Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Also no promised voucher. June 15 application to convert old credit for partially flown ticket.

Still no Aeroplan refund, coming up to 8 weeks, for a ticket that required manual looking at.

How do you people do business with this garbage airline on a frequent basis?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:05 am

As a datapoint, I opted to convert a cancelled trip to AP miles in June and it took 45 days to get the miles in my account. Another person I know who performed the same transaction about a week later got their miles deposited on the same day. So, they are running behind for sure, but at least for AP miles they appear to be doing the conversions in batches.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:40 am

Still no voucher for my wife
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:25 pm

I will be receiving future flight credit for flights they have canceled "due to COVD-19", rather than the full refund I requested. But, I promise the world, I will NEVER fly on Air Canada again! BTW, why do they not even refund the taxes I paid?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by NextTrip
I will be receiving future flight credit for flights they have canceled "due to COVD-19", rather than the full refund I requested. But, I promise the world, I will NEVER fly on Air Canada again! BTW, why do they not even refund the taxes I paid?
Because that will be part of your credit.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by NextTrip
The ironic thing is I would have gladly given them another chance had they refunded me like every other vendor who canceled my reservations. Now, not a chance. I won't even be transferring AmEx points to Aeroplan to use on a partner. Of course, I'm sure they don't care about their reputation since there's not much competition in Canada, and I doubt foreign customers make up much of their business.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
The ironic thing is I would have gladly given them another chance had they refunded me like every other vendor who canceled my reservations. Now, not a chance. I won't even be transferring AmEx points to Aeroplan to use on a partner. Of course, I'm sure they don't care about their reputation since there's not much competition in Canada, and I doubt foreign customers make up much of their business.
Exactly! I would have booked them again without blinking if they had done the right thing and given a refund. My trip was from Vegas, through Canada to Europe and back. Over $4600USD including taxes for business class.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I just submitted my Addendum by email and to the online docket (https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2020-0074), but it looks as though it has to be reviewed manually before being posted to the site.

EDIT: It looks as though it was actually posted yesterday: https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0074-0005.

Last edited by strickerj; Jul 26, 2020 at 2:00 pm Reason: Add link
Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
I just submitted my Addendum by email and to the online docket (https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2020-0074), but it looks as though it has to be reviewed manually before being posted to the site.
yes it does. It should be posted Monday.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:02 pm

Its been 10 weeks since I applied for a refund for a preferred seat I paid for but upgraded cabins instead. Totally ridiculous. Should be a cut-and-dry issue, as I provided all the information with my claim.

I have a 1/2 ticket now that I'm about to apply for AC credit, cant really use it any other way. I want my money. 600 maple-dollars goes a long way...
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Belmont_; Jul 26, 2020 at 7:23 pm
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
For those who may be interested in the timeline for receiving refunds from Air Canada, I requested a refund for a Premium Economy class ticket on April 8 and I finally received the refund on July 26.
unclepants and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by qrctraveller
For those who may be interested in the timeline for receiving refunds from Air Canada, I requested a refund for a Premium Economy class ticket on April 8 and I finally received the refund on July 26.
I think a lot of us are interested in how long it takes to convert a cancelled booking to a gift card, since we were told it would be 6 weeks and it has now been longer.

But 3 months for a refund, quite frankly, is pathetic. It seems to vary a lot though since I have had some flights that were refundable and I got the money back without a week.
unclepants, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by dr_torch
I think a lot of us are interested in how long it takes to convert a cancelled booking to a gift card, since we were told it would be 6 weeks and it has now been longer.

But 3 months for a refund, quite frankly, is pathetic. It seems to vary a lot though since I have had some flights that were refundable and I got the money back without a week.
Closer to 4 months! But yes, pathetic, but from an eternally pathetic airline, to be expected

If the refund is straight forward - it takes a couple days (I just got my Aeorplan refund back today cancelled yesterday)

If the refund needs to go manual - be it Aeroplan or a more complex revenue booking - you're in for a 4 month wait......

And remember those vouchers are coming June 15... wait no, an online system will be set up by July 5. oh wait....6 to 10 weeks - I am going to bet 4 months. Any takers?
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
And remember those vouchers are coming June 15... wait no, an online system will be set up by July 5. oh wait....6 to 10 weeks - I am going to bet 4 months. Any takers?
I think that is too optimistic.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I'm sure one of us will post here once we actually get the magic email.

I'm curious to see if a lot of them get issued all at once, or it becomes something like the missing AQD "process".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.