCoupons, which can be used towards base fare, taxes, surcharges, etc. The "electronic travel vouchers" on the page you linked to are otherwise known as eMCOs and are somewhat different.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
/disregard
(I didn't see @adamsmith's better explanation till I hit submit)

​​​​​​//Nor was I fast enough editing my post to avoid being quoted
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by expert7700
Can't wait for some FOTSG travelers to realize that on many routes, a majority of the fare can be taxes/fees/surcharges.

When someone spent $399 r/t YYZ-NAS and can't apply more than $200 of the voucher to a 2021/2022 flight, there will be some slight displeasure.
That's not how the vouchers work. A $399 round trip will generate a $399 voucher that can be applied to anything.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:52 am

I must be blind but I don't see any option to convert a previously cancelled booking (flight was late march and it was cancelled on Mar 16th) on AC website. I keep seeing:

"In the coming weeks, you will be able to convert your previously cancelled booking (for original travel between March 1, 2020 and July 31, 2021) to an Air Canada Travel Voucher that is fully transferrable and never expires or Aeroplan Miles with an additional 65% bonus miles"

As others have mentioned, searching up a cancelled booking under my bookings doesn't result in anything.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
You can get at your bookings in a couple of places on the AC site, but I had variable results. The best thing to do is just go here:

And enter the PNR / your name. You should get some kind of message, which may or may not be informative.

If that's not working for you, time to start dialing or use the web form. Good luck.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:24 pm

Air Canada's answer to a complainant who is an American resident and purchased ex-US flights:
https://beta.regulations.gov/docket/...-0063/document

Air Canada is being dangerously bold
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by latenightlaundry
Has anyone actually received an AC voucher yet for a cancellation that was converted to the new voucher option? I cancelled prior to June 1, then used the self-serve option on June 15 to convert into the new no-expiry, multiple-use voucher, but haven't gotten anything. I called the E50K line and was told the queue was extremely long and only SEs were being prioritized.

I'm hoping to book travel in the next week or so and will be annoyed if I have to spend cash again rather than using the few thousand dollars I should theoretically have coming via a voucher.

I am still waiting. Cancelled on June 4, 2020. Email I received said 4 weeks. Nothing yet. Any advice from anyone?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
You can get at your bookings in a couple of places on the AC site, but I had variable results. The best thing to do is just go here:

And enter the PNR / your name. You should get some kind of message, which may or may not be informative.

If that's not working for you, time to start dialing or use the web form. Good luck.
Ya I've tried a bunch of different ways. I'll try the web form as the agent I spoke with on the phone had no idea what to do.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Air Canada's answer to a complainant who is an American resident and purchased ex-US flights:
https://beta.regulations.gov/docket/...-0063/document

Air Canada is being dangerously bold
"The Complainant has not suffered any harm. "

???????

They're out something like $2000. How is there no harm?

I can at least see AC arguing the other points, but that one doesn't make sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.