Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2021, 10:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If it is outside carrier’s control, AC should either be operating all fights to/from US or none. The moment that only certain flights get removed from schedule but not others illustrates the carrier does indeed have control.

It's not Ottawa telling AC to cancel the morning flight and not the afternoon flight. It's not COVID being more transmittable in the morning but not the evening.

In any case, this is a DoT proceeding, don't know if a US judge is going to look at APPR. They definitely don't look at EC261/2004 claims.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 4, 2021 at 8:52 am
Old Jul 3, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by nli007
What is considered as "Uncontrollable" within the context of COVID-19 cancellations has guidance from the CTA via Determination No. A-2020-42
Guidance from the CTA in this context is irrelevant from the DOT's perspective and carries no weight in US law.
strickerj, nexusCFX and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by strickerj
By that logic, any maintenance delay or cancellation between Canada and the U.S. for the last year and a half would be covered. I'd interpret the bolded part as being a disruption as a result or consequence of the advisory.
My point wasn't that airlines are fudging the reason of the cancellation, but rather that the CTA (via this determination) has made the definition of "uncontrollable" within the context of COVID-19 cancellation very broad. Decreased DEMAND due to travel advisory to any country (such as the USA), normally could be considered as commercial decision or controllable, would now fall under UNCONTROLLABLE per this determination since the the cancellation (directly due to the decreased demand, but indirectly due to the travel advisory causing the decreased demand) is a de-facto cancellation due to COVID.

Plus given that most airlines have extra parked aircraft, no (Canadian) airline is cancelling due to maintenance these days, but rather due to COVID, staffing, duty hours exceeded, etc.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by seawolf
If it is outside carrier’s control, AC should either be operating all fights to/from US or none. The moment that only certain flights get removed from schedule but not others illustrates the carrier does indeed have control.

It's not Ottawa telling AC to cancel the morning flight and not the afternoon flight. It's not COVID being more transmittable in the morning but not the evening.

In any case, this is a DoT proceeding, don't know if a US judge is going to look at APPR. They definitely don't look at EC261/2004 claims.
My comment about controllable vs uncontrollable has nothing to do with the fiasco Air Canada has found itself in with the DOT as you have correctly pointed out a US judge will probably not care what the APPR says.

But both the CTA and the European Commission would disagree with the standard of an "uncontrollable or extraordinary circumstances" cancellation would dictate a all or nothing approach to flights. Even the EU recognized that de-facto cancellation (due to government restrictions) as a result of COVID would fall under extraordinary circumstances. Air Canada could reduce the flight schedule as a result of COVID restrictions (Say from 3 to 1 a day) bleeding demand and the causation of the cancellation could very well fall under "uncontrollable" or "extraordinary circumstances" per both CTA and EU guidelines.

CTA's proposed approach of refund for uncontrollable cancellations where re-protection cannot be offered within 48 hours is also problematic imo. Most passengers would still have CC Chargeback rights if their flights are cancelled by the airline regardless of the airline's reprotection offers.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
My point wasn't that airlines are fudging the reason of the cancellation, but rather that the CTA (via this determination) has made the definition of "uncontrollable" within the context of COVID-19 cancellation very broad.
I see what you mean. It's pretty absurd that CTA defined it that way, but I see many Canadians accusing them of being in the pocket airline industry. I'm not really familiar enough with the politics to make that judgement, but it does seem to fit given what's happened here. (Though I must say, all this kind of surprises me since I thought Canada had more favorable consumer protection laws than the U.S. That a Canadian government agency would consider it reasonable for a company to retroactively change the terms and conditions on a service and not refund for a service that can't be provided is baffling.) Either way, regardless of the CTA "advisory" (not law, but guidance - precisely what AC claims of the DOT's position), the airline has to follow the law in any jurisdiction where it operates.

Of course, all that's moot in my case since the tariff at the time of purchase did allow for refunds on the passenger's request for cancellations for any reason, and for tickets between the U.S. and Canada, the tariff at the time of purchase controls.
nli007 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: ba silver
Time to redefine the CTA' s mandate. If I was the PM I would turn the CTA into an enforcement agency and offer the top job to Gabor Lucaks, with uncontestable and absolute authority to order airlines to comply.
strickerj and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 7:26 pm
Original Member

My comment about controllable vs uncontrollable has nothing to do with the fiasco Air Canada has found itself in with the DOT as you have correctly pointed out a US judge will probably not care what the APPR says.

But both the CTA and the European Commission would disagree with the standard of an "uncontrollable or extraordinary circumstances" cancellation would dictate a all or nothing approach to flights. Even the EU recognized that de-facto cancellation (due to government restrictions) as a result of COVID would fall under extraordinary circumstances. Air Canada could reduce the flight schedule as a result of COVID restrictions (Say from 3 to 1 a day) bleeding demand and the causation of the cancellation could very well fall under "uncontrollable" or "extraordinary circumstances" per both CTA and EU guidelines.

CTA's proposed approach of refund for uncontrollable cancellations where re-protection cannot be offered within 48 hours is also problematic imo. Most passengers would still have CC Chargeback rights if their flights are cancelled by the airline regardless of the airline's reprotection offers.
If AC wins, that could embolden them to not refund for cancellations/delays going forward not just only due to COIVD but other Article 10 conditions unless they choose to do so out of goodwill; conditions such as weather/ATC/labor disruptions etc. So if the flight is IRROPS due to weather, you only get a voucher if you don't want to travel. 3 week strike? Too bad, here's a voucher.

Chargeback rights could also be affected as AC will respond to chargebacks that the the terms of sale clearly indicate non-refundable and here's a judicial ruling backing it up that this is indeed non-refundable unless it is within airline control..

That would also prompt US airlines to revisit their refund polices which currently allow for refunds due to day of departure delays exceeding certain time limits regardless of cause.

It will be ironic if that happens as the Air Passenger Protection Regulations will be enabling just the opposite of what it is named for.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 4, 2021 at 9:17 pm
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:26 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by seawolf
AC is fighting me over $1.36 USD. They provided a goodwill refund on my $83 USD ticket but withheld $1.36 because that was the amount of commission they paid OTA.
Just got an email out of the blue that AC just refunded to me the $1.36 Expedia commission they withheld from my refund last year. I would guess they spent more than $1.36 in labor cost just in flighting this and now processing the refund.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
AC took the points I opted for previously, but have yet to update the refund status.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Last minute BUMP!

July 12, 23:59 EST deadline is looming. Those who purchased tickets before April 13, 2021 for travel after February 1, 2020 but who didn't fly for any reason (whether because Air Canada cancelled the flights or for any other reason) have until 11:59pm ET on July 12, 2021 to request a refund from Air Canada, otherwise they'll be stuck with a travel voucher rather than a refund to the initial form of payment.
​​​
//last night, orbitz would only give me an internal case # for my refund request on a dead ticket. which instills no hope they will act in time.
​​​​​
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm holding on to my voucher for $323 or whatever it is. I can use that pretty easily and would rather not risk the 10x bonus Aeroplan miles being lost.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Anyone actually received a refund lately? I submitted my request on 5/6/2021 and all 3 of my reference numbers say still pending.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
I had a request sent 6/10 approved today
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by lewis_m
AC must hate me.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by lewis_m

lol I sent my request in April and they clawed the points back a week later. I’m still waiting for my refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.