Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
Next docket (and the 1st first-party complaint) that Air Canada is due to respond to is due on June 29th - https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2020-0056
There's actually an earlier one due tomorrow - https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2020-0055
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:53 pm

Air Canada reverses course, offers refunds to some passengers with flights cancelled due to COVID

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...ange-1.5627362

Air Canada has quietly changed its refund policy to allow some customers whose flights were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic to recoup their cash — but not passengers whose trips originated in Canada.Customers with flights originating in the European Union, Switzerland and Iceland due to the pandemic are "entitled to receive a refund," states a document recently posted to Air Canada's website.
The article mentions a June 15 date, but am posting the story since it just went up on CBC a short time ago.
wrp96 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Originally Posted by SouthernDiscomfort
There's actually an earlier one due tomorrow - https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2020-0055
Awesome thank you for the correction! Looking forward to reading it tomorrow.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Did AC cancel your flights or did you cancel the booking before that?
We were in USA on March 14 when that day the Cdn govt warned Canadians to return to Canada (CBCNews.ca "Canadian travellers should return home while they still can, Champagne recommends"). We cancelled our original return flight (late March) and got back to YYZ on March 17.

The April flights were YYZ-CUN round trip. Air Canada emailed us in late March that Air Canada had cancelled the Mexico flights due to Covid.

Last edited by superperson44; Jun 25, 2020 at 3:03 pm Reason: error
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superperson44
We were in USA on March 14 when that day the Cdn govt warned Canadians to return to Canada (CBCNews.ca "Canadian travellers should return home while they still can, Champagne recommends"). We cancelled our original return flight (late March) and got back to YYZ on March 17.

The April flights were YYZ-CUN round trip. Air Canada emailed us in late March that Air Canada had cancelled the Mexico flights due to Covid.
So I would expect you to be eligible (based on common sense, not AC's behavior) for a refund of the Mexico flights, but not the late March USA-YYZ.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:21 pm

Hi All from Dublin Ireland,

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...ange-1.5627362

I have been trying to receive a refund from Air Canada regarding a flight I booked in December 2019. My flight was a direct flight Dublin-Vancouver return.

This route was suspended in May and we were re routed via Toronto without a choice. This is something we do not wish to do and requested a refund. Air Canada have refused but offered a voucher. I have not accepted the voucher and have not accepted the flight change yet.

Does the article above, now mean I should get back in touch with Air Canada and ask for my refund ??

Regards to all and Stay Safe
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Irishdave58
I have been trying to receive a refund from Air Canada regarding a flight I booked in December 2019. My flight was a direct flight Dublin-Vancouver return.
Yes, we've been following and trying to help

Does the article above, now mean I should get back in touch with Air Canada and ask for my refund ??
It's certainly worth a shot, as it does sound like you would now qualify.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:41 pm

Many thanks Adam Smith, I really appreciate all the help and guidance I have received.

I will send a request again to AC and let you know.

Following your advice, I did raise a complaint to the Irish Authority but received an email saying it would take 4-6 weeks for them to get back to me. We are now 4 weeks into that.

I had also contacted my Credit Card company to start a chargeback but I was told I could not do that until the revised flight departed which I found strange. I then complained about this to consumer affairs who helped me send an email to the credit card company. I received a reply and they have started the chargeback process. I will keep you all updated. I am not giving up on a refund just yet (smiles)

Regards and Stay Safe
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Irishdave58
I will send a request again to AC and let you know.

Following your advice, I did raise a complaint to the Irish Authority but received an email saying it would take 4-6 weeks for them to get back to me. We are now 4 weeks into that.

I had also contacted my Credit Card company to start a chargeback but I was told I could not do that until the revised flight departed which I found strange. I then complained about this to consumer affairs who helped me send an email to the credit card company. I received a reply and they have started the chargeback process. I will keep you all updated. I am not giving up on a refund just yet (smiles)
AC is probably pretty slow to respond these days. If you can bear leaving your phone on speaker for a while, I'd suggest calling in rather than writing in, as you might be able to get it resolved right then and there on the phone, rendering the chargeback and regulatory complaint moot.

Glad that your credit card issuer eventually came to their senses on when the chargeback could be initiated though.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC is probably pretty slow to respond these days. If you can bear leaving your phone on speaker for a while, I'd suggest calling in rather than writing in, as you might be able to get it resolved right then and there on the phone, rendering the chargeback and regulatory complaint moot.

Glad that your credit card issuer eventually came to their senses on when the chargeback could be initiated though.
Ok, I decided to ring Customer Care (International) to request a refund, it only took a few minutes to get an agent. At first I was told that I could only get the voucher. I then questioned this and stated that rule has changed due to EU261. The agent then apologised and said I was correct. I waited on the phone for 20 minutes while he checked and then started the refund process. I was told I would receive email confirmation of the refund within a week and to ring back if I do not receive it in this time. After receiving the email, it would then take up to 2 weeks to issue back to my credit card.

So, I am very happy with this outcome but will wait until I get the email and credit card refund before I will celebrate....lol.

Thank you Adam Smith and all the other kind people who helped, I just hope the refund arrives.

I will keep you posted and THANK YOU all again very much.

Stay Safe
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
agreed - law firm representing AC has steel

Telling the DOT your rules don't apply, in Canada the airlines got together to publish an APPR with no teeth, and claimed it was for consumer protection? Wow

Do they really think the DOT will say yeah sorry foreign airlines can do whatever they want, we were just kidding with these rules all along?
my take away is they know the current DOT position is airlines must refund and they are saying the DOT's opinion/position is wrong

Last edited by hoipolloi; Jun 25, 2020 at 7:14 pm
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EU first, would US be next?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:16 am

Angry

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So I would expect you to be eligible (based on common sense, not AC's behavior) for a refund of the Mexico flights, but not the late March USA-YYZ.
Nope, Air Canada refusing to offer refund for the Mexico. Just voucher or Aeroplan.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by superperson44
Nope, Air Canada refusing to offer refund for the Mexico. Just voucher or Aeroplan.
As the cow said, common sense, not AC's behaviour. AC is currently only doing refunds on tickets originating in the EU and those to or from a small number of other counties that have strong consumer protection laws on air tickets. No refunds on domestic, US, Mexico, or most international destinations.

You may wish to write your MP, the Transportation Minister, and the CTA to try to change this, because AC shows no sign of budging unless forced by a government entity.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AC 50KK, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
I called in for my Nice to Toronto flight refund and was told they are updating the website and you will be able to serve serve on Monday. If not call us then. I will try again later today but wanted to share this data point.

I called the SE desk.

Jason
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.